Prince Louis

neilwilsonla9
27th July 2017, 01:08
In the summer of 1949 I attended the Moray Sea School in Burghead, aged 17. The highlight of the month's school was a two day sail in the Prince Louis. During the course we were inspected at Burghead harbour by the Duke of Edinburgh who had been opening a fete at Gordonstoun.

Ken Wood
30th July 2017, 09:59
Used to see Prince Louis often in the Moray Firth. I heard she was not very sea kindly.

Bill Morrison
30th July 2017, 19:07
Neil. I possess a great a wee book titled Scottish Sail A Forgotten Era by Robert Simper. There is a section on both the Prince Louis with photographs.
Prince Louis (1) was a 78ft German ex-pilot schooner built in Bremerhaven in 1878. She was replaced in 1955 by a three masted Baltic trading schooner, which had been built in 1944, Prince Louis (2)

neilwilsonla9
30th July 2017, 20:11
Neil. I possess a great a wee book titled Scottish Sail A Forgotten Era by Robert Simper. There is a section on both the Prince Louis with photographs.
Prince Louis (1) was a 78ft German ex-pilot schooner built in Bremerhaven in 1878. She was replaced in 1955 by a three masted Baltic trading schooner, which had been built in 1944, Prince Louis (2)

Thank you very much for that information. It was Prince Louis (1) that I was privileged to crew on for a brief but memorable cruise in the Moray Firth. I had no idea she was such a vintage vessel! They built them to last in those days!
I've just ordered a used copy of the book from Amazon for 1p Plus postage!

rothesian
1st August 2017, 10:34
Used to see Prince Louis often in the Moray Firth. I heard she was not very sea kindly.

also known as " Spewie Louis "

neilwilsonla9
3rd August 2017, 12:33
Neil.. In the 2017 June Blue Funnel Association newsletter there's an article by 90+ James Main Burghead who attended Gordonstoun on a local scholarship 1938 and 1941 was one of the pupils that crewed "Prince Louis" (schooner "Henrietta" built Bremerhaven 1878) from Hopeman harbour Moray to relocate at Aberdovey North Wales via the Caledonian Canal, Oban and Bangor returning (as you posted) for the reopening of Gordonstoun 1947.
Copyright prevents my printing the full article but if you pm me your address I'll be happy to send you the newsletter..

Thank you, that would be good. If you can contact me at [email protected], I can give you my address.