Say Hello---Help please

weemanv2
8th October 2008, 20:49
Hi there,
Fistly I'm not a ship or navy enthusiast I am trying to research my family tree but have drawn a blank in reference to information about a ship/boat. I have googled but had no look so thought I would try asking some experts.

My grandad joined the Navy in about 1939. My mum is now getting quite old and she thinks the ship was called either Alfa or Alka or something like that and it was either a mine sweeper or mine layer.

Any help would be really appreciated so thankyou in advance.

Bruce Carson
8th October 2008, 20:59
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, weeman.
Good to have you onboard.
I've taken the liberty of moving your first post to our "Say Hello" forum as it well receive more exposure here.

Bruce

bert thompson
8th October 2008, 21:15
Welcome to this great site
Am sure it will not be long bebore someone can guide you on the right course to get the information you want
Best wishes
Bert.

Gulpers
8th October 2008, 21:40
weemanv2,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around the site. (Thumb)

benjidog
8th October 2008, 22:19
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

We have some real experts here and I am sure someone will be able to help you. Remember to check back from time to time if there is not an immediate answer as our members are rarely beaten by this kind of question.

billyboy
9th October 2008, 01:00
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Swerve
9th October 2008, 03:24
Welcome to the board. Have a look at this link, (http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/index.htm) hope it helps. As someone who has spent years tracing the family tree I can appreciate how difficult and frustrating it is, good luck.

Edit: Also try this link. Same website but closer to what I think you're looking for. (http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/cruiser_-_minelayers_.htm)

gdynia
9th October 2008, 05:22
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

GWB
9th October 2008, 06:59
Welcome aboard Weeman I am sure the crew will help you in your search enjoy thr trip.

GWB

Steve Woodward
9th October 2008, 16:36
First of all welcome to SN from Sufolk, enjoy your time with us.
I cannot find any reference to Alfa of Alka but amongst mine sweepers do the following tick any boxes
Algerine class : Alarm, Alert or Albacore
Bathurst class : Ararat
Minelayers : Abdiel, Ariadne, Adventure Ariel Amphitrite

Although these are longer name they are begining with A and all were involved with mines
Steve

weemanv2
9th October 2008, 19:26
Hi guys,
thankyou for the very nice welcome.

I have managed to find the ship in question and now have a photo of it.

It was the SS Alca.

Can you explain to me whether this means it was a Royal Naval Ship or Merchant Navy Ship, What does SS stand for or anything else that may be of interest to me.

As usual

Thanks in advance
Andy.