Thistlebond

Matt Mac
14th August 2008, 21:42
I have recently joined Ship Nostalgia and am looking for assistance. I work for an old marine company called ThistleBond - the pipe repair product. Wherever I go people tell me there old storied of how ThistleBond saved them while out at sea and am wanting to put together a listing of all the old stories. If anyone has any experience with this product I would appreciate your help. Have already got one story of how an old icelandic fisherman glued his false teeth back in using the resin!

K urgess
14th August 2008, 22:19
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
I've moved your post into the Hello forum for a better response from the crew.
I've also taken the liberty of changing the title to grab their attention. [=P]
I should standby for quite a few replies. According to a lot of our engineers the only thing holding their ships together was Thistlebond.
Enjoy the voyage.

non descript
14th August 2008, 22:27
Matt, a warm welcome to you on your first posting. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings on the unique world of Thilstlebond, my own expereince is somewhat limited, but on the Joule (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=15553) we used to taken the stuff onboard in bulk and towards the end of her life she had more Thistlebond than Steel (Jester) . Bon Voyage

Steve Woodward
14th August 2008, 22:42
Matt,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us, i imagine it will not be long before the mebers get 'stuck in' with a few comments.
We used thistle bond in Mobil with great regularity, the comment was : send for Bond - thistlebond.
Folks on one ship got so good at fixing pipes with the stuff they used to mold it onto the pipe and left it looking like a weld repair.
Steve

benjidog
14th August 2008, 23:51
Welcome from Lancashire.

An interesting first post! If you use the Search tool near the top of the page and search for thistlebond I am sure you will find a number of previous mentions of this product.

billyboy
15th August 2008, 00:44
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to opffer

lakercapt
15th August 2008, 01:58
Seem to remember there were some posts about this product in the Caltex Tanker post???
Know my intro was on Caltex Saigon where the ship was kept afloat only by "Thistlebond" as it was on pipes, bulkheads etc.

gdynia
15th August 2008, 04:48
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

bert thompson
15th August 2008, 07:13
Matt welcome
Many mentions of your company's product on this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

Harrisman
15th August 2008, 08:44
This is a link to a poem about thislebondeliers - from Shell Tankers
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/45297/ppuser/7783

R58484956
15th August 2008, 14:33
Welcome Matt to SN. Bon voyage.

Bruce Carson
15th August 2008, 15:00
Matt, there's really a bite to your introduction.
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.

Bruce

PKiddell
24th August 2008, 11:12
Matt. strange that you should appear on SN. Recently I've been racking my brains to remember that name. In 1964 I was 2nd.eng. on the m.v. Durham when we had a crankcase explosion in the port engine due to a seized piston, the ensuing damage brought down the piston cooling telescopics and brackets these were then smashed into the main lub oil pipe running along the bottom of the crankcase. On removing the damaged section of the lub oil pipe it was found to be nearly flattened for a length of about 8 inches, so the repair was to hacksaw out the top flattened section leaving enough of the pipe to give us a profile,then secure 4 strips of inch by one eight flat bar across the opening then bind the section with fibre glass bandage and Thistle Bond. On arrival back at London a Lloyds surveyor passed the repair as equivalent to a pipe replacment. I did one more trip to NZ in the Durham with no trouble from the repair,and as far as I know she went to the breakers with still the Thistle Bond repair. Good stuff eh!
Peter

BlythSpirit
24th August 2008, 11:29
Matt Mac,

First of all let me add my "welcome to SN" - "Thistlebond!!" My god what a godsend to engineers, we used to use the stuff in Shell Tankers as often as Tennents Lager!!

Don Matheson
24th August 2008, 11:52
On small general cargo ship working east coast of the US and Canada to Mexico. Winches were hydraulic, blessed with rotten pipework. Constant quick repair with gasket rubber and jubilee clip to keep them going and almost every trip going north or south we would drain the pipework and Thistlebond the pipes.
Super came on board to tell us they were going to renew 50% of the pipework so he was told to replace the 50% that was steel and leave the 50% that was Thistlebond.
The pipe repair was great in the summer on the coast not much fun in the winter.
Don

degsy
27th August 2008, 02:16
I have recently joined Ship Nostalgia and am looking for assistance. I work for an old marine company called ThistleBond - the pipe repair product. Wherever I go people tell me there old storied of how ThistleBond saved them while out at sea and am wanting to put together a listing of all the old stories. If anyone has any experience with this product I would appreciate your help. Have already got one story of how an old icelandic fisherman glued his false teeth back in using the resin!

Hi Matt not been long with SN myself. I well remember THISTLEBOND, bloody good stuff. Although I recall one occasion, when a 3rd Eng was making a repair, wrapped the bandage then mixed the resins. It just seemed to take off, the heat it generated was tremendous and you could'nt see the tin for this yellow rock like stuff. We had it on the bar for a while as a conversation piece.(Thumb)