Second hand Scouse

mmilesdodd
6th August 2008, 19:30
i.e. from Birkenhead....great to find this site. Spent most of my life ashore (after very brief spells on Salamanca, Santander, and Potosi of PSNC) with Swires in Japan where we were agents for Blue Funnel, Glen, Crusader (usual ships were Carnatic, Port Montreal, and Turakina), Great Eastern, and the occasional Bibby and very rarely, Brocklebank. Mainly however China Navigation (CNCo) for which my last job was what we called "Tonnage Manager" based in Hong Kong. Also spent some ten years (again shoreside) with Star Shipping of Bergen. Left the shipping world in 1990 for jobs in France and Japan and have been living in landlocked Cambridge for the last two years. It's nice to be back.

Miles Dodd

K urgess
6th August 2008, 19:33
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Miles.
Been around a bit by the looks of it so you'll fit in with the crew nicely.
Find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the voyage.

Bruce Carson
6th August 2008, 19:38
Miles, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Make yourself at home and join in our friendly discussions at any time.

Bruce

bert thompson
6th August 2008, 20:27
Welcome Miles
Enjoy all this great site offers
Best wishes
Bert.

Peter4447
6th August 2008, 21:25
Welcome aboard Miles from Glorious Devon
Peter4447(Thumb)

billyboy
6th August 2008, 23:09
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

benjidog
6th August 2008, 23:55
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

R58484956
7th August 2008, 10:36
Greetings Miles and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Huytonbrian
7th August 2008, 12:27
Welcome Miles, from Merseyside, the proper side of the river.
Brian.

mmilesdodd
7th August 2008, 12:32
Thanks Brian - but we've got the windmill and Tranmere Rovers...........

Miles

gdynia
8th August 2008, 07:58
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Gerald Jackson
14th January 2013, 09:26
Well spoken Miles,like the reference of Tranmere Rovers

woodend
14th January 2013, 09:36
Welcome from another 'Imitation Scouse' : Born and bred in Wallasey (fur coat and no drawers!

kevin morgan
14th January 2013, 10:40
I spent a bit of time up in Birkenhead, i got called either a 'Woolyback' or a Cockney (i'm from south-east Kent ? ) -seems anyone from south of the Luton-Gap was deemed a Cockney .

R58484956
14th January 2013, 10:51
Not in Hampshire only hogs.

eldersuk
15th January 2013, 00:14
Welcome from another Birkonian.

terence
15th January 2013, 22:05
hi miles ,when was you on potosi
terry music man

alfj
2nd February 2013, 03:19
Hi Miles
Welcom also from a Birkonion, although I saw the light and moved to Australia back in 1965 after being in the MN i could not settle back in the UK.

tom roberts
3rd February 2013, 10:20
Welcome Miles a good job my missus didnt see you refer to yourself as a second hand scouse she would have had a fit,every time they refer to the liverpool ferries she screams they are not Liverpools they are the BIRKENHEAD FERRIES and of course like everything she says is right according to her well then she must be right about this, she is from Flint St by the way and on the outside she is as hard as flint but on the inside she is still the bloody same, but she is a proud Birkenhead lass.

oldseamerchant
3rd February 2013, 10:24
So, if Birkonians are second hand scousers how would a Wallaseyan be categorised?

jmcg
3rd February 2013, 12:47
A Shropshireite Bill.

J

Gerald Jackson
3rd February 2013, 13:12
And a true Tranmere Rovers supporter, Tom???

Pat Kennedy
3rd February 2013, 13:57
So, if Birkonians are second hand scousers how would a Wallaseyan be categorised?

We are known as "plastic scousers".
By the way, I am curious as to why this thread has been ressurected seeing as the original poster, Mmiles, has not been heard of since 7th August 2008!
(Smoke)

oldseamerchant
3rd February 2013, 14:19
We are known as "plastic scousers".
By the way, I am curious as to why this thread has been ressurected seeing as the original poster, Mmiles, has not been heard of since 7th August 2008!
(Smoke)

Thanks for your response.

alfj
4th February 2013, 05:09
Welcome Miles a good job my missus didnt see you refer to yourself as a second hand scouse she would have had a fit,every time they refer to the liverpool ferries she screams they are not Liverpools they are the BIRKENHEAD FERRIES and of course like everything she says is right according to her well then she must be right about this, she is from Flint St by the way and on the outside she is as hard as flint but on the inside she is still the bloody same, but she is a proud Birkenhead lass.

Hi Tom
I agree with your wife and even if I now consider myself an Aussy I am still proud to have been borne and bred in Rock Ferry. Where abouts in Birkenhead is Flint St??

alan ward
4th February 2013, 09:50
As a transplanted southerner I always wondered why someone from across the water was the subject of derision,albeit good natured enough,when anyone living in Kirkby and Skem both of which technically were in Lancashire were accepted as being scouse?When I raised this with a Liverpudlian OM he explained that people from Southport/Birkenhead and even as far away as Warrington and Widnes were `Foreign Scousers`and worthy of at least some respect!

Peter Trodden
4th February 2013, 10:40
Hi Tom
I agree with your wife and even if I now consider myself an Aussy I am still proud to have been borne and bred in Rock Ferry. Where abouts in Birkenhead is Flint St??

Alfj & Tom,
I grew up in Flint St, B/Head. Its location was near St Annes Church,now renamed Christ the King,and close to B/Head Park Station.and between the Park its self and and the Docks. It run from Beckwith St, to Price St, Most of the men in this neighbourhood worked on the Docks, Lairds Yard or were Seamen. Tom,what was your wifes maiden name ? we may have been neibourbours.
ttfn.Peter.

tom roberts
4th February 2013, 12:29
Alfj & Tom,
I grew up in Flint St, B/Head. Its location was near St Annes Church,now renamed Christ the King,and close to B/Head Park Station.and between the Park its self and and the Docks. It run from Beckwith St, to Price St, Most of the men in this neighbourhood worked on the Docks, Lairds Yard or were Seamen. Tom,what was your wifes maiden name ? we may have been neibourbours.
ttfn.Peter.

Peter her name was Jean Upton she has two sisters Sandra and Shirley,her dad was crane driver on the docks.Her first husband was down below he is Douggie Jardine, Douggies dad worked shoreside for Blueys I think he was in the rigging loft.Douggie worked for Carmet tugs for a number of years.Whilst we are on about Birkenhead did you ever come across an a.b.Tommy Redfern I sailed with Tom on the Parthia late 50s?.

Pat Kennedy
4th February 2013, 20:38
Alfj & Tom,
ttfn.Peter.

Peter, do you remember that poor bewildered bloke that lived in, or near to Flint st, they called him 'Abba' because that was all he could say. He was always roaming around Duke St getting into trouble.
Birkenhead in those days had quite a few of those lost souls wandering the streets. Another one was Bernie Lively who slept rough on the docks. Every few months the cops would pick him up and take him up to the Little Sisters of the Poor at the top of the Park, and they would hose him down , give him some clean clothes and a pair of boots, feed him, and then throw him out!
Regards
Pat(Thumb)

tom roberts
5th February 2013, 11:19
Alfj & Tom,
ttfn.Peter.
Jean tells me she lived between Anne St and Price St she recalls your family but says you lived at the other end of Flint St I think she has mentioned a lad called Abba,she proud of Birkenhead and reminds people of many Birkenheads firsts and innovations she will never get over the injustice of removing the big glasshouse from Birkenhead Park to Liverpool The Park is the blueprint for Central Park New York is another of her proud claims for Birkenhead.

Peter Trodden
5th February 2013, 11:33
Hi Tom, I remember the Upton family,they lived at the top end of the street while we lived at the bottom No4.I think the girls were friends with my sisters,Pauline and Mary,was their Dad known as Sandy Upton? I knew the Jardine brothers both good footballers who played for B-Head Docks when my Dad ran the Team 50s /60s. Old Douggie was very well respected in the Blue Funnel shore-side Dept, I also know the Redferns,Tommy (Tucker)and Mike(Spike)AB but haven't seen them for awhile.
Pat, Abba was Michael Casey and His family lived in Frederick St, off Duke St,between the Park View and the Trunk (Pubs) When that area was demolished all the families were scattered so I've lost touch with many. Thinking back,that area where I grew up was like a Village,we all went to school together then started work at the same time, then socializing in the Local Pubs,Clubs and Dances and a few married girls from the next street. I'm starting to ramble on,so ttfn Peter.

tom roberts
5th February 2013, 18:20
Hi Tom, I remember the Upton family,they lived at the top end of the street while we lived at the bottom No4.I think the girls were friends with my sisters,Pauline and Mary,was their Dad known as Sandy Upton? I knew the Jardine brothers both good footballers who played for B-Head Docks when my Dad ran the Team 50s /60s. Old Douggie was very well respected in the Blue Funnel shore-side Dept, I also know the Redferns,Tommy (Tucker)and Mike(Spike)AB but haven't seen them for awhile.
Pat, Abba was Michael Casey and His family lived in Frederick St, off Duke St,between the Park View and the Trunk (Pubs) When that area was demolished all the families were scattered so I've lost touch with many. Thinking back,that area where I grew up was like a Village,we all went to school together then started work at the same time, then socializing in the Local Pubs,Clubs and Dances and a few married girls from the next street. I'm starting to ramble on,so ttfn Peter.

Peter I got it wrong Jean lived betweet Beckwith Stand St ANNES ST NO31,Jeans dad was George it was her dads brother Sandy who lived on the other side of the street,Jean remembers Mary but cannot recal Pauline.

Pat Kennedy
5th February 2013, 18:58

Peter, Was Abba (Michael Casey) any relation to Joe and Bernie Casey who both worked in Western Shiprepairers, Joe was chargehand labourer, Bernie drove the 15 ton crane at No 5 dock.
There were other Caseys from round that way, one had a pub at Charing Cross, and I also knew his sister Joanne who was killed in a car crash in Woodchurch Rd some years ago.
Another character from that area was Faley Jones who was hatchboss at Smith Coggins, and was a well know rapscallion.
Finally, Redferns, I was at Blue Funnel deckboys training school with Billy Redfern from that area, in 1958, and never set eyes on him since. He had a mate called Bunner Jones, big lad from Beckwith St I think, another one I never saw again.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Peter Trodden
6th February 2013, 10:59
Pat,Ive sent you aPM. Tom I thought the Uptons lived at the Top end. Your Jean would have grown up with Marie Behan and Joan Travis and knew the Kynastons.Small world(Thumb)(Thumb)ttfn.Peter.

tom roberts
6th February 2013, 11:30
Pat,Ive sent you aPM. Tom I thought the Uptons lived at the Top end. Your Jean would have grown up with Marie Behan and Joan Travis and knew the Kynastons.Small world(Thumb)(Thumb)ttfn.Peter.

Peter Jean knew the people you mentioned well,there were also the Bradys,Barrets, Bennets,she thinks the Mountfords lived your end the girls were Patty ,Celia ,also the Eccllestones.Jean remembers Jackie Travis and his brother Norman painting a festival of Britain sign on the wall for the street party.Jean has fond memories of Flint Street it was the first designated play street in the area.

Pat Kennedy
6th February 2013, 19:11
Peter Jean knew the people you mentioned well,there were also the Bradys,Barrets, Bennets,she thinks the Mountfords lived your end the girls were Patty ,Celia ,also the Eccllestones.Jean remembers Jackie Travis and his brother Norman painting a festival of Britain sign on the wall for the street party.Jean has fond memories of Flint Street it was the first designated play street in the area.

Tom, I knew quite a few of those names remembered by your wife, particularly the Travis family. I worked with them on the docks, Joe, the father was a nice guy, he was a hatch boss, and Norman was a holdsman, and a bit of a handful if you crossed him. Eddie Mountford also worked on the dock and was one of the first dockers in Birkenhead to own a brand new car, he was the envy of the docks, it was a sparkling white Volkswagen, and he used to go ballistic if a pigeon had sh1t on it.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Peter Trodden
7th February 2013, 20:36
Tom, I remember those families mentioned. I sailed with Jackie Mountford on the Apapa '57. and later that year with Norman Travis on the Emp,of Britain,they both ended up on the Docks.
Pat, Eddie Mountford was cusins to the Flint St, Family, he lived in the North End. The father in our St, was Sammy. He was in the Army with my Dad,and he was ill a lot after they got home from the War (Burma) and died a young man. ttfn.Peter.

Pat Kennedy
7th February 2013, 21:23
Cheers Peter,
I liked Eddie Mountford, he was stevedore in a gang nicknamed the 'Royal Family' These guys were on the ship for one thing, to earn money, never worked the welt, just worked flat out all day long. Consequently they always got hired first in the pen, always got sent to the main hatch, and always cleaned up on the tonnage. I had the main hatch crane at Bibby's and I was always made up when I saw the Royal Family coming aboard. It meant non stop work for a couple of weeks, but you could double your wages working with them.
Regards,
Pat

Pat Kennedy
7th February 2013, 21:59
Birkenhead exiles might enjoy this song,
'When I was a lad' by Larry White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3824xNdTo4

John Dryden
7th February 2013, 22:31
As an interloper from the Far East(Hull)I love the banter from your good selves from Liverpool and Birkenhead and the insights from Pat of life on the dock in the old days.Sailed with some great shipmates from Liverpool and spent many a night there..still a great port!

tom roberts
8th February 2013, 18:46
Peter Jean asks did your family live around the corner from the CooP,. (Jean still remembers her mums CooP number)

Peter Trodden
9th February 2013, 13:59
Yes Tom, the co-op was on the corner of Flint and Price St, with a Cafe on the opposite corner. I still remember our co-op number,and my Nans.She was Mrs Cavanagh who lived in No18 Flint St. by John Lowe.

alfj
10th February 2013, 02:04
I aggree with John Dryden I enjoy the banter about the people who lived in your part of the north end. I as said earlier I was from Rock Ferry but can relate to the envirment of the times it was the same in my area at that time 1941 to 1956 ehen I left. My dad was allso a stevedore on the docks at Brombrough. but in his early days sailed with Fyffes let the MN between the wars (i'm glad he did or I probably wouldn't be here now Fyffes lost 90% of their fleet in the war) Before becoming a permanant at Port Sunlight I can remember stories of him getting up a 4am and running from dock gate to dock gate hoping to get pickup for a days work. I believe that these were the best years to grow up in with the tight knit comunities who helped each othe out and shared what they had even though that was not so much.

kevin morgan
10th February 2013, 02:59
Hi , I lived in Rockferry around the early 80's for a little while (can't recall the street name) but the closest pub was a short walk (the little house ?) there was another bigger pub over the road,a bottle shop, then another pub
re-opened a little bit over the road again (?)