Cap badge identification.

clydesider
4th August 2008, 11:13
Anyone able to identify this cap badge from description.

Crown gold has masts and hull on centreline.
Beneath central a blue circle whose perimeter has double gold lining.
In centre of circle an anchor.
Whole enclosed by a gold wired laural.

First thoughts that it is Merchant Navy but apparently the circle background for an officers cap badge is a red wine colour.

Please, any ideas?

clydesider

andysk
4th August 2008, 11:38
Any chance of a pic Clydesider ?

clydesider
4th August 2008, 11:47
I will take a pic of it and try to post it .
Catch u later andysk

Clydesider

fred henderson
4th August 2008, 12:02
A warm welcome to the site Clydesider. Best of luck in your quest.

Fred(Thumb)

Bruce Carson
4th August 2008, 12:28
A warm welcome from Michigan to Ships Nostalgia, Clydesider.
Good to have you onboard.
Chances are you'll have an identification before long, especially if you upload a picture.

Bruce

bert thompson
4th August 2008, 12:35
Clydesider welcome
Am sure you will get the information. Enjoy the site

Best wishes

Bert.

clydesider
4th August 2008, 12:57
Here it is chaps what do you make of it?

Clydesider.

Never have I been so welcomed to a website you all should be commended.

andysk
4th August 2008, 13:32
Thanks Clydesider, but I'm afraid I still have no idea who's this is !

I am sure someone on SN will either know, or know someone who does know - they're a very knowledgeable and experienced bunch on here.

Good luck ....

K urgess
4th August 2008, 13:54
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Clydesider.
Shouldn't be too long before the crew come up with an answer.
Find your way around and enjoy the voyage.

K urgess
4th August 2008, 15:43
Some common background there, Clydesider.
My Dad worked on Bothas and Skuas before being taken up in the first draught for the REs. Finished his apprenticeship after the nastiness was over. My uncle was an inspector at Brough before being released to the Army. Always lived in Hessle, Cottingham or Anlaby before moving out to Driffield.
As to the badge, it could be Merchant Air Service.

Cheers
Kris

gdynia
5th August 2008, 03:34
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

benjidog
5th August 2008, 22:27
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you enjoy the site.

BTW I see you have a number of deleted posts on this thread - did you have a problem or was this deliberate?

Regards,

Brian

clydesider
6th August 2008, 09:36
(A)
Brian

I thought with the arrow on the "hot" thread that I had made too many postings to the thread.

Ray

eldersuk
6th August 2008, 23:31
Looks like it could be an Ocean Fleets badge - although the anchor looks a bit 'home made'.

Derek

clydesider
7th August 2008, 10:10
(A) Derek

Thankyou for help in identification. Does the Ocean Fleet House Flag look anyting like, ie:- has maybe a blue background?

Latest from London Cap badge manufacturer is that the British badge has a wine coloured circle whilst this one maybe foreign, having a different colour, anyone know if this would be the case?

Ray

Peter4447
7th August 2008, 10:35
Hi Ray
It is not a foreigner because of the crown.
The red circle appears in the standard MN badge but other colours also exist -the old 'Sealink' badge with the Naval officers stripes used a Maroon centre.
OT&T certainly used this pattern of anchor on their china tableware and the blue background may indeed refer to its Blue Flue roots.
Peter4447

clydesider
19th August 2008, 18:51
CAP BADGE SOLVED > Met an ex Blue Funnel and Ocean Fleet chap last night and showed him cap. He confirms he has seen this type used whilst he was in the service. He has some b/w pictures. I',ll ask if I can see them and possibly scan to show on nostalgia.

Thanks all Clydesider

doric
21st August 2008, 13:21
That must be the hat badge of the Anchor Line?. Regards, Terence Williams. R538301.

Peter4447
21st August 2008, 14:44
That must be the hat badge of the Anchor Line?. Regards, Terence Williams. R538301.

Hi Terence
The Anchor Line cap badge carried the Company's houseflag - white with a red anchor on it.
Regards
Peter4447

John S Martin
17th April 2019, 23:06
Yes..this is the cap badge worn by Ocean Fleets MN Officers. All Elder Dempster and Alfred Holt (Blue Funnel) seafarers were required to transfer their own company cap badges to an Ocean Fleets badge in 1968 when those companies amalgamated.

roboted
18th April 2019, 09:16
Just another to confirm...Deffo Ocean Fleets (Thumb)

Barrie Youde
18th April 2019, 09:56
#20 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=20) and#21

Well, well, well!

From 1967 until the end of Blue Flue in 1988 I lived my life surrounded by Blue Flue mariners and never did see that badge, as far as I can recall! All in my own experience continued to wear the familiar AH badge, save only that uniform itself was dying out rapidly at that time, which might explain why the new badge was so rarely seen.

John S Martin
18th April 2019, 12:37
Thought this might be of interest to confirm. Attached picture is of the deck officers on Elder Dempster's rmmv 'Apapa' on her final voyage in 1968. In 1967 we were wearing ED cap badges....and then you will note (if you look carefully) they all have Ocean Fleets cap badges on the caps tucked under their arms. I believe there was no Ocean Fleets House Flag. Each ship operated by Ocean Transport & Trading flew the flag of the company in which it was owned thus retaining its historical roots. Unless...anyone can advise me otherwise.