Queen Victoria refit

spongebob
3rd April 2017, 06:28
A lady friend has recently completed a 39 day cruise on the Queen Victoria and enjoyed it so much she plans to go again but must wait as the ship is due to go into dock to ,Quote, "have a whole new back put on it".
Sounds a major but cruising old ladies could get it wrong.
Does anyone know what is planned for the ship?

Bob

Stephen J. Card
3rd April 2017, 07:43
Adding an extra block of cabins at the after end of the superstructure. This would make her to be the same as the ELIZABETH. If they can cram on a cabin or few they will.

chadburn
3rd April 2017, 08:09
Adding an extra block of cabins at the after end of the superstructure. This would make her to be the same as the ELIZABETH. If they can cram on a cabin or few they will.

Sounds like a bit of the old Greek style of doing business has crept into the Q.V. Management.

Mad Landsman
3rd April 2017, 08:49
Just shuffling things around and redecorating.

The Chart Room, which I thought was one of the best lounges on the ship, 'will be moved' - Presumably the prime space just under the bridge will be used for something which makes more money.

More here:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-victoria1/refit-for-a-queen/

Mad Landsman
3rd April 2017, 11:45
Correction to that - I was mixing up ships (Blames wife.... )
The Chart Room area on Queen Victoria will be closed off and become the Britannia Club.
The Lounge I was thinking about is the Commodore Club and stays, which is good.

Looking at the before and after deck plans - The Aft ends look identical, so no big change there.

Stephen J. Card
3rd April 2017, 11:59
The aft end on the 'Sicky Vicky' is more sloped. The Elizabeth's is almost vertical. She was built that way. A bit of the way HAL's Vista class.

Both ships are quite nice. I wish designers would stop playing around with nice ships!

Stephen J. Card
3rd April 2017, 12:03
Sounds like a bit of the old Greek style of doing business has crept into the Q.V. Management.

LOL.

Add more cabins = more passengers.

No extra public spaces.

More cramped place.

Less service to manage more passengers.

All those nice terraces on the after deck will be ruined.

Mad Landsman
3rd April 2017, 12:15
I have now had a good look at the current Cunard brochure which shows before and after.

The Aft end suites are still identical, size, name, layout.
The additional cabins are being inserted forward of those suites and, as Stephen says, the whole aft end will change.
That is a shame because I thought that the slope looked better.

Confusingly the profile view of the Lizzy in the brochure shows a sloping stern.

Stephen J. Card
3rd April 2017, 14:21
Yes, I doubt the person picking the image in the brochure knows what ship it is.

The real to tell them apart from ahead is the canopy above the to observation deck. The Victoria's is 'open' and uncovered. Elizabeth's is closed and covered... tall & white.

Personally I think the Victoria looks better than the MaryTwo!

Dartskipper
3rd April 2017, 21:32
Just shuffling things around and redecorating.

The Chart Room, which I thought was one of the best lounges on the ship, 'will be moved' - Presumably the prime space just under the bridge will be used for something which makes more money.

More here:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-victoria1/refit-for-a-queen/

Love all the Marketing Speak! (On the link.)