The Worcester, Greenhithe, Kent

Phil McDonald
9th February 2017, 07:59
Attended between 1971 & 1973 as navigating officer cadet, between voyages. Met my future wife on board at a disco on March 15th 1973. She was came as one of a group of girls from Dartford teacher training college.

Phil

TOM ALEXANDER
10th February 2017, 07:45
Attended between 1971 & 1973 as navigating officer cadet, between voyages. Met my future wife on board at a disco on March 15th 1973. She was came as one of a group of girls from Dartford teacher training college.

Phil

Hi! Phil,

Welcome aboard -- I was on the Worcester 54-56. Probably a matter of syntax, but I don't remember having a disco aboard? Before that I attended Dartford Grammar School, leaving the same year as Mick Jagger started there as a "new boy"! I didn't know about a teacher training college, although the Dartford Grammar School for Girls was just around the corner, and we had adjoining sports fields. That did make for some "Shennanigans" like several boys jumping over the dividing fence to retrieve an errant ball while the girls were playing field hockey, resplendant in their green bloomers! (Gleam)

Phil McDonald
10th February 2017, 08:23
Hi! Phil,

Welcome aboard -- I was on the Worcester 54-56. Probably a matter of syntax, but I don't remember having a disco aboard? Before that I attended Dartford Grammar School, leaving the same year as Mick Jagger started there as a "new boy"! I didn't know about a teacher training college, although the Dartford Grammar School for Girls was just around the corner, and we had adjoining sports fields. That did make for some "Shennanigans" like several boys jumping over the dividing fence to retrieve an errant ball while the girls were playing field hockey, resplendant in their green bloomers! (Gleam)

There wasn't a permanent disco on board, it was a mobile disco that was set up for the evening. :)

There was certainly a teacher training college in Dartford in 1973, because I visited it, it was a couple of hundred yards from the Orange Tree pub.

I thought having to use liberty boats to get to and from the Worcester out on the Thames was really cool. We all had duty evenings to man them.

Phil

Laurie Ridyard
10th February 2017, 09:27
Anybody here who went to the " Worester " ending 1960 ?

If so, did you know John " Lofty " Ward ?

He was a deck app. with me on M.V. " Trecarne ", but I think he only did 2 trips then packed it up.

Laurie Ridyard.

Octoberon
30th July 2018, 20:57

Phil

My name is Steve Hart and I was on the Worcester with you. I remember the disco too with the girls from Dartford PE College. A great night.. plenty of booze and women. How are you doing?

Phil McDonald
30th July 2018, 21:13
My name is Steve Hart and I was on the Worcester with you. I remember the disco too with the girls from Dartford PE College. A great night.. plenty of booze and women. How are you doing?

Hi mate,
Dartford was a mixed college of PE and standard teachers. My future wife was the latter kind. We separated 3 years ago after almost 40 years of marriage.
I had my 63rd birthday earlier this month, but was still 17 at that disco :)
Took my company pension at the age of 59 and am now happily retired, living on the border of Staffs and Cheshire.
Phil

david freeman
3rd August 2018, 07:45
i worked with an 'OLD Worcester' cadet-Claud Hamilton. He has since gone with honors to heaven.
Claud was a cadet, due to imperfect eyesight for the DOTI marine division sight test, Claud had the woolen test and became an engine cadet with Shaw Saville and Albion, sailed on the high seas and finally came ashore as a DOTI Marine Division engineer and ship surveyor, winding up as head of the examination department for both Deck and Engine cadets. ( Worcester some time in the 60's early 70's.)