hello from Corsica

tonydjo
3rd November 2017, 22:42
I am new to this site , thank you for your acceptance
I am interested in the 50's - 60's cargo ships
best regards

spongebob
3rd November 2017, 22:55
Welcome to the site Tony, you will find a lot of news and reflections about the years you mention

Bob

tonydjo
3rd November 2017, 23:25
thanks Bob

jg grant
4th November 2017, 20:19
hello and welcome from NZ

billyboy
4th November 2017, 22:46
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

Fergie
5th November 2017, 04:21
Means you are interested in real ships, not a load of boxes or a block of flats

Laurie Ridyard
5th November 2017, 23:15
There's a book called " Hain of St. Ives " you might find interesting

ATB

Laurie

tonydjo
6th November 2017, 07:05
hello and welcome from NZ

thank you jg NZ

tonydjo
6th November 2017, 07:47
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

thank you billyboy for your welcome

tonydjo
6th November 2017, 07:54
Means you are interested in real ships, not a load of boxes or a block of flats

certainly Fergie , real cargo ships and cargo-passengers ships like Blue Funnel Stentor or the Blue Star Lines Uruguay Star

tonydjo
6th November 2017, 08:26
There's a book called " Hain of St. Ives " you might find interesting

ATB

Laurie

hello Laurie
thank's for your note , I've never heard of this book . I found it and bought it today on Abebooks. I'm sure that he will interest me

Laurie Ridyard
6th November 2017, 09:02
hello Laurie
thank's for your note , I've never heard of this book . I found it and bought it today on Abebooks. I'm sure that he will interest me

I joined Hain SS Co as a Deck Apprentice on 17th March , 1959.

My favourite book as a child was " Treasure Island ", the opening words of which are " Squire Trelawny, Doctor Livesey and the rest...."

My first ship was M.V." Trelawny " !

She was built in 1949, and had a 4 cylinder Doxford opposed piston marine diesel engine and very noisy open steam winches.

There are several videos of Doxford engines on Youtube .

ATB

Laurie.

tonydjo
6th November 2017, 16:28
I found on S.N. a photo of your ship , Trelawny, nice boat , I like this kind of cargo ships

Fergie
8th November 2017, 06:52
tonydjo

Never sailed on any of the ships you mention but living in NZ we had Blue Star, Port Line, Shaw Savill, NZ shipping and Federal always in our ports. Each developed a profile of their own.

I went to sea about a year after end of WW2 and eventually sailed out of Hong Kong with ICSN. In all the Far East ports we constantly saw, Harrison, Blue Funnel, Glen, Ben, Hain, and others that don't come to mind immediately. There were a large number of Liberty and Victory wartime built ships operating with these companies until new tonnage was built, in the new profile of sleek modern vessels. Sadly an era that only leaves memories. One thing I remember was anything sailing under the Russian flag still had gun mounts in place for years, but without armaments. Almost as if they were ready for another lot. Gradually as new vessels built,the vintage vessels were replaced and many ended up under FOC flags and were in the Far East.