BISCO Ore Carriers

Kaituo
4th July 2008, 08:21
Is there anyone out there who remembers the BISCO Ore Carrier Fleet in the mid-late '60s ? British Iron & Steel Corporation chartered vessels from Denholms, Common Bros., Silver Line, Welsh Ore Carriers, Dalgleish, Houlders and a few other UK outfits and we ploughed back and forth across the Atlantic and occasionally to Murmansk or Monrovia for years and years chatting away on VHF or R/T but never meeting each other face to face.........
I was Mate with Silver Line in those days and spent many a dark night watch talking to guys on the 'BISCO Sked' who I would never ever meet.

Some of these ships were 'one-of-a-kind' , like N.Yorkshire Shipping's 'Rievaulx' and 'Ribblehead' which had midship accommodation.

Does anyone still have any photos of the BISCO fleet ?
At the time I was happy to get off the N.Atlantic run so did not bother to take any photos at the time.

gdynia
4th July 2008, 08:38
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

non descript
4th July 2008, 08:52
Kaituo, a warm welcome to you and thank you for joining the community. You find a whole host of threads and comments on these ore-carriers, but as a start, this one here (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4738&highlight=BISCO) will bring back some memories.

Bill Davies
4th July 2008, 08:57
Kaituo,
Do not forget John I. Jacobs who had several ore carriers on T/C to BISCO. Beechwood, Cherrywood etal. 10kts with a following sea (if you were lucky.

billyboy
4th July 2008, 10:27
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
4th July 2008, 12:26
Greetings Kaituo and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

K urgess
4th July 2008, 13:37
Welcome to the crew, Kaituo.
I see you have some responses already.
Explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

John Cassels
5th July 2008, 08:12
Is there anyone out there who remembers the BISCO Ore Carrier Fleet in the mid-late '60s ? British Iron & Steel Corporation chartered vessels from Denholms, Common Bros., Silver Line, Welsh Ore Carriers, Dalgleish, Houlders and a few other UK outfits and we ploughed back and forth across the Atlantic and occasionally to Murmansk or Monrovia for years and years chatting away on VHF or R/T but never meeting each other face to face.........
I was Mate with Silver Line in those days and spent many a dark night watch talking to guys on the 'BISCO Sked' who I would never ever meet.

Some of these ships were 'one-of-a-kind' , like N.Yorkshire Shipping's 'Rievaulx' and 'Ribblehead' which had midship accommodation.

At the time I was happy to get off the N.Atlantic run so did not bother to take any photos at the time.

The Denholm ore carriers all had midship accommodation.

Kaituo
6th July 2008, 06:15
were some of those older Denholm ore carriers steam recip ? Could have been their speed, but that was a story that circulated in Silver Line at the time...

WilliamH
6th July 2008, 07:38
I sailed on Corys ore carriers in the early 60's. On a couple of occasions I sailed with Cpt Leo Clements, from Whitby, it was rumoured he had connections in the BISCO office in Middlesbrough and this was was why his ship never went into cold waters, only warm water ports. He also always seemed to have the same ER storekeeper onboard a guy Called "Tooshie" Turner from Tyneside.

DAVE F
6th July 2008, 08:29
I cannot see for the life of me as to how you place a new post...can only post a reply....This is a video clip I have posted on a small Merchant Navy Page I have on Multiply ... http://themerchantnavypage.multiply.com/video/item/23

maverick
6th July 2008, 11:31
kTaituo i sailed on mv silversand 1964/65 as3rd eng. longest trip vitoria s/america to GLASGOW. SHORTEST SEVEN ISLAND CANADA.ALSO INCLUDED
PORT ELIABETH S/A .LOWER BUCANNAN .MONROVIA .MURMANSK.BACK TO EITHER BIRKENHEAD. BRITISH WEST HARTLEPOOLS.NEWPORT.CARDIFF. SILVER LINE HAD 4 ORE CARRIERS BISHOPSGATE .ALDERSGATE. SILVERSAND/CRAIG.REGARDS MAVERICK.

Les Gibson
7th July 2008, 00:45
Hi Guys,
I was 'lecky with Common Brothers on the 'Afghanistan' and 'Iron Crown' from Feb. 1962 til March 1963. Some good runs; Cardiff-Vittoria. Double header Newport- Monrovia-Piombino-Algiers-Cardiff, and not so good; 3 in a row Bidston to Seven islands! Great ships for 'leckys, no cargo handling gear. Good feeders and good crowds. After that went to Bank Line that's when it went pear shaped.

Kaituo
7th July 2008, 01:16
Les Gibson got it right...... many a time while standing out on deck knee deep in snow and ice in Seven Islands, Narvik or Murmansk I wished I was an Engineer in a warm Engine Room. However the lack of cargo gear was a delight for Mates as well, except when a hatch section came off the rails.....

Kaituo
7th July 2008, 13:05
Maverick,
I sailed on the Silversand 64-65 as 3rd Mate. Henry Howey and Tuddenham were the Masters but cant recall the Chiefs although do remember Dougie Brown, 4/E , as we used to have a midnight beer together.

However do remember buying womens underwear and stockings from Woolworths in Glasgow and West Hartlepool for selling in Murmansk !
The great fear was getting caught wearing this stuff on the way to the Seamans Club where transactions took place .....

calvin
7th July 2008, 13:48
sailed with souter on longstone lindisfarne cheviot and dunstanborough castle.
sept isles lulea narvik monrovia tubareo vittoria rio de janero huasco port headland and dampier mizushima pepel freetown nouadhibou murmansk mossemedes st johns port cartier clarkson books no.24 to 26 has a good read and discribtion of ships charterd to bisco

JimC
7th July 2008, 21:13
were some of those older Denholm ore carriers steam recip ? Could have been their speed, but that was a story that circulated in Silver Line at the time...
Certainly were - Ormsary and Gleddoch thripple expansion rankin and Blackmores I think. I think but if you have a look in the denholm bit on this website you will learn more

Baltic Wal
17th July 2008, 18:58
I served on the Ribblehead, Rievaulx (twice) and Ripon when I was an apprentice.

There was a good section on the BISCO ore carriers in two editions of Ships in Focus with a large number of photos.

ARRANMAN35
17th July 2008, 19:13

Indeed yes, Ormsary and Gleddoch were both T/E Steam Recips, uncomplicated and reliable. Speed was comparable with the other vessels.
Did my time on both in 1960.
Archie

JimC
18th July 2008, 13:43
Indeed yes, Ormsary and Gleddoch were both T/E Steam Recips, uncomplicated and reliable. Speed was comparable with the other vessels.
Did my time on both in 1960.
Archie

Hi Archie!

I paid -off the 'Ormsary' at Workington in January, 1960. The 'old man' was Jas. Reid. I was third mate then.

JimC

Norm64
18th July 2008, 15:11
I sailed on Corys ore carriers in the early 60's. On a couple of occasions I sailed with Cpt Leo Clements, from Whitby, it was rumoured he had connections in the BISCO office in Middlesbrough and this was was why his ship never went into cold waters, only warm water ports. He also always seemed to have the same ER storekeeper onboard a guy Called "Tooshie" Turner from Tyneside.
I was a J/E on the Knightsgarth with Corys 64-65 approx. Captain was Leo Clemet & Tooshie was E/R store keeper We had orders one time for Murmansk but Capt. Leo said he would make a phone call result the Queensgarth was Murmansk bound and we sailed for Vitoria Brazil his knick name was little Leo
a great skipper but he didnt like to lose @ Monopoly I dont think our paths
have crossed as in my four & half years @ sea I never sailed with a certificated 2nd Engineer

regards
Norman Harding

muldonaich
18th July 2008, 15:19
Hi Archie!

I paid -off the 'Ormsary' at Workington in January, 1960. The 'old man' was Jas. Reid. I was third mate then.

JimCwas on gleddoch in60 think old men were furneux johnston and cromarty memory is fading one guy i will always remember is basil leach engineer from greenock good guy brgds kev.

Bill Davies
18th July 2008, 16:28
Norm64,
Quote:I never sailed with a certificated 2nd Engineer:Unquote
I too sailed in a few BISCO Ore carriers and never sailed with a certificated 2/Eng. In fact most of the British tramps I sailed in 61 through 67 never carried certificated seconds. Damn fine 'hammer and chisel' men I was told and several Chiefs said they preferred them to the certificated variety.
Bill

salvina
18th July 2008, 16:42
I sailed as lecky on Buries Markes "La Colina" in 1964 mainly to "Sept Isles", Almeria---Port Talbot, and as previously said a doddle of a job for the lecky.(Pint)

Calsatch
18th July 2008, 17:16
What about the Morar?
There was also the Trinculo
Manchester Ship Canal & Naess Trader when we had an air gun pellet through the bridge windows at the side.
Monrovia and the "Mission"
Happy days

chadburn
18th July 2008, 18:02
Arranman, did the steam jobs have Weirs pumps as I am sure I can remember that distinctive sound when we walked past one of them moored alongside Narvik Ore jetty, we had just de-canted from the ferryboat for a run ashore. Late 60's? There were a lot of C/E's who did not like the "New" Sandwich style Engineers and preferred the time served types.

ARRANMAN35
18th July 2008, 18:20
Hi Chadburn,
The boiler feed pumps were of the WEIR'S manufacture
as were the boiler fuel pumps, the fuel oil transfer ones
were made by THOM LAMONT, the steam "gennies" were
made by Allen.
A simple and straightforward, very reliable set up.
Archie.

ARRANMAN35
18th July 2008, 18:38
Hi Archie!

JimC

Hi JimC,

Was on the Gleddoch at that time, drydocked at Milford Haven,
did not join the Ormsary until early August, the C/O was called
Macintosh and the Master was Davies.
Archie.

Kaytee
19th July 2008, 10:25

Hi
I was a radio officer on the Gleddoch, Scottish Ore Carriers in the mid 60's, I remember the r/t skeds, checking where everone was. Spending days at anchor off Port Talbot waiting the spring tides. We went to Narvik, Lulea and North African coast.
Ken

JimC
19th July 2008, 18:35
was on gleddoch in60 think old men were furneux johnston and cromarty memory is fading one guy i will always remember is basil leach engineer from greenock good guy brgds kev.

remember them all well - especially Capt. 'one eye' Cromarty. Sailed with him on the Gleddoch in 1957 and with Jimmy 'effing' Johnston in the Broompark in 1960. Remember Basil as well.

regards,

JimC

chadburn
19th July 2008, 18:49
Thank you Archie, you could hear that distinctive sound when we walked along the jetty at night which was a surprise to me as I thought they were a diesel job by the look of them, although later on I worked with a Leccy called John Nettleton who I am sure told me the one he was on had a diesel main and steam auxilary's.

ARRANMAN35
20th July 2008, 17:57
Chadburn,
The remainder with the exception of Wellpark were all motorships
with steam auxiliaries, 3cyl Doxfords and two scotch boilers.
The main engines were mostly trouble free, the steam plant was the
area of most problems and this was usually due to the lack of
dedicated maintenance.
Otherwise not bad "jobs"
Archie.

captsunlight
29th August 2008, 12:10
Hi all I sailed with Silver Line on the SilverCrag and Souters on the Sheaf Wear, Sheaf Field, Lindisfarne and Bamburg Castle from 1960 thro to 1968
Mike Allan