Stan Holbrook Commodore Bank Line

Tom Barley
14th July 2008, 10:32
I am researching the family history of my son in law Richard Holbrook Slade
and would like to know if anyone remembers his grandfather Charles Stanley Swinnerton Holbrook (Stan) whose life's career was with the Bank Line.

K urgess
14th July 2008, 11:37
Welcome aboard, Tom.
I remember Captain Holbrook. I did a coastal trip with him when he was Commodore of Bank Line.
There's a picture of him in the Bankline book "Seventy Adventurous Years".
And in my gallery if you do a gellery search on Holbrook.
We shared a few beers along the way because he seemed to have a soft spot for sparkies.
Cheers
Kris

billyboy
14th July 2008, 12:16
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
14th July 2008, 13:38
Greetings Tom and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Bruce Carson
14th July 2008, 13:46
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Tom.
Good to have you onboard.
Kris has started the ball rolling and chances are you'll be hearing from other members with stories to tell.

Bruce

johnmilne
14th July 2008, 14:04
Tom I sailed with Capt Holbrook around the UK coast on the "Lindenbank". At this time I was a acting Third Mate. I was amazed with the way I was treated by him. His wife was also with him and two of his daughters (Diane and Judith) came on board when we were in port. While in Avonmouth I was invited to his home in Bristol. It was in Avonmouth that I returned to being an apprentice again
In short I have good memories of him Mrs Holbrook and the two daughters.
Regards
John Milne

benjidog
14th July 2008, 23:22
Welcome from Lancashire.

I am pleased to see you have already got some helpful responses.

Good luck with your research.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
15th July 2008, 00:49
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Tom Barley
15th July 2008, 09:36
Tom I sailed with Capt Holbrook around the UK coast on the "Lindenbank". At this time I was a acting Third Mate. I was amazed with the way I was treated by him. His wife was also with him and two of his daughters (Diane and Judith) came on board when we were in port. While in Avonmouth I was invited to his home in Bristol. It was in Avonmouth that I returned to being an apprentice again
In short I have good memories of him Mrs Holbrook and the two daughters.
Regards
John Milne

Capt Holbrook and his wife Gertrude settled in Western Australia when he retired wherenhiseldest daughter Patricia lived >He died in 1971 and was cremated and his ashes were scatterd in the Gt. Australian Bight from one of the Bank Line Ships. Patricia died a few years ago but their daughter Diane
lives in Italy and Judith in Tasmania. I have done a lot of research on the Holbrook family who were In the RN from the 18th century

Dalby
22nd December 2009, 15:56
I sailed with capt. Holbrook on the Dartbank in 1959. He certanly was a big man in both statue and character although as a first trip 20 year old third mate I was somewhat in awe of him and did not get to know him well.

RayL
27th December 2009, 22:05
I am proud to say that I too sailed with Commodore Holbrook. It was on m.v Speybank Oct '66 to Mar '67, and I have given an account on the Bank Line and Speybank threads so I won't repeat myself here, other than to recall that I sadly lost my mother and had to receive the bad news from Commodore Holbrook when we arrived at Penang after sailing from Cairns. As I was the sparks, it would have been the height of cruelty to radio the news in the usual way so instead the local agent was informed by letter.

Later he said to me "How did I do, Sparks?" and I replied "Well, you could have told me to sit down first!"

RayL
18th April 2010, 19:15
Funny how ones mind works.

Just as though it was acting like a giant filter of long-redundant information, after 44 years it came to me the other day what Capt Holbrook would vehemently explode with if you said something to him that he deemed nonsense:

"Pi**pots!!"

bert thompson
19th April 2010, 07:48
Welcome to this wonderful site. Pleased to see that you are getting the information you seek
Best wishes
Bert.

Gerard Carmichael
23rd April 2010, 18:29
Just a line,to say I had very happy memories while serving with Capt. Stan. Holbrook on Cederbank 12/12/56 to 30/07/57 as 3rd Officer. Turbulent times in transit to join,due to outbreak of Israel/ Egypt conflict. Travelled 6 of officers on Strathmore via Capetown due to Canal closure. Once we were established on Phosphate run, Aussie / Naura or Aussie / Ocean Islands was a most enjoyable trade. Seeing Capt. Holbrook's name certainly rolled back the years. The Chief Mate was Mr Appelby,who relieved Mr Barnes who died in Buenos Aires, 2nd Officer was Mr D.Nicolson from Stornaway.

RayL
22nd May 2010, 11:38
Shortly after Speybank's arrival in Bangkok in Feb 1967, a colleague came and warned me that aggressive prostitutes had invaded the ship and I would be well advised to seal myself in my cabin immediately.

Later I learned that Capt. Holbrook had been caught on deck and was seen stomping about and roaring in protest, two prostitutes clinging to each thigh.