azingazingzing
23rd October 2017, 16:52
Hello there,

I am new to the forum. I have been following certain threads for a while now; particularly those related to the Orient and in particular Bangkok. I have been fascinated by the stories about the Mosquito Bar and Venus rooms and such at the Khlong Toey Port. I am planning to write a book, a novel about a sailor who sets off from England in Dec 1966 heading East to Thailand. The story will be fiction, however, I am wanting it to be as historically accurate as can be. I am hoping there are a few of you out there who can help a little with this. I have spent a great deal of time in Thailand myself, but sadly, after the bars of Khlong Toey had dissapeared, but my knowledge of the country is good. Infact i live between there, Saudi and the UK. I am an English language teacher; a job i fell into one day when i decided not to return to the UK after a period of time in Bangkok, and falling in love with all it has to offer; I'm sure some of you know exactly what I mean! I am hoping there was a ship that set sail just after Christmas 1966 set for Bangkok. If there was, it would be great to have the details of the route, the purpose and any stories/anecdotes about events that took place on board during the journey and in the ports on the way and once arrived. kindest regards to you all

billyboy
27th October 2017, 23:39
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Frank P
28th October 2017, 11:50
I lived in Bangkok for about 6 months in 1969 and I remember those bars well, I also stayed in Klong Toey for a while. My brother sailed from the UK to the Far East including Bangkok on the SS Benhiant and visited me there.

cheers Frank

azingazingzing
28th October 2017, 15:37
Thank you Frank P and Billyboy; would it be possible to pm you and pick your brains for some info? It really would be appreciated ...cheers