'ello and 'elp

Bob Theman
13th July 2008, 00:17
Even after 40years working alongside the grey funnel line I was quite diffident about entering the world of such erudite knowledgentsia as Ships Nostalgia seems to comprise. So I had a rummage down below for a while before stepping out on deck. WOW is all that I can say. Hi everyone !
I confirm that Ships Nostalgia is a seriously addictive pastime. Has anyone found a cure for this affliction ?
Having just read some caustic comments about coy profiles in a thread I hope that I didn't seem too shy about mine.
On the matter of threads (here come the 'elp bits ) how can you retrieve threads which you have expunged by accidentally pressing the wrong button ? I was thinking of sharing a tale about a mate who was driving one of those grey ships with sticky up things at the sharp end when an adjacent ship failed to "dip" to the white ensign, but lost the thread as they say.
The other cry for advice is about photos. SN Gallery is incredible and I was tempted to add a couple of my old pictures (my grandchildren seem convinced that I was on the Victory WITH Nelson) but most on the sight seem about a hundred or so kbs whereas mine usually comprise 2 or 3 megs. Does this pose a problem, please ?
I am really looking forward to this commission.

benjidog
13th July 2008, 00:26
Hi Bob and welcome to the site.

Here is an attempt to answer your questions:

1. SN Addiction: - sorry that is incurable so I can't help

2. Retrieving threads: You can't delete them and they don't go anywhere - each thread sits in a forum. When you select Forums from the top of the page you will find below the various forums. The thread you looked at earlier will be in there. Check out the names of the forums and it will be reasonably easy to find. If it is a general sort of thread you are likely to find it in either Mess Deck or News and Views from the Shipping World.

3. The size of your photos is determined by the software that produced them. You probably got software with your scanner or camera. Use it to open the file you want to make smaller, then look at the save options and you should be able to compress it. Failing that take a look in the "Computers and the Internet" forum where this has been answered before.

Regards,

Brian

Sister Eleff
13th July 2008, 00:28
Welcome Bob from Sydney, I am sure one of the mods will be on shortly to assist with your query. (I see Benjidog answered while I was posting!) If any one has found a cure for the SN addiction, they have taken it away with them - and left the rest of us suffering from the same affliction (==D)

ddraigmor
13th July 2008, 08:57
Always good to welcome new crew aboard! Welcome to the site!

Jonty

non descript
13th July 2008, 09:21
Bob, A warm welcome to you and I can see that Brian has answered your queries; the searching for the “lost thread” should produce a result – just put in the key words and hit search and if you fail to get a suitable result, just change the settings. I have to confess to not finding it so far, and I wonder if you were looking at a Gallery Comment (which is a different part of the site and uses different software). A search in that side if the site produced this one here (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=25445) that might have been the one you were looking at?

Steve Woodward
13th July 2008, 09:57
Bob,
welcome to SN from Suffolk, can confirm there is no known cure so joine in and enjoy, the water is warm
Steve

billyboy
13th July 2008, 10:15
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Bruce Carson
13th July 2008, 12:09
Bob, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It won't take you long to feel at home here.
It's an informal and friendly place. Become comfortable like the rest of the gang and enjoy our site.

Bruce

K urgess
13th July 2008, 12:29
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Bob.
I see the crew have come to the fore as usual.
The addiction can only be limited by several of your favourite tipple and falling asleep at the keyboard.
If you press the wrong button by mistake after typing in pages of nostaligia then the only answer is several of your favourite tipple and try again. I'm afraid the original is lost in cyberspace. Some members type it up as a word document first and paste it and some copy it to the clipboard before pressing any sort of button, just in case.
The site gallery software will reduce your pictures to the required size but if they're too big it hiccoughs a bit so it's best to try and get them to 900 pixels wide or 800 pixels high, maximum, before uploading.
Everything becomes clear in the end and once you've found your way around the ship you won't want to go ashore very often. Except at the ports you remember fondest of course.
Enjoy the nostalgia trip.

gdynia
14th July 2008, 00:55
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage