Hi from Stagline Junior

Stagline Junior
11th August 2008, 20:54
Hey

Anyone reading this may be wondering why I've chosen stagline junior as my name.. well its simple.. Im a robinson from North Shields and it was my great great relatives who formed the company way back. I'm doing research into my family and as don't have many living relatives am keen for any information from anyone who may have worked for the business. Growing up I have found memories of being in my granfparents house and being scared of the stags head which used to sit in my great grandfathers office!!

Look forward to hearing from you

non descript
11th August 2008, 21:47
SJ, a warm welcome to you on your first day of posting. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and hopefully you will secure some positive replies to your queries. We very much look forward to your postings with new sof this project. Bon Voyage.

Bruce Carson
11th August 2008, 22:37
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Chances are you will be hearing from some of our members with Stag Line tales.
Good to have you onboard.

Bruce

benjidog
11th August 2008, 22:55
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you enjoy the site and that someone can help with your enquiry - our members are a resourceful lot!

You will find some basic information about Stag line and photos of 5 ships in The Allen Collection (see below)

Steve Woodward
11th August 2008, 23:42
SJ,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, best of luck in your search and enjoy your time with us
Steve

billyboy
12th August 2008, 00:52
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
12th August 2008, 06:42
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

bert thompson
12th August 2008, 08:02
Welcome to this wonderful site. Look forward to you telling us more about that great company. See their office each day from the South side.
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
12th August 2008, 09:13
Hi SJ welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

oceantramp
13th August 2008, 18:56
There is a small book STAG LINE 1817 - 1983 it is by Nicholas Robinson and published by the WorldShip Society. It gives a brief history of Stag Line and all the ships are mentioned.
Stag Line records are held in Blandford House, Blandford Square, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The reference numbers are 628 and 1351.

I served with Stag Line from May 1951 to June 1966 a great Company to work for.

Bill

Stagline Junior
15th August 2008, 22:05
Hi Bill/Oceantramp
Thanks so much for your info... My late grandparents lived in cullercoats and I lived in the area for about 10 years before moving. Talking of the book I ordered this today so looking forward to reading. It was my grandfather who was part of the robinson clan and he used to tell me stories all the time about the family business and his father.. just wish I could remember all the stories!! I was born late 70's and my grandparents used to take me down the docs and try and educate me on boats... Its amazing to see so many people on this site who used to work for the company... did you ever meet the owners?

peter3807
15th August 2008, 22:46
SJ.
Welcome, I served with Stag Line 1970 to 1980. I went to Howard street for an interview for a cadets job in 1970 with me mam. Nicholas Robinson interviewed me (Mr Nicholas). He appeared slightly eccentric to me. I remember he used to sign his letters in green felt tip pens. I was a typical surly and inarticulate 16 year old who just managed to get the 5 GCE,s required. The first of a line of seafarers to try to be an officer. My mother was a fishermans daughter from shields, born and brought up on the fish quay. She used to play on Stag Line steps in the 20's. Mr Nicholas and me mam spent an hour going over old times, shields in the 20's and 30's.
I got the job.

Peter

gdynia
16th August 2008, 05:56
Aye Pete and we had some great trips

oceantramp
16th August 2008, 14:43
Hi Stagline Junior
I was interview by Nicholas Robinsion for apprenticeship with Stag Line in March 1951. When the ships went for drydocking on the Tyne Nicholas would visit and would speak to everyone from the Captain down to the Apprentices a real Gentleman. I remember 1954 I was on the Gardenia on the Canadian coal run the bond was sealed because we were coasting. At that time there were 15 British ships on this run and the crews asked for a cost of living bonus. Stag Line paid the bonus without any hassle the rest of the ships had to go on strike to get it. Nicholas was a great football fanatic when I was on the Camellia he bought a piano for the ship because we had won the Ship/Shore football Shield on the Canadian Coast. Nicholas did the occasional trip with us.

I also met David Robinsion on several occasions.

Bill

Stagline Junior
16th August 2008, 23:05
Hi Bill.. its all very interesting. Now I think David Robinson was my grandads father.. He told me the stags head that was in the hall used to hang in his dads office... as a kid it used to scare me haha.. From memory my grandad looked like his father... My grandad was very tall and quite stern looking.. I've seen lots pf photos of the old family home however everything was lost and they lived in a flat in cullercoats....Do you know anything more about Nicholas.. I'm trying to work out how he was related.. Sarah

Stagline Junior
16th August 2008, 23:07
Hey Pete
Thanks for you info.. its all very interesting...
Out of interest can you recall what Nicholas looked like? was he very tall? I havent been to the general registrars yet so am trying to work out what relation he is to my grandfather and David?
Thanks Sarah

oceantramp
17th August 2008, 14:05
Hi Sarah
Nicholas Robinson was a Cousin of David. Nicholas looked after the Deck department and David was the Engineering side.

1954 Robin Pender who was a Cousin joined the Company and became a Partner in 1957.

Nicholas was easy to talk to but David was more stern. When Robin Pender joined the Company he wanted to expand it but Nicholas and David wanted it kept to six ships and a family company as they knew all their Officers.

Nicholas was also a Magistrate at North Shields court house.

Bill

kudu
22nd August 2008, 17:44
I remember Nicholas as a happy bubbly type of person. I was interviewed by
him in 1965 for a position as deck apprentice. I was with my mother and it
turned out her first husband had been related in some way to Nicholas on the
femail side. Her first husband had lived in the Whitby area. The womans name
was Margerite Robinson.

peter3807
11th September 2008, 23:31
There is a small book STAG LINE 1817 - 1983 it is by Nicholas Robinson and published by the WorldShip Society. It gives a brief history of Stag Line and all the ships are mentioned.
Stag Line records are held in Blandford House, Blandford Square, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The reference numbers are 628 and 1351.

I served with Stag Line from May 1951 to June 1966 a great Company to work for.

Bill

SJ

I have a spare copy of this book if you want it, I keep getting them as a "unique" christmas present from family. I havn't the heart to tell them I bought my own copy years ago. The book was published in 1984. In the book Nicholas Robinson writes that a detailed history of the Robinson family,and the company, is in course of preparation and will be published shortly. It appears the book was never published. Whether the notes and research for the book survived we will probably never know. Mr Nicholas lived at The Grove, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne. The house was called STAGGERS. I believe he had two daughters but no son. I have been involved in researching my family history and recognise the importance of maintaining records. I heard from two old company bosuns that they were paid for a weeks work to clear out the cellar at Howard street of all the old records dating back decades. A wealth of maritime history lost.
If you want the book send me your details by PM and I will post it.

Regards Peter.

gdynia
12th September 2008, 07:20
When I sailed with Staggies there was a Second Mate John Wright I believe he was researching the Stag Line History. The last time i saw him he was a Captain on a coaster

allyward57
20th July 2014, 13:22
[QUOTE=Stagline Junior;237962]Hey

Anyone reading this may be wondering why I've chosen stagline junior as my name.. well its simple.. Im a robinson from North Shields and it was my great great relatives who formed the company way back. I'm doing research into my family and as don't have many living relatives am keen for any information from anyone who may have worked for the business. Growing up I have found memories of being in my granfparents house and being scared of the stags head which used to sit in my great grandfathers office!!

Hi... My grandmother was Robinia Robinson from Staithes (DOB 15/12/1892) and she was names Robinia after a stag line ship the Robinia. Her father was John Joseph Robinson (master mariner DOB 1846) who died at sea under tragic circumstances on his way back home to Staithes in 1892. John Joseph Robinsons wife was called Elizabeth Hansell (marriage 15 Feb 1872 Hinderwell) and they lived on the sea front in Staithes... My grandmother Robinia died 27/02/1971. I can remember photographs of the ships from the Stag line being on my Grandmothers wall. Hope this information helps!
Allyson

allyward57
20th July 2014, 19:16
[QUOTE=Stagline Junior;237962]Hey

Hi... My grandmother was Robinia Robinson from Staithes (DOB 15/12/1892) and she was names Robinia after a stag line ship the Robinia. Her father was John Joseph Robinson (master mariner DOB 1846) who died at sea under tragic circumstances on his way back home to Staithes in 1892. John Joseph Robinsons wife was called Elizabeth Hansell (marriage 15 Feb 1872 Hinderwell) and they lived on the sea front in Staithes... My grandmother Robinia died 27/02/1971. I can remember photographs of the ships from the Stag line being on my Grandmothers wall. Hope this information helps!
Allyson