Brian Crichton BYMS 72 Research

Brian Crichton
10th October 2008, 12:54
(Cloud) First off Hi nice to meet you.

I am the son of Colin Crichton, who was the Leading Wireman on the British Yard Minesweeper BYMS 72, when she was attacked by a Dornier bomber that launched a Henschel HS 293 Flying Bomb hitting her an the Port side Directly below the Oerlicon gun platform.
The 72 after landing the dead and wounded on the Greek Island of leros and still badly damaged the ship headed for repairs in a safe harbour, only to be attacked again this time by E Boats at close Quarters.
I have more information than I need on this part of his life at sea, but have come up against a brick wall when trying to find his first ship, I have my Fathers Certificate of service and after training the first ship mentioned is NEMO the base and what looks like the name Strive from 23 Mar 41 until the 27 May 41, if anyone has information on the BYMS 72 or served on her I would love to hear from you.
If anyone would like to know more of the 72 i would be happy to oblige.
unfortunately my Father passed over the bar April 2006.

K urgess
10th October 2008, 13:15
Welcome aboard, Brian.
I'm sure our knowledgeable crew will be able to help with your queries.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

bert thompson
10th October 2008, 16:10
Welcome Brian to this wonderful site. Hope you enjoy all that is on offer
Best wishes
Bert.

Steve Woodward
10th October 2008, 17:33
Brian,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us and the best of luck in finding more of your fathers history.
Im sure you will know, but for the benefit of others, HMS Nemo was a air-sea rescue unit based at Brightlingsea off the river Colne in Essex it's C/O for most of the war was Captn J.P. Landon (1942-5) who took over from a Captain CC Bell.
I can find no immediate reference to HMS Strive so she was not a normal warship, Nemo used a mixed bag of fast rescue launches and a collection of trawlers, there was a trawler called Strive requisitioned by the admiralty in WW2 and used as a minesweeper until 1945 when she returned to her civilian role

I think you may have tried this route but most trawlers were operated by the Royal naval patrol Service http://www.rnps.lowestoft.org.uk/index.htm
They may be able to help, unfortunately I have no further info on the Strive but some of our members will - perhaps you could start a new thread looking for her - best of luck
Steve

Bruce Carson
10th October 2008, 17:43
Brian, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
Chances are our members will have some additional information for you.

Bruce

R58484956
10th October 2008, 19:47
Greetings Brian on you first posting to SN. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
10th October 2008, 22:10
Brian,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
10th October 2008, 23:37
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
11th October 2008, 01:31
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
11th October 2008, 10:52
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage