Grand Canal Venice

gilgil61
12th July 2008, 04:22
In 1959 I sailed on the British Fulmar past the entrance to St Marks Square Venice and this was recorded by means of an photograph taken from the air and then sold on the ship.
Unfortunately this has been lost and I am trying without success so far to find somebody who has the photo or a photo of another ship or tanker so I can see if I can get a new copy.

Thanks Mike Griffin

K urgess
12th July 2008, 10:35
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Mike.
If one of the crew can help I'm sure you'll find out soon.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

R58484956
12th July 2008, 11:58
Greetings Mike and welcome to SN. Quite a few ex BP lads on board, so they might be of help. Thanks for signing on and bon voyage.

benjidog
12th July 2008, 14:17
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

You will find a photo of Fulmar in The Allen Collection together with a host of other BP vessels. Sadly it is not the Venice photo though.

http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen

Regards,

Brian

Bruce Carson
12th July 2008, 15:01
Mike, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's good to have you onboard.
I hope one of our members can come through with details of the photograph.

Bruce

Oceanspan
12th July 2008, 23:28
In 1971, I spent six months on a little Israeli coaster named the "Iddan" running from Israel up the Adriatic. The radio room equipment was off the old Furness Withy "Queen of Bermuda", as was all the saloon crockery, cutlery and table linen. We used to spend several days every month in the cargoship docks at the top of the Grand Canal. On one occasion, HMS Bulwark was anchored off St. Marks Square and we passed down her starboard side on the way back out to sea. She looked a fine sight and I was pleased to come across this photo recently showing her at that very time.

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/great_britain/pages/aircraft_carriers/hms_bulwark_r08_pennell_collection.htm

billyboy
13th July 2008, 10:23
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
14th July 2008, 00:56
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage