Sam

Prior Fan
18th July 2008, 15:20
I have been a fan of Pior for many years and once worked for them. I am still in touch with some of the managers. In 2006 RMC was taken over by Cemex and they basically ulled the plug on many o their suppliers including Prior.

Priors have now struck up a deal with Euromix Concrete at Greenwich which from the activity there seems to be growing strong. Euomix have also got other places including a new one at Silvertown. I have been told tat they have bought the Polla Rose and are running nder the Thames Shipping name but are collecting the gravel from Priors at Fingringhoe. At the moment Priors do not have any customers on the Thames above Greenwich. They used to e at Poplar but got taken out by the docklands development so they moved their offices lock stock and barrel to Fingringhoe where they have run their business since 1989 ish.

Although they are only running three barges at the moment theres nothing stopping them from bringing the others back into operation. I know LewBro says the Lodella and Nigel are up for sale but the Brenda and James will be back as soon as they get more crews.

Priors have not been taken over and nor will they be. They have been going over a hundred years and I for one hope they go on for another hundred.

Sam(==D) (==D)

R58484956
18th July 2008, 16:59
Greetings Sam and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Trader
18th July 2008, 17:44
Welcome aboard Sam. I am sure you will like the trip. There is a thread going on at the moment about Priors. I remember them from the 60's running to Rowhedge just upriver from Fingringhoe. I worked on a deep sea motor yacht at the time and we used to lay up at Ian Browns yard for the winter. After the lay-up we anchored off Brightlingsea doing trials etc. and used a motor boat to ferry us back and forth. It belonged to Brian White nicknamed "Blackie" who was mate on Priors and went on to become skipper.
Did you know him at all?. I think he lived at West Mersea.

Alec.

non descript
18th July 2008, 17:48
Sam, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community amd posting a nice introduction piece. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Bruce Carson
18th July 2008, 17:50
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Sam.
Make yourself at home and join in our friendly discussions.

Bruce

benjidog
18th July 2008, 23:11
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
18th July 2008, 23:28
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
19th July 2008, 01:30
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Prior Fan
19th July 2008, 07:44
Welcome aboard Sam. I am sure you will like the trip. There is a thread going on at the moment about Priors. I remember them from the 60's running to Rowhedge just upriver from Fingringhoe. I worked on a deep sea motor yacht at the time and we used to lay up at Ian Browns yard for the winter. After the lay-up we anchored off Brightlingsea doing trials etc. and used a motor boat to ferry us back and forth. It belonged to Brian White nicknamed "Blackie" who was mate on Priors and went on to become skipper.
Did you know him at all?. I think he lived at West Mersea.

Alec.
I used to work more in London, but I know Brian Whiting (Blackie) He still lives on Mersea Island and does a bit for Priors now and again.

Sam