Mersey Ferries

tapdnalop
11th July 2008, 11:27
hi, to all i,m part of a task group, trying to set up a meuseum for Mersey Ferries
if anyone has any artifacts fotos etc they would like to donate. contact annette
at mersey ferries seacombe wallasey ch44 6qy thank you

R58484956
11th July 2008, 11:39
Greetings tapnalop and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Bruce Carson
11th July 2008, 11:43
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Best wishes on the museum project.

Bruce

Steve Woodward
11th July 2008, 12:09
Welcome to SN, best of luck with your project

K urgess
11th July 2008, 13:36
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Best of luck with your project. I'm sure the crew will help if they can.

tapdnalop
12th July 2008, 17:41
Thanks, i,m also an ex merchant seaman, i worked for Houlder bros, Blue Star, Palm line, Bookers, and Stephenson Clarkes to name a few, i,m new to this computer malarky as you probably all can tell.

benjidog
12th July 2008, 19:05
Welcome from Lancashire.

Good luck with your project - I will come and visit your museum when it opens as long as you are not playing that dreadful "Gerry and the Pacemakers song!" :)

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
13th July 2008, 11:01
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

tapdnalop
13th July 2008, 16:14
hi benjidog, and all shipmates on the site, my next meeting regarding the museum is the sixth of august, to discuss ways of moving forward, any ideas or thoughts are welcome. one of the ideas i have had is to have an antiques roadshow, where people can bring artifacts foto's etc relating to Mersey Ferries. Not having sailed on the Royal Iris, it was sold before i joined the company, i will mention the support of like minded people in there hopes of bringing it back home, i dont know if you are aware that mersey ferries have purchased a german U-boat and have cut into 5 sections to view at woodside

tapdnalop
13th July 2008, 16:18
Also they purchased the beatles museum for 8.5 million so the thought of bringing the iris back as a floating museum sounds good to me but the man to convince is the director general of mersey travel Neil Scales, so send him your E-mails

Santos
13th July 2008, 19:00
I dont think for one second that Neil Scales will want to buy the Royal Iris - certainly not in the state she is in now. There is also the question of a berth -no way are Peel Holdings going to supply one for her having removed the Historic Warships and turned down the Manxman what makes the Royal Iris any differnt in their eyes - ships dont appear to be part of their plans in an ex maritime area.

Chris.

tapdnalop
13th July 2008, 21:29
hi santos, the e-mail is mightier than the sword it might just be worth a try, i was asking for a museum for over 8 years, and now we are finally having a go. keep the faith, Pat

gdynia
14th July 2008, 00:54
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Keith Adams
25th July 2008, 18:01
Hi Pat , I am ex-Wallasey schoolboy and frequent Ferry user in 1940s and 50s.
The last time I was at the Earlston Road Library, Wallasey, they had a glass cased builders model of the "Royal Iris II" on the staircase, a very precarious location ! ... I trust you now have that model. Have you any idea what happened to the 12 or so models of each class of ferry, from the Gem" up to the "Egremont, which used to grace the Seacombe Ferry Building concourse ?.
In 1951 I was interviewed by Wallasey Ferries, at their Seacombe Machine Shop, for a position as Apprentice Engineer - I was turned down ... went to sea on deck instead. Cheers, Keith.

doric
26th July 2008, 11:08
I travelled a lot, when berthed in Liverpool, 1950/55, on the Liverpool to New Brighton ferries but sorry can't remember their names. Terence Williams.

freddythefrog
26th July 2008, 12:17
Agree with Santos, nobody interested in any ships at Albert Dock or surrounding ones, even the Bar Lightship Planet, whose home belongs in Liverpool cannot get a permanent berth at the docks, hence that is why she is up for sale----- a disgrace indeed, Maritime Museum---they do not know what the words mean.
If it has a sail on it and looks like a yacht and they all wear green and yellow wellies you may be in with a chance!!!
Good luck with getting a berth for the ferry---you will certainly need it.
If it suits the woman on the walkways committee and as long as she is consulted and it does not block any light to a cafe or bar in the dock
then you may be in with a chance--she did not like the lightship and got rid of it because she was not consulted.!!! What power a woman has!!
regards ftf(Cloud)

AndyJohannessen
26th July 2008, 14:33
Hey freddie,you hit the nail on the head mate.No one at the Maritime museum is interested in ships.I had this problem with them years ago.you see those at the top are merely graduates in ......anything from RE to English,it doesn't matter it's just that they have a certificate to say they can manage, understanding of maritime history means nothing to them,which is why we have lost o much over the years like Royal Iris,Mammoth to name just a couple.
Lets take the Brocklebank Tug as an example.she was offered to the Maritime Museum by Alex TowCo for free and they refused! Saying it was too expensive to maintain.Luckily the Friends of the Museum took the ship on and it is thanks to them and others not connected to the Museum that we still have her around.
I e-mailed the asking for drawings of Indomitable for model making as they said they had all Alexandra's records, they replied saying they hadn't heard of the ship jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!I got them from Greenwhich and a kind gent on this site in the end.
Liverpool maritime museum is a joke with airheads in charge.......sorry.(Cloud)

tapdnalop
26th July 2008, 15:26
Hi keith, i think you had a lucky break not getting that job, just think of all the places you have seen, rather than, seacombe,woodside and the pierhead. Most of the model ships have gone missing, some are held at the williamson, we have been having talks to get some of these back to display in are museum, if we eventually get it together. ta Pat

Keith Adams
27th July 2008, 19:18
Hello Pat, A while back there was a thread all about the the then present location, ownership and condition of the "ROYAL IRIS" - there were pages of comments, back and forth, so there is a great deal of interest in the old ferry - probably all relocated into the "Ferries" section of this great site by our ever vigilant Moderators ! Good luck, sounds like you are going to need it. TTFN, Keith

tapdnalop
30th July 2008, 18:14
Hi Keith, Yes i've had a look at them, also there is a good site called www.yoliverpool.com and there is the same sort of comments there. Also plenty of pics of the Royal Iris she is not looking too good, it looks like a jungle is growing out of her decking. ciao Pat

tapdnalop
31st July 2008, 16:27
I travelled a lot, when berthed in Liverpool, 1950/55, on the Liverpool to New Brighton ferries but sorry can't remember their names. Terence Williams.

The Wallasey Boats where named after flowers, the Iris,Daffodil and snowdrop etc, these are the three names of the present day ferries, the Birkenhead boats where named after areas around Birkenhead. Mountwood ,overchurch,woodchurch Bidston etc.