Porthmadog Master RG Jones.

Richard Bray
17th April 2017, 14:18
Hi everyone, Richard Bray. originally from a Welsh family in Liverpool, now living in Japan. My grandfather RG Jones held a Master's certificate (Steamship), one of two Masters in our family.

Richard Griffith Jones, born 1894, died 1955; was from Porthmadog, sailed with the Ellerman Line from 1938~1954, and I've just inherited his papers from my mother, as well as his name, and wanderlust.

Have been researching our family tree, now spread all over the world, found the ship that a couple of family members travelled on from Gravesend to Auckland in 1864 (Eagle Speed). From miners they became farmers, ending up with Jones Road, Jones farm and even Jones Bay, North of Auckland in the Warkworth area.

I hope to share some of these with you, as well as learn more of his travels and voyages. I attach a couple of pages from his logs, his Lewis Gunner certificate, and notes on airplane speeds to lead his guns.

I also have my childhood stamp albums, containing lots of stamps from his voyages and letters home, and noticed how many countries we both travelled to, though he sailed, and I flew!

Feel free to ask questions, I'll try to answer.

Richard Bray
Yokohama
Japan

billyboy
17th April 2017, 23:31
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all all this great site has to offer

R58484956
18th April 2017, 08:45
Greetings Richard and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

tsell
18th April 2017, 10:48
Hi everyone, Richard Bray. originally from a Welsh family in Liverpool, now living in Japan. My grandfather RG Jones held a Master's certificate (Steamship), one of two Masters in our family.

Richard Griffith Jones, born 1894, died 1955; was from Porthmadog, sailed with the Ellerman Line from 1938~1954, and I've just inherited his papers from my mother, as well as his name, and wanderlust.

Have been researching our family tree, now spread all over the world, found the ship that a couple of family members travelled on from Gravesend to Auckland in 1864 (Eagle Speed). From miners they became farmers, ending up with Jones Road, Jones farm and even Jones Bay, North of Auckland in the Warkworth area.

I hope to share some of these with you, as well as learn more of his travels and voyages. I attach a couple of pages from his logs, his Lewis Gunner certificate, and notes on airplane speeds to lead his guns.

I also have my childhood stamp albums, containing lots of stamps from his voyages and letters home, and noticed how many countries we both travelled to, though he sailed, and I flew!

Feel free to ask questions, I'll try to answer.

Richard Bray
Yokohama
Japan

Welcome from Oz, Richard - a great first post. At first, I thought you had misspelled Portmadoc, which I visited as a lad, until I checked with Wikipedia and found the 1974 name change.
Jones Bay I know very well as I used to dive there for mussels, scallops, and crayfish, many years ago. I've got Jones's in the family too - who in Wales hasn't?(Thumb)

Cheers

Taff

sidsal
18th April 2017, 19:26
Welcome Richard !
I am a Welsh Davies ( aged 90) and I am the proud possessor of a gunnery certificate the same as the one shown - mine was 1942 vintage. HMSEaglet in Salthouse dock Liverpool was the gunnery school and we were bussed out to Ainsadale sands where we fired live. We weretold in no uncertain terms to fire at the drogue towed by the biplane from |Woodvale RAF station and not at th eplane. The pilots at Woodvale condidered it a suicide mission as one of their planes was shot down by overkeen MN types !!