Greetings, I just posted a ship video on YouTube

tuutuutango
9th October 2008, 07:40
Gentleman:

Greetings from Texas, where I grew up in a region having little water, few ponds and certainly no vast oceans (El Paso.) I just joined ShipNostalgia.Com yesterday to announce on the forum in the "White Elephant" section that I placed a video on YouTube in regard to the LNG tanker, El Paso Paul Kayser. I stumbled onto information about her sister ship (here on ShipsNostalgia) the El Paso Sonatrach and was delighted to see several posts in regard to the LNG tankers that El Paso built back in the 1970s.

I must admit, I have very little background in your industry and trade, except to say I love ships, even though having little experience on or with them. I can say that I saw the EL Paso Paul Kayser for the first time (as I made my little film) and I was smitten with this marvelous vessel as she made her first delivery at Elba Island, Georgia on 9-25-1978.

I saw her a second time when I was in Navy Officer's Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island. She was berthed less than half a mile away from my barracks after she ran aground off the coast of Spain. She was awaiting her fate at Newport and it is my understanding she was eventually sold for scrap. If memory serves me correct, she cost $120 million to build when ordered in the mid-1970s and she was built in France. I can not even begin to understand what an LNG ship would cost today, and I imagine in the current economic climate, how could someone get financing to build a massive ship now? When EL Paso undertook this LNG venture, the company spent in excess of $1 billion to build 5 LNG ships. A few groundings and a change in the government in Algeria (a hostile Marxist regime) made the business climate intolerable and totally unpractical and the LNG exports were canceled. All the ships were either scrapped or re-fitted for other missions.

When I saw El Paso Paul Kayser (my second and last time) berthed in safe harbor at Rhode Island, it was indeed very sad for me. I felt like I saw an old friend being (as we say here in Texas) put out to pasture, decades ahead of her time. I guess for some of us, we become attached to things inanimate such as ships and airplanes and the like?

If anyone is interested, please view my video on YouTube. You can type in the search-box "El Paso Paul Kayser" and you should be directed to the video. If not, my YouTube moniker is TUTUUTANGO and you'll see a list of my films, mostly airplanes (one I built and flew myself, as well as my ride in a B-52). I would greatly appreciate any comments you might have about the El Paso Paul Kayser or my humble, little film running about 4 minutes long... just add them to the comment section on YouTube. I always benefit from comments and/or constructive criticism, especially from people having more expertise than I on a subject such as ships.

I thank you and appreciate your consideration.

Sterling

non descript
9th October 2008, 07:51
Sterling, a warm welcome to you on your first and very excellent posting. Thank you joining the community; please enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your further postings. (Thumb)

ps. the direct link to Sterling's YouTube Video is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lPDe9pF9CU)

bert thompson
9th October 2008, 09:51
Welcome Sterling to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
9th October 2008, 10:35
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Harvey Williams
9th October 2008, 12:13
A very warm welcome from Wales Sterling, I have read with great interest your introduction and will soon be tuning into U-Tube to watch your videos, you are without doubt a Gentleman with a great passion of things nautical. I sincerely hope you find exactly what you are looking for here on S.N. You are truly amongst a grand body of Men whom I can honestly say will help you in you quest for knowledge off all things Nautical. If I can be of any assistance in my small way I am only at the end of this line. Hope you enjoy your voyage with us here on S.N.
Regards.
Harvey.

K urgess
9th October 2008, 12:18
Welcome aboard, Sterling.
A very nice introduction demonstrating a passion for ships and the sea that most of the crew share.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Bruce Carson
9th October 2008, 13:43
Sterling, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
Make yourself at home and join in our spirited discussions at any time.

Bruce

jasmacpm
9th October 2008, 18:08
Hi, Sterling. Got your email and will get back to you about your request.

Cheers,

Jimmy.

stan mayes
9th October 2008, 18:32
The 30,000th member is due aboard any moment.
A big big welcome to whoever you are from a very good crew who you will soon meet.
Best wishes and fine sailing.
Stan

carolstepp
9th October 2008, 18:59
Welcome aboard, Sterling. I live in Austin, TX, but grew up in Corpus Christi, and in the 60s, managed a merchant seaman's bar in CC. I joined a few weeks ago, and already have found a couple of people I knew, or knew of others, on here. I think this is a wonderful website.

Carol

jasmacpm
9th October 2008, 20:10
Hi, Sterling,
Enjoyed clip of El Paso Paul Kayser on You Tube. Did you consider posting it on the SN TV section? I think it would be most welcome?
Hope you got my email?
Couple of questions re "El Paso."
-Do you know significance/origin of colour scheme of these ships - the creamy, orangy and pale blue?
- How does one pronounce "Kayser?" Is it an "Ay" sound, as in "Bay", or "I" sound, as in "Kaiser?"
-If I recall correctly, I was told that some/all of the welding of the tanks was done by women as they were more accurate and did a better job than men.
Do you know if that was actually the case?

Cheers,

Jimmy.

jasmacpm
9th October 2008, 22:35
Hi, Sterling,
also meant to ask if Mr Kayser is still alive?
J.

tuutuutango
10th October 2008, 01:29
Hi, Sterling,
also meant to ask if Mr Kayser is still alive?
J.

Paul Kayser (pronounced Ki-Zir) died around 1983. He was older than dirt when I saw him in 1978, but going full-steam then, as he did for most of his life.

Brainy guy, had gumption, vision and guts to invest in a massive business in both 1929 and with the Algeria project in the mid 70s.

gdynia
10th October 2008, 06:39
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
10th October 2008, 19:15
Greetings Sterling and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
10th October 2008, 21:23
Sterling,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
10th October 2008, 22:41
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

tuutuutango
11th October 2008, 07:22
Wow... seafarers and folks who like things nautical are sure a bunch of nice folks. I appreciate the warm welcome and I have an idea why seafarers are prone to hospitality and courtesy. Here goes.

My grandfather was a cattle rancher between Pecos and Fort Stockton, Texas. He had about 6 square miles of land he ranched and it was out in the middle of nowhere. When I was a youngster back in the 50s and early 60s, my folks would let me spend the summers on the ranch. Mom and dad would drive the nearly 300 miles to the ranch from where we lived in El Paso, drop me off and it was such great fun, with the exception of not seeing many people during the course of my summer vacations from school. The entire 3 month vacation, we would "go into town" (about 40 miles away) for provisions and such, maybe twice a month.

Once my grandfather and/or grandmother and I drove the 40 miles to Fort Stockton (where I was born), we were so excited to finally see people, that we too, must have been perceived as "friendly folks." I guess such is with seafarers? Passing across the vast and expansive oceans as you lads and lasses have, once you finally got to port, you felt probably as happy as I did (as a youngster on a lonely ranch) to finally see someone new.

I can only admire seafarers because I spent the bulk of my life out here in west Texas in the dry deserts and open ranges. And I suspect I missed my calling. My favorite movies and books have for years been ones about ships and or the people who earned their living on them.

Daing, had I just grown up in or near a port city, life might have been totally different for me, but at least I'm glad I came across "ShipsNostalgia" where I can rub elbows with you fine people.

Thanks for all the warm messages, y'all. This looks like it will be fun.

albert.s.i
11th October 2008, 09:45
welcme sterling to sn you will have endless fun with this crew. albert.s. i

Alistair Macnab
11th October 2008, 17:41
tututango....

Greetings from a Ship Nostalgia member not so far away in Houston TX> Like you, I am very interested in ships and shipping but unlike you, I have had an entire career in the industry.

Now retired from the British Merchant Navy and living in Houston the reason I am writing to you is because of your interest in film-making. I have three children who in one way and another are in the film and TV industry. One is a producer of cable network reality shows, one is a film editor (both are in LaLaLand) and one in the TV game development business here in Houston.

If we can help in you in any way, please contact.

Kind regards and Welcome to Ship Nostalgia.

Alistair Macnab