Doxford memorabilia & pictures

Richard Doxford
8th August 2008, 23:39
Hello members of Ships Nostalgia!

As you may note from the name, I'm one of descendants of William Doxford the shipbuilder. Unfortunately early in my life, most of the Doxford family passed away and much of the family memorabilia has vanished into thin air. We used to have many of the beautiful models, pictures and plans of the ships and I've very keen to track down printable copies, prints or historical items for my own personal use. I know the models are rare and expensive but if anyone has any idea where I could find any images I'd be very grateful. As a start there's a picture of the shipyard on this site at:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons

which I would love to find at a printable size. Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks and best wishes in advance.

Richard Doxford

benjidog
8th August 2008, 23:57
Welcome to the site from Lancashire Richard.

There are many Doxford fans amongst our members as you will quickly find out if you search the threads and photo gallery here. I am sure that some of them will shortly be in touch with you and hope that they can help.

Regards,

Brian

JohnBP
9th August 2008, 01:51
Richard,

this is great, as an x engineer who has sails with Doxford's, this is a treasure trove...

I thank you and please stay connected to this group (any more photos?)

JP

Mike S
9th August 2008, 02:39
This brings tears to my eyes. My Grandfather worked as chief draughtsman on the Wear at Austin Pickersgills. His sons Edgar and Jim (my Dad) also served their time and worked on the Wear.
Dad was Erecting Shop Manager at North Eastern Marine Wallsend from 1944 to 1947, Works Manager Richardsons and Westgarths from 1947 to around 1952 then production director at RW until 1955. He then went back to NEM Wallsend as Managing Director before being poached by Hawker Siddley Industries in 1959.
As a nipper I used to go down the works on a Sunday morning with Dad and walk though the shops looking just like those at Doxfords. I can still smell the oil and hear the noise of the machinery. I saw my first Doxford running on test in 1945........
Doxford engines were a legend. So were the men that built them.

gdynia
9th August 2008, 05:07
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Rgds Neville(Thumb)

Keltic Star
9th August 2008, 06:21
Richard:
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia. I sailed on many a Prince Line ship with Doxford engines and did the maiden voyage on the "Tudor Prince" built at Doxfords in 1961. She had the first "J" type Doxford engine, which I regret to say was not their finest. We blew the main bearings in the Indian Ocean and limped back to the UK. at slow ahead after temporary repairs in Aden. Understand that our sister ship, the "Stuart Prince" had the same problem a few months later.
However all in all you can't beat a Doxford and I can't hear too well these days due to sailing with them,but do not regret the experience one iota.
Glad to have you aboard.
Attached is a pic of the "Tudor Prince", credit to the unknown photographer.
Bob

bert thompson
9th August 2008, 08:15
Welcome to this great site.
Hope you get all the information you desire
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
9th August 2008, 09:35
Greetings Richard and a warm welcome to SN. You must be very proud of your name associated with what at one time was the best diesel engine in the world. Good luck with your quest. Bon voyage.

K urgess
9th August 2008, 11:07
Welcome aboard, Richard.
The most popular picture in the gallery is -
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/56717/sortby/v/sorttime/9999/way/desc
If you contact member averheijden by private message I'm sure he'll be glad to help.
Thanks to your forebears for lulling me to sleep for years.
Explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Richard Doxford
10th August 2008, 20:05
Wow, many, many thanks for all the walm welcome messages. I am indeed very proud of my heritage and thank you Keltic Star for the image link. My humble apologies for the loss of hearing and a slow journey home!

I didn't realise just how much the engines were admired which is incredibly heartwarming and I thank you for the kind comments. I'm just sorry the shipyard closed. I'm shortly planning a trip around the country to all the places associated with the Doxfords and I'll post anything photos and stories I come across.

Once again, many thanks for your welcome, very happy to be aboard!

Best wishes

RD

Peter Fielding
10th August 2008, 20:46
Richard,
Take a look at the website of the Anson Engine Museum, in Poynton, Cheshire. They are in the process of preserving a single-cylinder Doxford engine from South Shields college. I'm not sure how far on they are with the project, but I'm sure that they would be pleased to hear from you, and with your family background it's bound to be of interest to you.
Incidentally, I sailed with quite a few Doxfords, and found them to be wonderful machines, although stops at sea to fix crankcase water-leaks did tend to temporarily modify that view!
Regards,
Peter.

raybnz
11th August 2008, 09:56
Hi Richard from NZ. Sailed as engineer on Doxfords. Great engines and good to work with. I became quite experienced in fighting scavenge fires and repairing burst top piston water hoses. Awesome engines to start and as a engineer was always keen to show these skills off to a 1st trip junior.

This morning I found a couple of interesting videos on Youtube showing the mighty Doxford in full song.

averheijden
7th June 2012, 14:23
Richard:
I sailed on many a Prince Line ship with Doxford engines and did the maiden voyage on the "Tudor Prince" built at Doxfords in 1961. She had the first "J" type Doxford engine, which I regret to say was not their finest. We blew the main bearings in the Indian Ocean and limped back to the UK. at slow ahead after temporary repairs in Aden.
Bob

I thought that the first "J" Type was from 1965 and the "P" Type from 1961?

Regards
Alfons

http://users.telenet.be/doxford-matters

A.D.FROST
7th June 2012, 17:23
First 'P'(67PT6) mt.MONTANA bt.1958.First 'J'(76J9) mt.NORTH SANDS bt.1965.TUDOR PRINCE (67PT6).
27792 (Cloud)

averheijden
7th June 2012, 19:08
First 'P'(67PT6) mt.MONTANA bt.1958.First 'J'(76J9) mt.NORTH SANDS bt.1965.TUDOR PRINCE (67PT6).

According Motor Ship Sea Trials Montana 1961, see attachment
TUDOR PRINCE 1961

Regards
Alfons

ccurtis1
7th June 2012, 20:27
On your tour around the UK Richard, call into Beamish Museum, (just outside of Chester-le-Street) where they have a Doxford engine in all of its glory. You may have to contact them first to arrange a date when it will be running.

hamishb
7th June 2012, 20:30
Hello members of Ships Nostalgia!

As you may note from the name, I'm one of descendants of William Doxford the shipbuilder. Unfortunately early in my life, most of the Doxford family passed away and much of the family memorabilia has vanished into thin air. We used to have many of the beautiful models, pictures and plans of the ships and I've very keen to track down printable copies, prints or historical items for my own personal use. I know the models are rare and expensive but if anyone has any idea where I could find any images I'd be very grateful. As a start there's a picture of the shipyard on this site at:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons

which I would love to find at a printable size. Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks and best wishes in advance.

Richard Doxford

Hello Richard, You might be interested in a history of the Doxford Engine which is available at www.doxford-engine.com the web site of the Friends of Doxford Engines Association (DEFA).
The first J type was a 9 cylinder engine with a bore of 760mm and a stroke of2,180mm, running at 115 rev/min, developing 22,500bhp.
The first J type engine was running on the testbed in December 1963 Testbed trials continued for over a year, then the engine was installed
in the 69,000 ton tanker North Sands built and owned by the company, sailed on November 30th 1956 and was used as a floating test bed.
I have sailed on only one Doxford which I enjoyed, it was an immaculate 3 cylinder LB. and have worked on many more.
regards
Hamish

billyboy
7th June 2012, 21:38
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer