Hello

PRAYN3
19th July 2008, 23:21
My name is Norma Nisbet Pray and I need some help finding information about my grand-uncle, John Gray, who worked for Clan Line. He was born Oct. 11, 1878 in Glasgow. I would appreciate any information anyone might give me on how I can find out more about his years with Clan Line.

I do have a picture of him in uniform (not military) and on the back my father wrote: John Gray, Chief of Clan Line boats-I'm not sure what that means. His picture, unfortunately, is in black and white so it's a little difficult describing his uniform but I'll do my best. I would post his picture with this note but I really have no idea how to do that.

He's wearing a cap with a shiny brim (looks like it's black), the top of the cap is dark, about 2" high and then above that the cap is white. It has a round insignia in the front which I can't make out. He's also wearing a shirt, tie and coat and I believe this is the uniform he wore on board ship. I have no idea what ship he worked on.

If any of this sounds familiar, please let me know. If not, does anyone know where I can write to get information about his years with Clan LIne.

Thank you for being so patient with me, I hope I haven't confused you too much.

Have a good day,
Norma

K urgess
19th July 2008, 23:45
Welcome aboard from northern England, Norma.
Sounds very interesting and I'm sure the crew will be able to help with a little more information.
You can either attach a scan of the picture to a post or put it in the gallery once you find your way around the ship and get used to the way things are done. Have a look in the members notice board forum for guidelines.
Enjoy the voyage.

non descript
19th July 2008, 23:49
Norma, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and I see you already have a little feed-back on Clan Line, let's hope we can come up with some more for you. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

PRAYN3
19th July 2008, 23:55
Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I will follow your suggestions and hopefully be able to post John Gray's picture.

WOW! I did it! Thanks again.

billyboy
20th July 2008, 00:04
Welcome aboard from the Philippines Norma. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Bruce Carson
20th July 2008, 01:34
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Norma.
Good to have you onboard.
I hope our members will come through withsome helpful information for you.

Bruce

benjidog
20th July 2008, 11:13
Welcome from Lancashire.

I wish you good luck with your research - I am sure our members will help you if they can.

Regards,

Brian

R58484956
20th July 2008, 15:50
Greetings Norma and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

gdynia
21st July 2008, 00:58
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage