tankers and parkinsons

ECKER365
31st October 2017, 04:28
Hi just curious do you know of anybody working tankers developed parkinsons symptoms probably retired personnel though igot it age 38

stein
31st October 2017, 06:55
I have got Parkinson's, and have never been on any tanker. Nor have I ever seen any report of any correspondence between working in this or that millieu and the disease. You got it early, that is true, but that is not wholly uncommon. I have recently seen a newspaper article on teenagers with the disease.

Now I see that this is posted in the "Say Hello" section, - well, Hello and Welcome. Enjoy what is on offer. Hope you will find some old shipmates, or at least someone you would have liked to sail with.

ECKER365
2nd November 2017, 19:19
I have got Parkinson's, and have never been on any tanker. Nor have I ever seen any report of any correspondence between working in this or that millieu and the disease. You got it early, that is true, but that is not wholly uncommon. I have recently seen a newspaper article on teenagers with the disease.

Now I see that this is posted in the "Say Hello" section, - well, Hello and Welcome. Enjoy what is on offer. Hope you will find some old shipmates, or at least someone you would have liked to sail with.
just saw an article linking with pollution and diesel fumes in particular.One day they ll haave the answer ,a professor at Oxford ,one of the worlds l;eading researchers told me the cure will come by way of gene therapy though probably not in my lifetime.but you never know i had dbs and that was unheard of 15yrs ago

tiachapman
2nd November 2017, 22:15
benzine was a cargo which caused a lot of health problems in later life

stein
2nd November 2017, 23:33
There was a report about a month ago that those who who used a certain medicine against asthma never got Parkinson's, and there was high hopes that when this was sufficiently tested one could produce something that stopped the development of the disease. We who have lost a lot of black cells already, and are now nearing the end of an average life span, will probably never have it in our hands though.

And yes, the lungs are often seriously harmed by chemicals. I have Sarceodosis (with a lump in one lung the size of a tennis ball) and I suspect a combination of cigarettes and Xylen, a chemical they today loudly proclaim all markers now are free of, but has been breathed daily by me for 40 years. Parkinson's though has nothing to do with the lungs, and are spared those of African and Asiatic origin, whatever chemicals they have had contact with. And growing new healthy cells to replace those of the particular type that have disappeared in the brains of Parkinson's sufferers, seems to me to be be a long way beyond the current medicinal accomplishments. They have now spent a lot of time, money, and effort, hoping to do something like that for other diseases. With no progress whatsoever.

Ron Stringer
3rd November 2017, 11:42
Parkinson's though has nothing to do with the lungs, and are spared those of African and Asiatic origin, whatever chemicals they have had contact with.

At this time it would appear that there is no evidence to indicate that people of African ancestry are immune to Parkinson's Disease and its effects. See this link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15253330

I am not being nit-picking; it was just that your post surprised me, since I have seen black people, with what appeared to be Parkinson's, in the hospital out-patient clinics that I have been visiting while my wife was having neurological investigations associated with diabetic neuropathy. Your post made me think that maybe they were suffering from some other illness, so I went to Google. The same site has similar conclusions with reference to Asian ancestry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3924097/

I have sympathy with your condition. Several friends are sufferers; all with different symptoms, which also came as a surprise since I had not realised that the condition came in so many different guises. Not all have the tremors, the eyesight of two of them are affected but not the other three people. Much more complex a disease than I (or many others, I suspect) were aware.

stein
3rd November 2017, 13:26
I read that somewhere, and believed it. I tend to believe what is in printed letters. But there are several diseases that really are race related I believe. I read a lady claim that us whiteys (like herself) were responsible for the death of Bob Marley, inasmuch as the type of cancer that killed him does not kill pure blacks, therefore somewhere in history someone white raped one of his female ancestors, for which us not that enamoured of reggae are to blame!!! That just for the humorous content, but there are a lot of conpiratory conspiration theories about - like that living near high voltage electrical cables causes cancer, and that those who claim statistics does not prove it are paid to lie.

tiachapman
3rd November 2017, 13:46
yep and eating carrots you never lose your sight/ never yet seen a rabbit with glasses on

billyboy
4th November 2017, 22:45
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

lakercapt
5th November 2017, 03:01
Parkinsons is a neurological ailment that effects different people in many ways. I was dianosed several years ago and initially only had a tremor in one hand and a slight loss in balance. Medication was given and over a period of time the dosage was increased as the symptoms worsened. Stiffnes in muscles was next or muscle rigitity gradually worsened and medication was changed. It is now at stage four were I have difficulty walking and use a cane or at home a walker.There alas is no cure though research is on going. In the last few weeks the symptoms have got less but who knows what is next. I wish I knew what caused this and is it related to our seagoing, who knows. Still I was not a youngster when it started and at the age of nearly 82 I am still here and wake up each morning having outlasted many of my shipmates.

kauvaka
9th December 2017, 08:28
There is a recent article/interview in the New Zealand Herald in which a parkinsons sufferer suspects his parkinsons is linked to the chemical solvent trichloroethylene which was used to clean electro mechanical contacts during his time at NZ Post. There is mention in the article that an ex RNZN seafarer was recently awarded compensation due to suffering work related parkinsons. Sorry I do not know how to link the article to this post but it can be found online at nzherald.co.nz and doing a site search for parkinsons and/or trichloroethylene.

tsell
9th December 2017, 10:36
A good friend of mine had Parkinson's Disease but eventually passed away from the onset of Dementia. He had been following the Michael J Fox Foundation and maintained that he had found considerable solace from that organisation and raised funds, prior to the advance of his Dementia. As you are no doubt aware, Fox contracted Parkinson's at a relatively young age and as a result set up the foundation, which assists by funding research to find a cure. It has provided $750 million towards the research into the disease, since 2000 and is the largest non-profit funder worldwide.

https://www.michaeljfox.org/

Taff

tom roberts
7th January 2018, 12:11
There is a recent article/interview in the New Zealand Herald in which a parkinsons sufferer suspects his parkinsons is linked to the chemical solvent trichloroethylene which was used to clean electro mechanical contacts during his time at NZ Post. There is mention in the article that an ex RNZN seafarer was recently awarded compensation due to suffering work related parkinsons. Sorry I do not know how to link the article to this post but it can be found online at nzherald.co.nz and doing a site search for parkinsons and/or trichloroethylene.
I am going for a checkup re this illness as I am having tremors and and my hands are showing a difference in colour I have been on tankers in the fifties and have used trichloroethane when cleaning print rollers I wonder now hoe things will turn out but hey sod it ive had a good run so why worry.