Hello to everyone on the site, just a great site

Goliath
31st July 2008, 07:30
From Goliath
Cheers everyone. I got started in 1951 as learner, got PMG in 1953, at sea until 1989. Enjoyed every minute of it, tankers, trawlers, oil drilling, vlcc's, ulcc's, cargo ships, cargo liners, special purpose vessels. Tried my hand in navigation as 3rd mate, but could not stand the glare of sunlight, weak eyes I guess. Back to the W/T shack. Whilst working freelance I was on the ex Harrison Line ship tribesman, sold to Captain Vardavas superintendent in Mavroleon Bros London. The ship was renamed Delta (means four in Greek) being the fourth ship Capt. Vardavas had bought. The details in the gallery regarding this ship is incorrect she did not go to scrap until late 1962. We left Liverool on a single trip contract to go to Cardenas & Matanzas in Cuba, this during the Cuban Missile Crisis. We were harrassed all the way down once we were abeam of Gibraltar, U.S.A. planes, destroyers, cruisers, & am sure I saw a periscope aways off. We all got drunk just in case President Kennedy decided to fry us. Nothing went bang, so off we went to Tschamcong China opposite Hainan Island via Gib, Med, Suez Straits of Malacca. After discharge at Tschamcong we went to Hong Kong, ship was turned into razor blades. We flew home to U.K. on a DC3 owned by Mavroleon Bros, took nearly 4 days. Well thats my into to this site which I stumbled on by sheer luck. Now live in Melbourne Australia. I will register when I find out how to configure my email, I am getting a little slow these days. I think somebody threw sand in the cogs in my head. Good luck to all
Goliath.

bert thompson
31st July 2008, 07:38
Goliath

Welcome to this wonderful site and am sure you will enjoy yourself

Best wishes

Bert.

gdynia
31st July 2008, 07:46
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
31st July 2008, 08:55
Greetings Goliath and welcome to SN. Nice introduction you gave. Enjoy the site. Bon voyage.

Steve Woodward
31st July 2008, 09:38
Goliath,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, a most interesting intro, enjoy your time with us
Steve

K urgess
31st July 2008, 10:56
Welcome aboard from northern England, Goliath.
Sounds like an interesting trip. I'm sure you'll fit in well with our crew.
Find your way around the ship and to the radio room.
Enjoy the trip.

billyboy
31st July 2008, 11:50
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Bruce Carson
31st July 2008, 12:28
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia and thanks for that fine introduction.
We of a certain age are NOT getting slower, we're just being more deliberate.(==D)

Bruce

benjidog
31st July 2008, 17:43
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

doric
2nd August 2008, 10:28
Welcome aboard this great ship, from Melbourne Australia.
It has a great Captain, and a very knowledgeable, and faithful crew, enjoy it, look forward to hearing a lot more from you.
Terence Williams.R538301.

Earthmover
2nd August 2008, 13:02
Hiya Goliath, not been a member too long myself but still find it intriguing to see some of the older boats floating past via a PC. So I'll say "Welcome aboard" as well. 73s

Keith Adams
3rd August 2008, 01:15
Hello Goliath, I guess we of a certain age had our whole world turned about just when we thought we had a lifelong career all staked out - your survival jobs are much like mine ! Trust you have better luck with your new computer
and find, as I, this is a great 'Crowd' to sail with ! Keith

non descript
3rd August 2008, 09:05
Goliath, a warm welcome aboard to you and thank you for such an interesting introduction piece. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

ps. The link to the ex Harrison Line ship Tribesman that you mention, is here (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=114324)

dave beaumont
3rd August 2008, 09:10
Welcome Goliath from a close neighbour 20 minutes (eastlink!!) down the road at Noble Park.Dave