New user - Hello

von1
1st July 2008, 19:27
Hello to all,

I look forward to browsing all the posts, and hope to solve some of my seafaring ancestors' history.

Can I ask if anyone knew of my grandfather, Herman (or Harry) Smith? My mam tells me one of his early ships was the s.s Ronda, and later the BP Marketer and Engineer. He started as an AB and eventually became bosun; he retired when he was about 70 (about 1963). His father in law was John Henry Moffitt, who (family lore) apparently was an engineer out of Sunderland on one of the first ships to have a diesel engine. He was still alive by 1916, but none of the family seems to know much more. Any ideas on which ship it might have been would be very welcome.

Also my own father, Bill Sherlock, worked for James Fisher & Son of Barrow in Furness. I was very sad to read some threads on the fate of the Pool Fisher. We sailed, as children, with my dad on the Pool Fisher and knew Eric and Doris Carvill well. My dad died in September 1979, and it was heart-rending to see that Eric and Doris died not so long after.

Kind regards, Von

K urgess
1st July 2008, 19:30
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Von.
I'm sure the crew will help if they can we have some good researchers knocking about the ship.
Enjoy the voyage (of discovery).

non descript
1st July 2008, 19:39
Von, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

billyboy
1st July 2008, 23:13
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

benjidog
1st July 2008, 23:48
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

R58484956
2nd July 2008, 11:16
Greetings Von and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

von1
2nd July 2008, 17:31
Many thanks for the welcome messages. Much appreciated.
Kind regards, Von