Roddy MacSween

Dartmouth Mariner
22nd December 2016, 14:46
Some of you may remember Roddy, who came from Skye. He died on 20th. December after illness. I have no further details. I knew him from the cadet course at Glasgow School of Navigation in 1962 - 63.

derekhore
22nd December 2016, 15:24
Some of you may remember Roddy, who came from Skye. He died on 20th. December after illness. I have no further details. I knew him from the cadet course at Glasgow School of Navigation in 1962 - 63.

We had a Roddy MacSween as AB on the 'Tillerman' (Rowbothams) when we sailed the Western Isles on BP charter - he came from Benbecula though and was married to Morag.
An excellent seaman but liked a drop of the hard stuff.

Dartmouth Mariner
22nd December 2016, 16:10
Sorry, but that's not the same person. The Roddy MacSween I knew went to sea as a cadet with Denholms and was later running his own business in Aberdeen.

John Cassels
22nd December 2016, 19:25
Just seen you post I've been in regular contact with Roddy for many years but didn't know about this. We were together on the Crinan 1963.

Dartmouth Mariner
22nd December 2016, 23:05
John,
I haven't seen Roddy for at least seven years when we last met up in Grangemouth. I got the news from one of the other guys from the cadet course who kept in touch more regularly and recently than I did. I know that he retired to Skye.

Bill Morrison
23rd December 2016, 19:12
Aberdeen Press & Journal today.
Captain Roderick MacSween passed away at A.R.I. 19/12/2016.
Funeral service at Broadford church Isle of Skye. Wednesday 28th December at 11.00 am

George Porteous
26th December 2016, 19:22
Sorry to hear of Roddy Masweens demise. If he was a cadet with Denholms I sailed with him in 1964 as a cadet on the Naess Spirit, my second ship. There were four cadets, one was called Gus something and he became a policeman in Glasgow, can't remember the senior cadets name (old age!!!!!). Am I right in thinking Roddy was related to Compton MacKenzie? Did he originally live in Applecross?
George Porteous

rod holroyd
17th January 2017, 17:09
sorry to hear of roddy and his death, sailed with him on my first ship crinan 1963
a great character, not many of the crinan 1963 intake left?
condolences to his family
rod holroyd

John Cassels
17th January 2017, 18:44
sorry to hear of roddy and his death, sailed with him on my first ship crinan 1963
a great character, not many of the crinan 1963 intake left?
condolences to his family
rod holroyd

Sent you an email about 3 weeks ago Rod !! .