Robert Wilson ref MV MARWICK HEAD

RobertW
5th October 2008, 17:10
Just joined this site and saw message and photo of MV MARWICK HEAD. I joined her as a galley boy straight from HMS DOLPHIN Training School at Leith in 1959 aged 15 and 1/2.We took coal from Blyth to Power Station in London. Then we did two trips to Canada on the Great Lakes trading up and down as far as Fort William Ontario, where we loaded Robin Hood flour.They were a great bunch of shipmates.I was sorry to read about the death of Capt Grant. He was a super skipper. I managed to print a small copy of the ship as I often wondered what happened to her- being my very first ship on joining the Merchant Navy.

K urgess
5th October 2008, 17:59
Welcome aboard, Robert.
Glad SN's been of help already. Anything else just ask the crew.
Carry on exploring the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

benjidog
5th October 2008, 19:15
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

bert thompson
5th October 2008, 20:07
Welcome Brian. I sailed on the Marwick Head in 1957 with Captain Grant. Met up with him later when he was standing by a new ship at Clellands Shipyard
You will find plenty of assistance on this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
6th October 2008, 01:54
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Gulpers
6th October 2008, 16:35
Robert,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

gdynia
7th October 2008, 04:54
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Scurdie
10th August 2009, 00:06
In the 1950's, as a wee boy, I was taken to the launch of a Henry & MacGregor ship. I think it was at Robb's yard in Leith, and I think the ship was probably Marwick Head. I vaguely remember that she was a larger ship than most of H&M's existing fleet, which would fit with her making voyages to Canada.
Can anyone confirm that that fits with the date and place of building?

spartan
10th August 2009, 19:54
Scurdie,the Marwick Head was built by Robbs in 1952
Cheers
Spartan

johnvvc
12th August 2009, 23:54
RobertW - nice to hear you sailed on the Marwick Head.

I did a couple of trips on the Marwick Head as R/O between June and September 1961, (Sunderland - North Shields & North Shields - Grangemouth).

Looking at my Discharge Book it's signed by Captain Grant. Sadly I can't really say I remember him... Trying to decipher the writing, would he have been James Grant I wonder?

The Marwick Head was first ship on my own, couple of months to get my feet wet and I joined a City boat heading for the Far East and the beginning of the slippery slope!!! (Thumb)

John

johnb42
12th August 2009, 23:56
A warm welcome Robert.