Steam Ship Edina

wombat42
15th July 2008, 10:22
Hi
My interest is the Steam Ship Edina built in shipyards of Barclay Curle in 1853. She sailed to Australia around the 1860s and was in service for 70 odd years.
I have collected numerous articles, photos, and other items over the years with the intention of writing a book one day.

roymuir
15th July 2008, 10:58
G'day Wombat and welcome to the site.
Edina sailed from Scotland to Australia in 1863 after being sold by Cowan & Co. of Leith who had purchased her the previous year from The Leith, Hull and Hamburgh Steam Packet Co. Howard Smith had her from 1875 til 1938. She last moved in 1958 and still remains at Coode Island, Melbourne.
All this you probably know but others may be interested.
Regards, Roy.

K urgess
15th July 2008, 11:50
Welcome aboard from northern England, wombat42.
Sounds like an interesting subject and I see another crew member has filled in some details already.
Explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

billyboy
15th July 2008, 12:06
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Bruce Carson
15th July 2008, 13:42
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Wombat.
Good to have you onboard.
We'll be looking forward to your postings on the 'Edina'.

Bruce

R58484956
15th July 2008, 19:13
G'day Wombat and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

benjidog
15th July 2008, 23:17
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Given your interest you may find the SN Directory of interest (see the tab on every page). You may feel inclined to make a start by creating a page about Edina on there pending the production of your magnum opus. If you decide to do so and need any help please feel free to contact me via the Private Message system (see top right of screen) and I will do my best to help you.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
16th July 2008, 00:43
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Cisco
16th July 2008, 01:50
She last moved in 1958 and still remains at Coode Island, Melbourne.
All this you probably know but others may be interested.
Regards, Roy.

Are you sure about that... I thought she was broken up at that yard on the west bank of the Maribyrnong (sp) just below Shepherd's(sp) Bridge, Footscray.

They were still breaking up ships there until about 1960.. I recall seeing one of the old sailing ships being broken up there at about that time.. it was one of the hulks that had been lying on the finger piers at Fishermans Bend.

Saludos Cordiales
Frank

roymuir
16th July 2008, 02:04
G'day Cisco.
She was sold to Gilberts Agency Pty Ltd in 1957 and on 19th Dec. 1957 towed up the Maribyrnong River to Footscray to be stripped and still remains beached at Coode Island. The info. comes from Ian Farquhars' book "Enterprise and Diversity". A history of Howard Smith Shipping.
Regards, Roy.

JohnBP
16th July 2008, 02:51
Welcome from Canada, great site, great salts.....

ian d.cameron
16th July 2008, 12:56
A couple of paintings of her
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/b/4/5/doc/b45771.shtml
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/b/2/8/doc/b28532.shtml

Richard Maskiell
16th July 2008, 13:37
Hi Wombat,
The Edina certainly had a long and eventful career; I've recorded at least 50 incidents and events in my records. I recall having seen a book on her called something like "The Romance of the Edina" in a second-hand bookshop a while back. If you're not already familiar with it you may find something on one of the second-hand book websites. She actually finished her days as the Dina, at least officially, being renamed in 1940 when she beacme a lighter.

Cisco
17th July 2008, 09:04
Hi Wombat,
I recall having seen a book on her called something like "The Romance of the Edina" in a second-hand bookshop a while back. If you're not already familiar with it you may find something on one of the second-hand book websites. She actually finished her days as the Dina, at least officially, being renamed in 1940 when she beacme a lighter.

'Romance of the Edina' by Dickson Gregory published in 1935 when she was still in service with HS. I've just found my copy and a quick google showed 3 copies listed for sale here and there.

I stand corrected about her being broken up prewar but don't think you can see the hulk any more...if she was eventually parked up behind Coode Island she has long since disappeared into land fill.. I'll have a look next time I am in Melbourne.