Three words

george e mitchell
26th February 2017, 17:44
hi last valentines day I heard three words that sent my memory back
fifty odd years, and they were You old romantic. when i was 21 in 1962 I joined the Waiwera as junior engineer, My first trip was to NEW Zealand,we finally arrived in Auckland,She was a great party ship.Thats why most people kept on coming back, for more punishment, (The ship. not the parties ) As soon as we arrived the phone would ring and it would either be the nurses home or the telephone exchange girls looking fo a party on board, They all knew who to ask for the third engineer, he was the party arranger,The engineers clubbed together and paid for everything taxis etc. On this particular day we got a phone call from the ROMANIC, who was berthed at the loading dock opposite They were having a party and there were to many girls. could three guys come over, I went over with my accordion
Many of the ships had been given names by the girls and Romanic was
known as THE OLD ROMANTIC. both ships were built in 1944 during the war, if anything wasn't essential for running the ship then it wasn't there.They were built to be sunk in the war, BY the mid sixties they were floating wrecks, Engineers worked day and night just to keep them going,
PHASE 1
IT WAS ALWAYS SAID THAT SHIPS ENGINEERS WERE ALWAYS BROKE I managed my money ok, I was only broke most of the time.
We spent our money on Girls,Booze, Fancy haircuts and Clothes, The rest just got Thrown away on rubbish and non essentials.
Phase 2
The time had come to fall in Love, Got married THEN I was ALWAYS broke,Took my wife on a five month trip to AUSSIE on the IONIC.
she joined in with any parties.on board and ashore,Left the M.N.,and became an oil man working in all types of weather in the North Sea. money now spent on houses, cars and family
PHASE 3
has now kicked in which appears to be a rerun of phase 1
Spending money on girls, ( 77 year old version,) Booze replaced with ,Sunday lunches and cuppies of tea, Hair, Hardly any left and cut by my daughter Clothes, got a new shirt and jumper from my daughter and ordered to wear them . and the rest I will save for another day
So three words You old romantic have rekindled memories of 50 odd years, Shaw Savill best days of my working life

My daughters tell me I reminis about the past so I tell them How do you know where your going If you don't know where you've come from

I dont think I would stay I the m,n, now. my neighbours son has been on a container vessel Japan to Australia for two years and has never been down the gang plank except to go on leave, Ive made lots of friends in Aussie and N,Z.who I'm still in contact with.

ALL the best to every one. George

Norman Best
26th February 2017, 20:39
hi George, I know exactly what you mean. I was on the waipawa so I have got the T-Shirt as well. Sailed with Shaw Savill for 12 years. Who was on Waiwera, who do you remember in Kiwi and Aussie. I was better known as Trunch. All best Norm.

johnar
27th February 2017, 10:40
fifty odd years, and they were You old romantic. when i was 21 in 1962 I joined the Waiwera as junior engineer, My first trip was to NEW Zealand,we finally arrived in Auckland,She was a great party ship.Thats why most people kept on coming back, for more punishment, (The ship. not the parties ) As soon as we arrived the phone would ring and it would either be the nurses home or the telephone exchange girls looking fo a party on board, They all knew who to ask for the third engineer, he was the party arranger,The engineers clubbed together and paid for everything taxis etc. On this particular day we got a phone call from the ROMANIC, who was berthed at the loading dock opposite They were having a party and there were to many girls. could three guys come over, I went over with my accordion
known as THE OLD ROMANTIC. both ships were built in 1944 during the war, if anything wasn't essential for running the ship then it wasn't there.They were built to be sunk in the war, BY the mid sixties they were floating wrecks, Engineers worked day and night just to keep them going,
PHASE 1
IT WAS ALWAYS SAID THAT SHIPS ENGINEERS WERE ALWAYS BROKE I managed my money ok, I was only broke most of the time.
We spent our money on Girls,Booze, Fancy haircuts and Clothes, The rest just got Thrown away on rubbish and non essentials.
Phase 2
The time had come to fall in Love, Got married THEN I was ALWAYS broke,Took my wife on a five month trip to AUSSIE on the IONIC.
she joined in with any parties.on board and ashore,Left the M.N.,and became an oil man working in all types of weather in the North Sea. money now spent on houses, cars and family
PHASE 3
Spending money on girls, ( 77 year old version,) Booze replaced with ,Sunday lunches and cuppies of tea, Hair, Hardly any left and cut by my daughter Clothes, got a new shirt and jumper from my daughter and ordered to wear them . and the rest I will save for another day
So three words You old romantic have rekindled memories of 50 odd years, Shaw Savill best days of my working life

My daughters tell me I reminis about the past so I tell them How do you know where your going If you don't know where you've come from

I dont think I would stay I the m,n, now. my neighbours son has been on a container vessel Japan to Australia for two years and has never been down the gang plank except to go on leave, Ive made lots of friends in Aussie and N,Z.who I'm still in contact with.

a great descriptive post,it's how we would all like to remember the past--cheers---

Samsette
27th February 2017, 18:40
Post #1 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) - a life well lived, as they say. Thanks for sharing.(Thumb)

Bubba3
27th February 2017, 19:32
Good post all used to gather round the phone the minute they were connected ring ring ..brill.

Bill Morrison
27th February 2017, 20:17
Well George you have certainly taken writing you memoir's on the internet, in many parts it's like a reflection of my sea going days. New Zealand was a magic place in those days. I return there once a week courtesy of Skype to an old shipmate of almost fifty years. He tease's me about the weather saying how to hell can you live in that damp wet climate and takes his laptop for a walk round the garden in that beautiful sunshine.
Bill

george e mitchell
27th February 2017, 21:12
to NORMAN BEST. The WAIPAWA was a very old ship, 1934 vintage if its the one
that was scrapped in 1968. I did come across an engineer who was known as Trunch. I'm not 100% certain but I think it was on a Shaw Savill ship called
the Doric.I was a relieving junior engineer for about two months, while she was in the Shipyard possibly Smiths Dock in North Shields I know
we used to climb over the shipyard fence to get to the Jungle Bar . then we found out there was always a small gate always open further down the road,
( I don't know if that was rated a good place or a bad place, ) depending on your point of view.it was wild at times. mid sixties.but it was always a place of fun in the Dorics eyes. My friends and family who still live in AUSSIE AND NEW
Zealand are all in their eighties. I'm THE YOUNGEST AT 76..MELBOURNE. GEELONG WELLINGTON AND CHRISTCHURCH. if you like a good story ive put
nine years of my life in Shaw Savill on another Shaw Savill site. Memories and culture starting April 14 th 2016, .

Its a long time now for names on the Waiwera but here goes, CHIEF Fred Norden Geordie.
2nd eng Tommy Hoy from New Zealand 4TH Don Daws Aussie.
5th Dennis MCFADGEN Irish Junior Dessie AULD Aussie and Myself Scottish Chief elect Bob Little Not bad for somebody who cant remember what I had for lunch yesterday, sign of age creeping up.

Well all the best to ALL GEORGE

george e mitchell
27th February 2017, 21:43
hi Bill Morrison, It was you that told me to come on to this site, Ive never been to bed before 2 am since I started writing, Memories and culture appears to be slipping away, only a few posts in the last six months. ive still to catch up with
you. ive only 33 posts you have hundreds, Like you I have always thought New Zealand a magical place. North island lovely climate, south island more like home.Port Chalmers and Dunedin and of all places Bluff. All very friendly people.
Made us all welcome. in BLUFF I went to a few parties ashore where I would take my accordion with me, I played in Stordies Accordion band in Aberdeen when I was a teenager, so I wasn't to bad, nearly all Scottish music I had a job lined up in the Invercargill freezer works when I was 2nd refridge on the Suevic, but my parents and my wifes parents were not in good health so we decided to stay in ABERDEEN I was last in Cove last December 16. If I had been myself I would have had a look to see if I could find your place, I think I still know the AREA but its changed a lot
I don't use Skype although my laptop is fitted for it. I send pictures of the snow and ice and he sends pictures of barbeques and Sunshine. He was chief and
and I was 2nd on the AFRIC just fifty years ago We discovered each other on this site one year ago, He lives in Geelong Aussie
WELL ALL THE BEST FOR NOW AND I LOOK FOR ANY POSTS YOUVE MADE
GEORGE

ali mitchell
28th May 2017, 09:49
a great descriptive post,it's how we would all like to remember the past--cheers---

hello everyone. well i turned my laptop on a wee while ago to have a quick look at evryones threads and stories about my dad george mitchell. And a couple of hours later here i am still reading(*)) My dad has an amazing way of writing about the past and bill morrison i will take my dad to aberdeen as redmoss aint changed that much. Everywhere else has changed but if he sailed all around the world im sure he will find his way. And its also true that he tells us that you need to know where you came from to know where your going. i have seen many slides with boats and former crew on board and feel as though i know you all. keep the stories coming dad and im so proud of you for sharing your amazing past with us all. love alix

Brian Wright
1st June 2017, 11:13
PHASE 1
Phase 2
PHASE 3

Fantastic post George ,
I was 5 years behind you joining the Delphic in 1967 when I was 21, loved my trips around the OZ/NZ coasts with great memories and the fun we had with the ships parties, but you do have a wonderful way with words, looking back there was something special about being at sea in those days, despite on a return trip home spending 35 days at sea repairing water leaks bloody Doxfords!

Brian Wright