Warsash

EJR Williams
5th December 2016, 21:34
Lets start one of for Warsash

EJR Williams
5th December 2016, 21:39
Started up a Facebook account for the cadet classes of 1975 https://www.facebook.com/groups/964183773623945/

enzoneo
6th December 2016, 13:07
I think you're covered by this one "School University College Dept of Navigation in Southampton". I was at the SON for 18 months in total, 1967 for MAR (OND) and later in 1969-70 for 1st year of Nautical studies degree at Southampton university.

BFPOMike
7th December 2016, 15:38
I was rusticated from the Warsah SoN in 1971 after an altercation with a group of locals after a night in the Rising Sun. There were a number involved but only those cadets on the Mid Apprenticeship Release course were rusticated, those on the OND course were let off with a warning.
It actually worked out well for me as there was a rail strike around that time and I was promptly promoted to Acting 4/O and packed off to sea. My salary went from around 26 a month to 104.
Now 67 I've often wondered whether I'm still rusticated from Warsash or whether I could go back to finish my MAR course?

Waighty
17th April 2017, 12:51
Search 'Warsash Association' - they're looking for new members and hardly a drain on resources at 15 per annum.

R798780
17th April 2017, 23:00
MAR Anderson Term, January to July 1967

cheddarnibbles
18th April 2017, 08:53
Some of the "yobbed" caps in that photo are awful. Most of them look like characters from 'On the Buses' !!!!
I bet old Billy Blythe would turn in his grave at the sight of them.

R798780
27th April 2017, 20:07
Some of the "yobbed" caps in that photo are awful. Most of them look like characters from 'On the Buses' !!!!
I bet old Billy Blythe would turn in his grave at the sight of them.
A tad narrow minded view, methinks: Some of us worked hard to get the lived in look; but a lot had to be down to squeezing the steaming bonnets into suitcases. They came out for stations, lifeboat drills and mooring stations so were quite busy, and tended not to blow off so easily in the wind with the more aerodynamic silhouette ! Just made sure the cap cover was clean and gleaming white.

barrypriddis
27th April 2017, 20:15
Hi Hugh. My hat looks quite respectable

saudisid
27th April 2017, 20:48
A tad narrow minded view, methinks: Some of us worked hard to get the lived in look; but a lot had to be down to squeezing the steaming bonnets into suitcases. They came out for stations, lifeboat drills and mooring stations so were quite busy, and tended not to blow off so easily in the wind with the more aerodynamic silhouette ! Just made sure the cap cover was clean and gleaming white.

Agree Hugh. As you say packing in cases did not help. But there again if you were not ex SON you were looked down. My pre sea started in 1776 or the abouts so more history.
Alan

R798780
27th April 2017, 21:04
Agree Hugh. As you say packing in cases did not help. But there again if you were not ex SON you were looked down. My pre sea started in 1776 or the abouts so more history.
Alan

No pre-sea in my case; straight into real life !

Michael Taylor
28th April 2017, 12:47
By twisting the steel band in your cap you achieved he South American look.....fashionable at the time.

Waighty
15th May 2017, 15:57
By twisting the steel band in your cap you achieved he South American look.....fashionable at the time.

Seizing wire was another favourite to get that pointy peak - very Shutz Staffel!!!!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
24th May 2017, 16:11
My son is there now, and another friend was on the Superyacht side of things recently. The site is being vacated as I think we all know; a casualty of that beautiful view...

james barker-simson
19th June 2017, 06:52
Hi Mike,
Remember it well,thee and Jacko,we were out on the Radar boat at the time.I got the boys to hold a stop work in support of you lot but was shafted by the Sotton kids.Spines of a chocolate frogs.
Got banned from doing my tickets there,awful place really.
Second mates in London was fun wasn't it!!!!!!!
Keep the pecker up.