How to convert NEF to Jpeg

Shipbuilder
28th April 2017, 13:08
Have just got a Nikon D5100. Set it up to take NEF plus Jpeg. It does that OK, but all I can do is open the NEF and look at it. How on earth do you convert NEF to Jpeg? I have done all the obligatory Google searches, and they all give instructions apparently assuming I know everything about it anyway! Transferring the NEF to the PC, they wont even open, but just display Window32 error. Using Windows 7. Tried opening in Photoshop and that doesn't work either!
Bob

Dickyboy
28th April 2017, 14:18
Hi! you might have to use Internet Explorer, but you can convert pictures if they are opened in "Photo Gallery" When the photo is opened in Photo Gallery, click on the little tab "Make a copy" Then when "Save as type" appears, select the choice from the drop down menu that includes JPEG. You will then get the picture saved in JPEG as well as in the original format. It will appear as a copy or the file number will show with a (2) added to it.

Shipbuilder
28th April 2017, 15:22
Thanks, I don't think I have Photo Gallery, as I am on Windows 7! However, I eventually found out how to do it. I found a free online converter: https://raw.pics.io/ I entered the NEF file in that, and it went in OK. It then said I had to save it to Cloud, that fortunately, I do have. Sure enough, it turned up in my Cloud files, and I was able to download it back into the PC as a Jpeg, where I could then do all the usual things with it!
This new camera (well - 2nd hand) is very good, but it is also quite complicated, but I am making some good progress with it.
Bob

Dickyboy
28th April 2017, 16:14
Thanks, I don't think I have Photo Gallery, as I am on Windows 7! However, I eventually found out how to do it. I found a free online converter: https://raw.pics.io/ I entered the NEF file in that, and it went in OK. It then said I had to save it to Cloud, that fortunately, I do have. Sure enough, it turned up in my Cloud files, and I was able to download it back into the PC as a Jpeg, where I could then do all the usual things with it!
This new camera (well - 2nd hand) is very good, but it is also quite complicated, but I am making some good progress with it.
Bob

I recently got a new Canon, and had problems converting their files using the Canon software. . What I do is just remove the card from the camera, and slot it directly into the computer, and upload the pictures that way. They come up in the computer as a "DCIM" File which contains the pic's as jpegs. It does mean that I can't use the Canon software, but does simplify things no end. Pleased you found a way around the problem :)

Dickyboy
28th April 2017, 16:17
Photo Gallery is quite an old Microsoft/Windows program, and you could very well have it, even on W7. Or you might be able to upload it from the www.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Photo_Gallery

Shipbuilder
28th April 2017, 18:41
I tried putting the disk in the computer, and the Jpegs came across fine. The NEfs also came across, but wouldn't open at all. Normally, Jpegs are OK with me. Never even heard of a NEF until yesterday. My camera is set up to take one NEF and one Jpeg for each image. The idea being that the NEF will never downgrade with use, so it can be kept as a backup. In my case, on Cloud.
Bob

Dickyboy
28th April 2017, 22:13
This might explain it, but you seem to be doing the right thing. NEF is Nikons form of Raw file, which most "Big" cameras have. As I see it RAW files can be stored, but can't be opened directly, they need to be tinkered with (Converted) to JPEG, TIFF or whatever before they can be displayed on a computer. Looks like storing in the cloud does the conversion for you.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/products-and-innovation/nikon-electronic-format-nef.html

Shipbuilder
29th April 2017, 12:21
No, Cloud has no effect. Following on what you said, I uploaded a NEF direct to Cloud, and it arrived safely, but I could not convert it to a Jpeg. When I was first successful, it was coverted by the online link given above. But with them, the only option seemed to be to send the new Jpeg to Cloud, from where it could be downloaded back into the PC again! Don't know why they have to keep things so compliacted!
Bob

Tommy Kirkpatrick
29th April 2017, 12:48
Try this
https://raw.pics.io/convert-nef-to-jpeg

Shipbuilder
29th April 2017, 13:27
As I said in #3 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3) above, that is the one I did use successfully, but it required me to send the conversion to Cloud, from where I was able to download it back to the computer.
Bob

Duncan112
29th April 2017, 14:20
Nikon View or Nikon Picture Project which should have come with your camera will do the trick and enable you to view or tinker with the NEF files. At the back of my mind I think you can buy a more user friendly program from Nikon - eBay may be your friend also.

Shipbuilder
29th April 2017, 15:25
It did not come with anything, as it is 2nd hand, but I did get it from a reputable camera shop in the high street, with 6 months guarantee. At the moment, I am rathjer disappointed in it. The distance photographs are very good, but the close-ups are really not as sharply focussed as my onw Pentax X90. I took the image belwo on the Niokon this morning, adn I really expected better focus. At this stage, I am probably not doing something right, but it was on automatic.
Bob

Duncan112
1st May 2017, 12:39
Hi Bob,

You should be able to download the software here http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/23/D5100.html - my own is for the D200 so I'm not sure how compatible it would be with your camera?

The focus - it looks as if it is pulling focus on the chipboard base rather than the model - you should be able to alter the focus area although for close ups I tend to use manual focus.

The Nikon manual can be downloaded from the Nikon site also _ I found the Magic Lantern Guide a good buy for the D200 although they seem rather pricey for the 5100 from the usual sources.

Shipbuilder
1st May 2017, 12:49
It is all academic now, as I took it back this morning, and got a full refund. It happened to be the manager who served me. After we had gone through the usual "it works perfectly, you are just not setting it up correctly" routine, I said I still wanted a refund, and he agreed without argument. We had an interesting talk about it, and he actually said that I had been sold the wrong camera for what I wanted. That was to photograph small to medium sized items (up to about two feet long) on a table. I said that the images from the Pentax X90 were far superior to the Nikon D5100, and he agreed that they would be for that sort of thing. He said that what I actually needed was a "bridge camera," but I have decided to stay with my X90 until such a time as it conks out! After the refund, it was like having a great weight lifted off my shoulders, as I can go back to simple, but efficient photography.
Bob

sternchallis
2nd July 2017, 15:08
It is all academic now, as I took it back this morning, and got a full refund. It happened to be the manager who served me. After we had gone through the usual "it works perfectly, you are just not setting it up correctly" routine, I said I still wanted a refund, and he agreed without argument. We had an interesting talk about it, and he actually said that I had been sold the wrong camera for what I wanted. That was to photograph small to medium sized items (up to about two feet long) on a table. I said that the images from the Pentax X90 were far superior to the Nikon D5100, and he agreed that they would be for that sort of thing. He said that what I actually needed was a "bridge camera," but I have decided to stay with my X90 until such a time as it conks out! After the refund, it was like having a great weight lifted off my shoulders, as I can go back to simple, but efficient photography.
Bob

A Nikon D5100 is very similar to my D3100, with a 18-55mm lens you can take a photo of the Imperial Star quite easily, I have taken much closer images such as a strawberry flower in which you can see the wet pollen that the bee picks up.
That manager was was trying to tell you what you want to hear.
It is the lens that dictates the photograph, not the camera body.

If you are buying a DSLR you buy it so you can use it on manual to enable you to adjust the camera to suit the conditions, such as 20sec exposures or 1/2000 sec exposures, this you probably cannot do with a bridge and certainly not pocket cameras.
I never used the camera on automatic when I got it, but Aperture priority or manual.
You can set it on auto focus which is ok.
If you again decide to go for a DSLR it is worth buying a new one as it comes with the software for converting Raw to jpeg after tinkering with all the sliders to adjust the image to your liking.
Try googling Mike Browne , he is a photographer who has many short jargon free instructional videos to explain very many points of digital photography, taking each function of your camera and explains how it works and howand when to use it.
There are some good books written on particular camera models which teaches you how to use the camera, unlike the booklet or leaflet supplied with the camera and even the video supplied.
I borrowed many books from the local library on DSLR photography to educate myself on how to use it.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Shipbuilder
2nd July 2017, 15:38
Thanks, but there isn't the remotest possibility of me getting another DSLR! I have really had enough of them. I simply do not have the patience to learn how to use one properly, and the one I had was rather too clumsy anyway. I am still using my pentax X90, and it is still producing excellent photographs.
Bob