Hello

scarisbrick
15th August 2008, 11:44
Hello. A google search led me to this website. I've just discovered that my grandfather served on SS Royston Grange. He died in 1916 and my brother and I have been trying to search his background. He died when my father was very young and we're not even sure how he died. We'd tried every avenue (a name like George Williams makes it difficult) but I went back to the few photos we have of him. One shows him with other crew members on the Royston Grange and the other is a picture of the SS Royston Grange. Does anyone know where I can search lists of crew members?

non descript
15th August 2008, 11:50
Scarisbrick, a warm welcome to you on your first posting. Firstly thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Secondly, as to your query on what we can do to help you discover lists of crew members, I must at this stage offer this up to others who can comment and hopefully the combined resources of SN will oblige; in the meantime - Bon Voyage

K urgess
15th August 2008, 12:06
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, scarisbrick.
I'm sure the crew will be able to point you in the right direction for the answers you want.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Peter4447
15th August 2008, 12:21
Welcome Scarisbrick from Glorious Devon.
Just one thought, as your Grandfather was in the Merchant Navy and died in 1916, I checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website which lists just 2 men with the name George Williams. One of these died 26th February 1916 whilst serving in a ship called the 'Dido'. He came from Hull (Beaumont Street), was aged 22 and appears to have been single. The other died 10th October 1918 and came from Newport, Mon. He was aged 45 and was married to a Naomi Williams (nee) Marston. There are other George Williams listed but they have additional Christian names.
Regards
Peter4447(Thumb)

bert thompson
15th August 2008, 13:45
Welcome
Am sure you will get lots of help from members on this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

Hugh MacLean
15th August 2008, 14:14
Hello and welcome,
The ship you are after will be the 1897 built ROYSTON GRANGE official number 108276.

We don't know if he was aboard in 1916 only that he died that year so no guarantees. Do you have a death certificate? Do you know if he was still a seaman when he died?

Back to the crew lists then. Like I said some guess work now. There could be a 1916 crew list for the ship held at the National Archives, Kew in piece BT 99/3207 at this link here: ROYSTON GRANGE (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=3177158&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2C108276&accessmethod=0)

The remainder of the crew lists prior to 1916 are held at the Maritime History Archive in Canada. A quick glance tells me there are lists for the years 1899, 1904, 1909 and 1914.

If you are unsure of how to obtain any of the above just make another post and we will try to help.

Regards (Thumb)

R58484956
15th August 2008, 14:30
Scarisbrick welcome to SN. Bon voyage

Bruce Carson
15th August 2008, 15:06
Scarisbrick, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
As usual, our members are helping and providing information in answer to your enquiry.

Bruce

benjidog
15th August 2008, 23:36
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

gdynia
16th August 2008, 05:53
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Pamela Glover
2nd September 2015, 13:18
Hello Scarisbrick, I am very interested in the photographs that you say you have of crew members. My grandfather, Caleb Augustus Dickinson served as chief cook on Royston Grange and it is possible that they served together. Would it be possible for me to see the photographs?
Regards,
Pam Glover