seanlawler
3rd July 2008, 16:53
Hello from Co-Cork

My interest is coasters and irish ships 1940-1946.

non descript
3rd July 2008, 17:02
Sean, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.

K urgess
3rd July 2008, 17:50
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Sean.
Plenty of coaster enthusiasts in the crew to help out.
Explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

R58484956
3rd July 2008, 18:26
Greetings Sean and welcome to SN from a member in the south of England. Bon voyage.

Roger Jordan
3rd July 2008, 18:43
Hello Sean
Greetings from the far northwest (Co Mayo). Welcome to SN.
As part of a larger project, I am researching Irish owned and managed ocean-going vessels of the period 1940-50. Maybe we can compare notes.
Best regards
Roger

stan mayes
3rd July 2008, 20:29
Hello Roger,
During the war I was AB in the Anglo Saxon tanker NERITINA..It was her maiden voyage from the Clyde 7th December 1943 to 1st May 1944.
In convoy to New York and during atrocious weather conditions we had a collision with the tanker F.J.WOLFE...Arriving New York we then had a month in a Brooklyn drydock having repairs..Then to Philadelphia and loaded 12,000tons of petrol for Freetown and Takoradi..Convoy to Casablanca and another to West Africa..Then to Curacao and loaded diesel and kerosene for Dublin.
Many British tankers delivered oil products to Dublin during the war.
Arriving in convoy off Northern Ireland we entered the Mersey and a Royal Navy unit boarded us and removed our machine guns,breechblocks from the large guns and all amunitions to the land.
The reason was that Ireland was a neutral country.
We made the voyage to Dublin during the hours of darkness..
Following discharge of cargo we returned to Liverpool and paid off..
I understand that for political reasons the Irish could not own tankers.
I think the first tanker showing an Irish ensign was IRISH HOLLY after the war.
Can you please elaborate on this.
Regards - Stan

gdynia
4th July 2008, 00:26
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Roger Jordan
4th July 2008, 12:42
Hello Stan (and Sean)
Because of the shortages of “everything” in Ireland from 1941, and the reticence of foreign-flag vessels to visit Ireland, imports and what little exports there were, were carried mainly in British-registered tonnage. The entire petroleum import was carried in British ships, both ocean-going and coastal.
Certainly politics played a big part in Irish merchant shipping, including of course the setting up of the state-owned Irish Shipping Ltd, and much was dictated by the United States because of the State Department’s “disappointment” that Ireland failed to join the Allied cause.
I am not totally sure about the first Irish-owned tanker postwar, but as far as I can establish, the 56-strong Irish merchant fleet at the end of 1939 did not include any tankers, and this was still so in 1945. It is probably correct that the first Irish tanker in service postwar was the 1954-built IRISH HOLLY.
However, importantly, and to answer one of your specific points, Inver Tankers Ltd, a subsidiary of Andrew Weir, had seven 14,000 tons deadweight motor tankers under Irish registry during 1938-39. These tankers were ordered in Germany in 1936 by Crusader Petroleum Industries Ltd to service an oil refinery that was to be constructed near Dublin, but the refinery project was cancelled. The tanker order contract was passed to Liffey Transport & Trading Co Ltd, Dublin, and in 1938, title passed to Inver Tankers Ltd. The tankers remained on the Irish register until a few days after the start of the Second World War, when, together with eight Irish-registered vessels owned by Christian Salvesen, they were transferred to the UK. All seven tankers were war losses.
Regards
Roger

benjidog
4th July 2008, 22:51
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

stan mayes
4th July 2008, 23:14
Hello Roger,
Many thanks for your detailed explanation ,I knew nothing of what you have posted.
I do remember seeing the Inver tankers in the Medway quite often prewar.
They discharged into small RFA tankers and were sometimes alongside battleships moored to buoys off Port Victoria and supplying bunkers directly to them..
I don't recall their port of registry.
Regards - Stan

billyboy
5th July 2008, 00:27
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offert