Hello from Alberta, Canada (miles from the sea!)

david cook
3rd August 2008, 22:09
I found this site with some help from Steve Tompkins about a week ago, and I have very much enjoyed the galleries, as well as encountering some people with a truly remarkable knowledge of historic sailing ships.

My major interest is in square-rigged sailing ships and I try to maintain a data-base of all vessels that are still afloat and actually cross yards. I live in Western Canada, but I travel frequently and if there is a square-rigged sailing vessel within range, I'll usually try to visit it and photograph it. Nothing against schooners, by the way - its just that there are so many of them that it is just not possible for me to keep up! I do have a real job at the University of Alberta and also an interest in classical music and opera as well as food and wine. And a spouse who fortunately likes ships as well! Even keeping up with the developments in square-rigged sail is challenging, and for the last year I have been too busy to do much with the ships database, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I have made a couple of comments on the pictures in the galleries, and I would like to start a thread in the forums about "authenticity". It seems that there is always a discussion (sometimes a controversy!) about what constitutes a sailing vessel that is worthy of attention. Almost everyone would have no problems with Sedov, Kruzenstern or Belem, but what about the STA brigs or Royal Clipper? Or the "replicas" that are sometimes very accurate and actually sail and sometimes embarrasingly inaccurate and have the sails for decoration. And what do we do with the ships that run "pirate cruises", some of which are actually well-designed sailing vessels, while others are more or less pathetic. But I will check the threads carefully first, since others may have addressed this. Not that I think there is a real answer, but the discussion might be interesting!

I am not sure who founded this site, but a BIG "Thank you"! I look forward to future posts.

David Cook (Yup, that is my real name - maybe I need a more imaginative handle!)

benjidog
3rd August 2008, 22:19
Welcome from Lancashire UK.

I hope you will enjoy the site and thanks for a great introduction to yourself. I guess you can't get a lot further from the sea than where you live!

Go ahead and start your thread - I don't think it has been done before.

Regards,

Brian

Bruce Carson
3rd August 2008, 22:42
David, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
A great introduction and we're glad you find SN to your liking.
Good to have you onboard.

Bruce

Steve Woodward
3rd August 2008, 22:58
David,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us
Steve

K urgess
3rd August 2008, 23:00
Welcome aboard from northern England, David.
A nice introduction to the crew that will certainly start a lively discussion if you start your thread.
Find your way around this ship and enjoy the voyage.

John Campbell
3rd August 2008, 23:12
Welcome David from sunny Aberdeen.
I love Alberta and next week I host two great citizens of Edmonton -Dan and Dorothy Claypool of Devon. This is a great site -you will get great fun and knowledge here
JC

billyboy
3rd August 2008, 23:26
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
4th August 2008, 10:58
Greetings David and welcome to SN from near the sea in the south of England. Nice introduction you gave. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

doric
4th August 2008, 13:29
Welcome aboard from Down under Australia, you will enjoy the voyage. My dad's name was David, my son's name is David!. So your name has a Welsh background, the Celtic version is Dafydd. Good sailing, Terence Williams.

bert thompson
4th August 2008, 16:24
Welcome David
Enjoy this site and all it offers
Best wishes
Bert.

Joe Rooney
4th August 2008, 17:18
Welcome David.

I live just down the road from you, down by Signal Hill, Calgary!

Joe Rooney

McCloggie
4th August 2008, 17:48
Greetings from Singapore David;

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on what is/is not a real sailing ship!!

Stick your tin hat on and be prepared for the incoming salvo!

McC

bluenoser
4th August 2008, 18:30
hello David;
Welcome to the site from a fellow Canadian ! Anyone with an intrest in ships and the sea this is where you should go .

" live from Nova Scotia" bluenoser

John Rogers
4th August 2008, 18:31
Welcome to the site David,I sailed on a Schooner when I was a lad but no square rig. I have a friend that lives in Lethbrige and I hope he has survived the winter and flooding.

John.

gdynia
5th August 2008, 03:33
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Sister Eleff
5th August 2008, 07:24
Another welcome to you from Australia. There are a lot of us around here - square rig types that is! (==D)

Vernal
5th August 2008, 19:38
Hi Dave
Welcome to the best shiiping site in the world,I live down the Highway from you in Medicine hat

david cook
5th August 2008, 23:43
Thanks, everyone. Glad to see that there some Albertans who are interested in ships!

David