Hello and greetings..

lcurious
16th August 2008, 19:49
I am presently working on the Empire Sandy, a three masted schooner out of Toronto. She started out, in 1943 as a Deep Sea Tug, built on the Tyne, and was active during WWII. She was converted to a schooner in Toronto in 1978. I am very interested in anyone who had any experience with the Empire Sandy.
Paul

non descript
16th August 2008, 19:52
Paul, a warm welcome to you on your first posting. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and hopefully you will secure some positive replies to your query on Empire Sandy. We very much look forward to your postings with news of this project. Bon Voyage.

K urgess
16th August 2008, 19:58
Welcome to the crew, Paul.
I'm sure someone aboard will have the information you seek.
Meanwhile explore our happy ship and enjopy the trip.

Steve Woodward
16th August 2008, 20:05
Paul,
welcome to SN from Suffolk, I have never heard of a tug being converted to a sailing vessel and would very much like to see how she looks now as I believe she may be based on a sister tug of the Empire larch / Englishman of United Towing, my fathers old company.
Enjoy your time with us
Steve

bert thompson
16th August 2008, 20:39
Welcome Paul to this wonderful site.
Sure you will soon get a reply to your query
Best wishes
Bert.

lcurious
16th August 2008, 22:52
Steve
Yes, the Sandy was built as an Englishman/Larch. After the war she was renamed Ashford and worked for United Towing, I believe out of Southampton, Small world! There is a good writeup of the Sandy and pic in Wikipedia. We hosted a group of ex HMRT tugmen from the the Deep Sea Rescue Tug Association UK who came over from England in May/05 for a Battle of the Atlantic celebration here in Toronto.
Our business is dinner cruising, weddings, special events etc.
Are you still sailing??
Regards
Paul

benjidog
17th August 2008, 00:32
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
17th August 2008, 00:53
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Bruce Carson
17th August 2008, 04:02
Paul, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
I think you'll be impressed with our model ship gallery and forum.

Bruce

gdynia
17th August 2008, 05:58
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Hugh MacLean
17th August 2008, 12:50
Welcome aboard,
The piece you mention is part of the DVD/Film "Mayday Tugs of War" by Robin Williams. see this link here: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=14389&highlight=deep+rescue+tugs

The film has been shown in English theatres in June/July I don't know if it is planned to show anywhere else in the UK.

We hosted a group of ex HMRT tugmen from the the Deep Sea Rescue Tug Association UK who came over from England in May/05 for a Battle of the Atlantic celebration here in Toronto.

Regards

R58484956
17th August 2008, 14:39
Greetings Paul and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.