The Mammoth is still around!!

old dock bobby
24th July 2008, 09:39
Hi, I'm Pete Fleming, old 301E from Westminster Road. I'm on about the Mammoth, the floating crane which my Dad always said was a prize from the Germans after WW1 - It was in fact built for the Czar in Schiedam in Rotterdam but the Russians later said they did not want it.
It was advertised and MDHB were interested. They bought it for 200,000 in 1920. It was steam powered and could lift 200 tons. In 1986 it was sold to the Swedes and they put diesel engines in it but it was found to be a lot less powerful and was hardly used. As far as anyone knows it is rusting away in a dockyard in Scandinavia.
I would be obliged to know if anyone has any information about the voyage from Rotterdam to Liverpool when it was first bought. It is thought that this did not go smoothly. See you on the West Side, Peter.https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
(Thumb)

Santos
24th July 2008, 10:43
Hi Pete

The Mammoth is in Stockholm, Sweden , now, (renamed Baltic Mammoth). She has NOT been scrapped! In fact she has many years of working life ahead of her! She moved from Oxelosund to Stockholm and is now owned by A B CONTRACTOR. She has been fitted out with new propulsion engines, and facilities for diving opperations.

Dont know much about her trip from the Mersey other than she was put on a barge and towed to Scandanavia by the tug Fairplay.

Kind regards

Chris.

K urgess
24th July 2008, 11:10
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Pete.
I see the crew have helped already and I'm sure someone else will be able to fill in more details.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

danube4
24th July 2008, 12:17
Pete, look in Special Purpose Vessels.
Mersey Mammoth.
Check all posts by EYREBRUSH for all you want to know
about the Old Mammoth, with pics also.

All the best.

Barney.

Bruce Carson
24th July 2008, 13:22
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Pete.
As usual, our members are stepping forward with some answers.
Good to have you onboard.

Bruce

benjidog
24th July 2008, 23:53
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
25th July 2008, 00:46
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
25th July 2008, 10:35
Welcome Peter to SN. Bon voyage.

Keith Adams
26th July 2008, 04:30
There were loads of pics and info about her on this site last year - one fellow herein is even building a detailed scale model of the 'Mammoth'. I recall that two were built simultaneously with the first assisting in the erection of the second. Keith.