Where is this - MV Wellpark Deck Cadets 1980-82, or so?

jasmacpm
24th August 2008, 21:20
Hi,
wonder if any eagle eyed seafarers can tell me where this is? I think it may be in Taiwan, but I can't remember. It was taken whilst on a shore trip with fellow Denholm's deck cadets, from the MV Wellpark, sometime between 80-82, or so?

If you look closely (very!), you will see some of the cadets, standing behind some of the smaller statues, but it is very difficult to recognise anyone.

Thanks for looking,

Jimmy.

non descript
24th August 2008, 21:43
I think he is 118' high and lives in Kaohsiung (Thumb) - The cadets are outnumbered by about 480 smallish Buddha statues standing at the base.

non descript
26th August 2008, 21:07
To be wholly accurate this is Fuguang (Buddha's Aureola) Mountain and it is in the north-east area of Dashu Town, Kaohsiung County in Taiwan. It is known as the "Budhist Capital in south Taiwan" and its founder, Great Master Xing Yun, who was born in Yangzhou City, Jiangsu Province, and constructed Fuguang Mountain in Kaohsiung County in 1967. Some people misunderstand the figures and suggest it is 120 metres high, or even 400 metres high (which would be really scary (Jester) ) depending on where one starts counting. (Thumb)

jasmacpm
26th August 2008, 21:58
Thanks, Tonga,
will check up info about it on internet. Must admit it, bugged me a lot that I couldn't remember which country that it was in.
Have you been there yourself? You weren't in the Wellpark party, by chance?

Jimmy.

non descript
26th August 2008, 22:21
Thanks, Tonga,
will check up info about it on internet. Must admit it, bugged me a lot that I couldn't remember which country that it was in.
Have you been there yourself? You weren't in the Wellpark party, by chance?

Jimmy.

Jimmy, I have to confess to having been to Kaohsiung County but not the Buddah itself, which I only know about from Taiwanese friends. As for having moved in such exalted as the Wellpark and its Owners, I am afraid to say that I never strayed from the company that employed me at the tender age 16. They were kind enough to overlook my shortcomings and look after me far better than I deserved, so I stayed put.
(Thumb)
Mark

ps. I found a link about the Buddah located here (http://www.asia-planet.net/taiwan/kaohsiung.htm) .. but I do see that even this reports it (misguidedly) as 120 metres... instead of 120'

zein
21st December 2008, 21:24
I think I have one the very same in fact bloody loads of them. It was a shore trip in Kaohsiung whilst unloading grain from Durban. We went ashore on 11 October 1980. How's that for accuracy!!

jasmacpm
22nd December 2008, 22:27
I think I have one the very same in fact bloody loads of them. It was a shore trip in Kaohsiung whilst unloading grain from Durban. We went ashore on 11 October 1980. How's that for accuracy!!

Hello, Zein,

nice to see a fellow Wellparker aboard. Thanks for reply re statue. Can you recall if trip from Durban involved stopover in Singapore? I think I may have joined there? Did you see the game of football we played against a team of Taiwanese marines - they thumped us!
Do you have any pictures you can post? Were you a cadet, or other member of the team?
Didn't pick up your monicker from some of these Taiwanese lassies, did you?

Merry Christmas,

Jimmy.

zein
4th August 2009, 20:41
Hello, Zein,

nice to see a fellow Wellparker aboard. Thanks for reply re statue. Can you recall if trip from Durban involved stopover in Singapore? I think I may have joined there? Did you see the game of football we played against a team of Taiwanese marines - they thumped us!
Do you have any pictures you can post? Were you a cadet, or other member of the team?
Didn't pick up your monicker from some of these Taiwanese lassies, did you?

Merry Christmas,

Jimmy.
Jimmy,

Don't remember stopping at Singapore. Have loads of pics but they are all slides so nothing electronic. I got a pic of all the ships I sailed on from Fotoflite who fly the channel every day. If you quote the ships name and year you sailed on her they will send you whats available. I was a cadet from 1980 to 83 and sailed on 4 of the Diamond D's.

Zein

John Gowers
21st July 2018, 14:25
Hi Guys, just joined this forum. The photo is in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. I was on that trip and have almost the exact same photo, I do not remember stopping at Singapore but have crew changed there in the past on other ships. The ship did not usually stop but just carried on very slowly and took on fresh veg and did the crew change.

We loaded sugar very slowly it took about 2 weeks and the cadets eventually used up all their subs and took to selling stuff off the ship mainly beer and soap if I remember right. When you went into the local bars they would ask us if we wanted local beer or the stuff from the ship.

Went from there to Baltimore (where I paid off) through Panama.

Great ship only one I was on with three bars, the officers, the crew and the cadets bar was called the fridge because all that was in it was a big fridge for beer which got locked at 2200 by the mate.

John Gowers
21st July 2018, 16:12
Correction to the last email we were unloading grain and loaded sugar in some town in Queensland can't remember the name

airds
22nd July 2018, 14:54
Take a pic of it or share it to Google Goggles on your phone, and it identifies it easily enough :-)

Ian McCallum
13th February 2019, 16:37
John,
You are correct that we were discharging in Taiwan, but it was maize, loaded in Durban. the grain had been discharged in the Yemen before that. We then loaded sugar in Queensland , stopping overnight in Townsville for bunkers.before sailing to Baltimore via Panama. I was a second trip cadet, having sailed with you , I think , on my first trip when you were 3rd on the , Dare I mention it "DALMA".

John Gowers
17th February 2019, 12:00
Hi Ian,
Good to hear from someone from those days. You are right I was on the Dalma 79/80 and also for a second trip 81/82, it must have been the worse ship I was on when I was with Denholms but as usual with those crap ships they always seemed to have a good bunch of guys on them. I left the Diamond D in 84 and did a few trips with Northern Marine on the Stena RO-ROs, later I did a couple of years on BP tankers which I enjoyed, good company BP in those days. I then went offshore on the rigs in the North Sea and then abroad where I stayed for about 30 years until I retired as Chief Engineer on a drillship few years ago.
I have a load of photos of the crossing of the line on the Wellpark, I could send you some of them if you want you can get me on [email protected] You are probably in some of them.
All the best
John

Harry Grainger
18th February 2019, 15:19
Hi John,
Your name rang a bell somewhere away in the dim past, I recently found a notebook I kept with ships, and names of most people I sailed with. There you are Chemical Explorer, I joined January 1981 and left May 81.

John Gowers
18th February 2019, 15:32
Hi Harry,
Great to hear from you, you were 2/E if I remember right. I have some photos of when we took the life boat up the river with the Captain and we gave some kids 'a trip round the bay' in it. What was the captains name I member him singing in a bar where we ended up.
John