Hi from Brisbane, Australia

James.Prentice1951
8th November 2017, 07:08
Introducing myself. Upon leaving school, Invercargill NZ I began work in the shipping office of JE Watsons at the port of Bluff. Port Line was one of the shipping companies we were Agents for and over the next three years,before joining the NZ Fire Service my job entailed all items from delivering mail to the ships crew, cargo plans and general dog body to all and sundry. Enjoyed my time and made many friends among the different crew from Captains down.
I have often wondered what happened to an old friend, Tony Murphy from Kidderminster. Last spoke with him when the Captains "tiger"on the Port Caroline back in about 1971. Anyone know of Tony.

tsell
8th November 2017, 10:28
Introducing myself. Upon leaving school, Invercargill NZ I began work in the shipping office of JE Watsons at the port of Bluff. Port Line was one of the shipping companies we were Agents for and over the next three years,before joining the NZ Fire Service my job entailed all items from delivering mail to the ships crew, cargo plans and general dog body to all and sundry. Enjoyed my time and made many friends among the different crew from Captains down.
I have often wondered what happened to an old friend, Tony Murphy from Kidderminster. Last spoke with him when the Captains "tiger"on the Port Caroline back in about 1971. Anyone know of Tony.

Welcome from the Gold Coast, James, you've joined a great site and you'll find hours of enjoyment here. I hope you find your old mate, Tony!

Cheers

Taff

billyboy
8th November 2017, 11:34
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

skilly57
8th November 2017, 13:04
Hi James,
Bit of a temperature difference between Brizzy & Invercargill - do you need a map to find your way home?? :-). I have 2 brothers over there (Caloundra & Kuranda) who preferred the warmth to what we get here. However, gotta say, when you guys save all your rain up for a big flood, you certainly do it properly!
Sailed for many years with captain Tony Murphy, but from Mairangi Bay, Auckland, not Kidderminster (as far as I know). This Tony was a USSC cadet way back when, and we both retired off the same ship earlier this year.
You connected to 'Singer Sue' from 'Cargill by any chance? If you are, you will know who I mean.

Cheers,
Skilly

Don Meehan
10th November 2017, 09:55
Hi James, we followed similar paths into the industry. I started with Blue Star Port Lines in Jan 1969 in New Plymouth. I recall Watsons were the Bluff agents. Do you remember Laurence Le Petitt who worked there ? I worked for McKay Shipping from 1980 in Auckland and we employed Laurence as our Bluff branch manager. We became very good friends. He is now self employed as a marriage celebrant in Whangarei. Agree it was great being part of the old "Home Boat" scene and likewise I made many friends on the ships.

Don

James.Prentice1951
14th November 2017, 00:08
Hi James,
Bit of a temperature difference between Brizzy & Invercargill - do you need a map to find your way home?? :-). I have 2 brothers over there (Caloundra & Kuranda) who preferred the warmth to what we get here. However, gotta say, when you guys save all your rain up for a big flood, you certainly do it properly!
Sailed for many years with captain Tony Murphy, but from Mairangi Bay, Auckland, not Kidderminster (as far as I know). This Tony was a USSC cadet way back when, and we both retired off the same ship earlier this year.
You connected to 'Singer Sue' from 'Cargill by any chance? If you are, you will know who I mean.

Cheers,
Skilly
Hi Skilly
Thanks for your note.
I moved to the Gold Coast from Dunedin in 1998 and then to Brisbane 3 years later. Love it here except for the odd occasional bouts of extremely hot weather interspersed with flood type rain. Overall it is a great place to live.
The Tony Murphy I was referring to is not the one you mention.
Lastly singer Sue is not family.
Cheers and thanks again for the reply to my introduction.