Leith nautical college

George Porteous
12th October 2017, 19:43
Observed an obituary in Scotmans newspaper of the death of Simon Douglas Young, late of Leith Nautical college. Would this be the same Captain Young lecturer of Shipsmaster's Business, for master Mariners course in the 1970s. There may have been a connection to the Young of Kemp and Young of Kandy Publications the nautical text books?
George Porteous

dja
25th December 2017, 15:14
No George, i am pretty sure this obituary is for Dougie Young who was an Engineering lecturer at LNC, and a very good one at that. As well as being an excellent fitter Dougie Young took us for Maths during my time there 1979-81, and he made Maths seem so simple. I have much to thank him for thats for sure. Dougie also played rugby for Leith Accies until he suffered a serious leg injury. RIP to a fine man.

Willcooper
24th May 2018, 00:00
You are correct dja , Dougie took us for Thermo Dynamics and Applied Mechanics during my time at LNC 70/72 . Good man ,RIP.
Do you remember Allister Stanton .

George Bis
24th May 2018, 20:11
In 1973 I spent three weeks doing the Radar Observers course at the radar hut down at the bottom of Leith harbour.
There were three of us on the course but on day one there was only me.
For some unknown reason the Lecturer seemed to blame me for this situation and I can't remember a longer day!

dja
31st May 2018, 21:41
You are correct dja , Dougie took us for Thermo Dynamics and Applied Mechanics during my time at LNC 70/72 . Good man ,RIP.
Do you remember Allister Stanton .

Yes Will i remember Alistair Stanton, he was also a lecturer at Leith when i was there, another good guy. Was John McLeod one of your lecturers, he took us for EK's ?

Saiilorjohn
14th October 2018, 12:52
Observed an obituary in Scotmans newspaper of the death of Simon Douglas Young, late of Leith Nautical college. Would this be the same Captain Young lecturer of Shipsmaster's Business, for master Mariners course in the 1970s. There may have been a connection to the Young of Kemp and Young of Kandy Publications the nautical text books?
George Porteous
Long time! John Schofield here - Green "R" days? Mention of Leith brought me up. Did early Tanker stcw certs. there, crude & chem. endorsements. '78/9. Alistair Struthers, from Unicorn, was on the course with us, working for DoT/MCA. at that time. You well?

THEDOC
22nd March 2019, 11:11
I attended an instrumentation and control course at the old Leith Nautical College in the mid 70s.
Came lunchtime we all departed to the Jungle for refreshments and entertainment; after the second day the lecturer asked where we were going for lunch and when we told him he warned us not to go to such iniquitous establishments as it was reputed to be a rough place.
After the laughter subsided we explained that the beer was good and a fair price, food was acceptable and the "entertainment" excellent.
We recommended he try it himself in future.