Hi all

Popeye1975
1st February 2017, 20:40
Ex-RN Bunting (Signalman) served from 1975-1980, but I am also a part-time freelance writer currently engaged in writing the wartime story of my father, Signalman Lewis Hale JX/165696. I will probably be visiting this site on more than a few occasions as the RN Service record I applied for and received gave absolutely no mention of any of his ships. This a problem familiar to many people who have looked for the history of RN Personnel in WW2.

Looking forward to sharing information on here

Pompeyfan
1st February 2017, 20:56
Popeye1975

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard.

Popeye1975
1st February 2017, 22:46
Popeye1975

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard.

Cheers me dears. Glad to be here

R58484956
2nd February 2017, 09:33
Greetings Popeye and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

billyboy
2nd February 2017, 09:58
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all all this great site has to offer

Hugh MacLean
2nd February 2017, 18:32
Hi and welcome,

As you are probably aware RN service records tend to give accounting bases instead of sea-going drafts - this can be frustrating for researchers especially for proving medal entitlement.

Always worth checking Pay and Victualing Ledgers and if necessary make a Freedom of Information request if the MOD are being difficult about it.

Regards
Hugh ex sparks 1976-88

Popeye1975
2nd February 2017, 22:15
Hi and welcome,

As you are probably aware RN service records tend to give accounting bases instead of sea-going drafts - this can be frustrating for researchers especially for proving medal entitlement.

Always worth checking Pay and Victualing Ledgers and if necessary make a Freedom of Information request if the MOD are being difficult about it.

Regards
Hugh ex sparks 1976-88

Hi Hugh, thanks for replying. You would not believe what I have been through trying to get info on my dad for the last twelve months. I already have his p and v ledger..again, no ships. I have paid for the services of a highly accredited archive researcher (wave goodbye to £300) and despite weeks trawling through websites, the National Archives, NMRN, National maritime museum, forums, facebook pages, I know not one single new fact about my dad that I didn't know this time last year. His service number does not appear anywhere.(?HUH)

Popeye1975
2nd February 2017, 22:17
Hi Hugh, thanks for replying. You would not believe what I have been through trying to get info on my dad for the last twelve months. I already have his p and v ledger..again, no ships. I have paid for the services of a highly accredited archive researcher (wave goodbye to £300) and despite weeks trawling through websites, the National Archives, NMRN, National maritime museum, forums, facebook pages, I know not one single new fact about my dad that I didn't know this time last year. His service number does not appear anywhere.(?HUH)

..oh, and I forgot...done the FOI request too. Got fobbed off with MoD codswallop there as well

Hugh MacLean
2nd February 2017, 23:07
Yes, I have seen both success and failure via this route but thought I would point it out just in case you hadn't gone down that road.

Was he born in 1921, if not could you let us know his date and place of birth?
Regards
Hugh

Popeye1975
2nd February 2017, 23:57
Yes, I have seen both success and failure via this route but thought I would point it out just in case you hadn't gone down that road.

Was he born in 1921, if not could you let us know his date and place of birth?
Regards
Hugh

Yes he was, April 23rd 1921, Chalk Farm, London. Serial no JX/165696

Hugh MacLean
3rd February 2017, 19:02
Looks like we have been in touch on another site :)

I have a Lewis Hale as a deck hand aboard QUEEN MARY joined 3-5-1943, along with 14 other deck hands, at Greenock and arrived New York 11-5-1943. Deck hands in this context would mean DEMS gunners. He was discharged on arrival at New York. He had been at sea for approx. 6 years so joined the RN around 1937. Unfortunately no official number given so I cannot be 100% sure it is him.

Regards
Hugh

Popeye1975
4th February 2017, 12:19
Thanks to all for your warm welcome...sure I will have a hoot on here. Hugh...are you the same Hugh Maclean I know from another site?

Hugh MacLean
4th February 2017, 13:31
Yes one and the same Popeye.

Popeye1975
4th February 2017, 13:36
No, unfortunately definitely not him Hugh, as my dad joined the Navy at Royal Arthur 12 October 1939. before that he was working for Gilbeys the Gin makers at Chalk Farm

Looks like we have been in touch on another site :)

I have a Lewis Hale as a deck hand aboard QUEEN MARY joined 3-5-1943, along with 14 other deck hands, at Greenock and arrived New York 11-5-1943. Deck hands in this context would mean DEMS gunners. He was discharged on arrival at New York. He had been at sea for approx. 6 years so joined the RN around 1937. Unfortunately no official number given so I cannot be 100% sure it is him.

Regards
Hugh

Hugh MacLean
4th February 2017, 17:18
On your FOI request what did they say? We know they kept P & V ledgers up to 1951.

Regards
Hugh

Popeye1975
5th February 2017, 11:13
Hi Hugh...what I have is a record extracted from his P & V ledger, not the whole thing. Would the actual ledger show much more?

Hugh MacLean
5th February 2017, 17:03
His P & V ledger should list all his ships. His service would have been extracted from it as only his records would be of interest to you.

Seen this: http://www.vandwdestroyerassociation.org.uk/HMS_Westminster/ship%27scompany.html and looks like there may have been a change due to cost which doesn't surprise me one bit.
May be worth contacting the site for his experiences.

If an organisation doesnít provide you with the information you requested, you should first ask them to review their decision.
You can then complain to the Information Commissionerís Office if youíre still not satisfied. So you should complain to the ICO if I you are not happy with the way your FOI was dealt with. I know it is a difficult one as they don't deal in plain English but in a cryptic language all of there own but don't give up on this.

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

Regards
Hugh

Popeye1975
6th February 2017, 00:25
Thanks Hugh, will get straight onto that tomorrow

His P & V ledger should list all his ships. His service would have been extracted from it as only his records would be of interest to you.

Seen this: http://www.vandwdestroyerassociation.org.uk/HMS_Westminster/ship%27scompany.html and looks like there may have been a change due to cost which doesn't surprise me one bit.
May be worth contacting the site for his experiences.

If an organisation doesnít provide you with the information you requested, you should first ask them to review their decision.
You can then complain to the Information Commissionerís Office if youíre still not satisfied. So you should complain to the ICO if I you are not happy with the way your FOI was dealt with. I know it is a difficult one as they don't deal in plain English but in a cryptic language all of there own but don't give up on this.

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

Regards
Hugh

Popeye1975
12th April 2017, 21:56
Thanks Hugh, will get straight onto that tomorrow

Hi Hugh...brief heads up. I have been assigned a case officer to deal with my case. That's as far as it has got to date.

tsell
12th April 2017, 23:30
Hi Popeye, you may have already tried this site. However, a few days ago they informed me that they have my uncle's war record. He was a Japanese POW.

https://www.forcesreunited.co.uk/forces-war-records/

Taff