hello all!

YvonneDoc
3rd August 2008, 01:21
Hi there!My grampa worked at the Yorkhill Quay docs,his name was John Docherty (wee doc)I've heard many stories both from him and my Dad about his time at Yorkhill and thought I'd do a bit of digging to help keep the stories alive!Any help would be much appreciated.His badge number was 3026.It's nice to see so many stories being kept going...and more tales of the shennanigans hehe!

billyboy
3rd August 2008, 01:56
Welcome aboard from the Philippines Yvonne. Enjoy all this great site has to offer.

Bruce Carson
3rd August 2008, 02:31
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Yvonne.
Good to have you onboard.
It would be nice if some of our members would have a tale or two to tell.

Bruce

PKiddell
3rd August 2008, 06:53
hi yvonne, i was an engineer on the Anchor Line ships in 1954/55 which used to load whisky for the USA at yorkhill, and it was always amazing how some of the dockersmanaged to climb out of the hold afer their shift. The worst case we saw was the polis coming up the gangway to take this particular docker away,so he decided to jump over the side ,luckily for him it was the wharf side and as we were ready to sail and it was low water he only had a jump of about 2 feet and fell in a heap, and was duly carried away by the Polis. (my wife is from Glasgow thats how I know how to spell Polis).
all the best. Peter Kiddell.

bert thompson
3rd August 2008, 08:36
Yvonne
Welcome to this wonderful site

Enjoy all it has to offer

Best wishes

Bert.

JimC
3rd August 2008, 12:41
Hello Yvonne!

It's the ex Anchor Line Boys you need to speak to - particularly the ones on the new York run. I have great memories myself of those days.
Funny enough, the best one was whisky nicked from an India bound ship.
We stowed cases of whisky on these ships in the bullion locker in a place called the 'tween deck'. I was on duty while unloading at Karachi when the local police accused us of stealing a case of whisky from the cargo that was being discharged. Since I new the cases had been properly tallied into the locker at Glasgow and had personally locked the door thereafter I was totally puzzled. However, in the hold below that locker, bags of cargo had been stowed right to the top. When that cargo was being discharged, the cadet found tiny bits of wood packing case. I told him to gather any other bits he could find. Eventually he recovered the pieces of an entire whisky case. we re-built it an found the serial number. This matched the one which the police said had been stolen. It turned-out that after the locker was locked, the dockers had stowed the bags in the lower hold , as I said - right up to the underside of the locker room deck. There were small holes in the corner of that deck to allow any spillage to run down into the bilges in the hold below. These were normally sealed with cement. Some one had sat on top of the sacks and picked away at the cement with a cargo hook until the underside of a case was uncovered. He then picked away the bottom of the case and took the bottles out one by one. The finishing touch was to remove the entire case bit by bit and scatter the bits among cargo bags. Such genius should have had a greater outlet! It turned out that instead of the ship being fined, we were able to prove to the Pakistani Police that were not to blame. If that was you're Grampa then the man was a genius but I'm sure it wasn't him at all. However all Grampas are geniuses - I know cause I am one and my grand daughters keep telling me I am - specially around christmas, holidays and birthdays! - Welcome aboard 'pet' - bet you hate that expression!

JimC

R58484956
3rd August 2008, 15:59
Greetings Yvonne and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
3rd August 2008, 16:03
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

YvonneDoc
4th August 2008, 00:19
Thanks all for replying!Been telling my dad of some of the stories i've read on here and they all sound too familiar so they must be true!One of my favourite stories that's been told to me many times is when a certain Grampa 'acquired' what he thought was a luxury silk tablecloth while at his work.Anyway he took it home and thought he'd get a reward for his great efforts...but it turned out not to be a table cloth but a shroud!I think perhaps his joy was short-lived!He also seemed to be rather attached to his new duffle coat apparently...swaggering/staggering passed the gatehouse with hood and sleeves packed to the brim with bottles!I also heard that many a teapots down at the docks were filled to the brim with anything other than tea hehe.I also heard (not from my innocent grampa of course!) that there was a tool some carried around with them which they could pierce a small hole in the barrels with and fill their boots before plugging the hole back up with chewing gum,glue or anything else which done the trick!I think it's great that there's a place to share all these stories.My own children love hearing about how even grown men could be naughty sometimes hehe! Hope all's well with everyone and thanks for the help!

gdynia
5th August 2008, 03:36
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage