Hello from Port Guichon

Port Guichon
13th October 2008, 09:57
I am a student in the Metro Vancouver area with a fond and ingrained interest in nautical history and ships in general. From about my second year of life I was strapped down to the cockpit of my family's C&C Landfall 38' sailboat and cruised the the coastal waters of the Gulf (Canadian) and San Juan (US) Islands between the Vancouver Area and Vancouver Island, British Columbia until I was 10. Since then I've gained an affinity for the water and went on to persue such activities as the Sea Scouts and most recently as a moderator for the West Coast Ferries Forum ( http://ferriesbc.proboards20.com ), until I ran out of enough time to devote to the job. I keep upto date with many members of that forum, many of who are equally enthusiastic about nautical heritage.

I have taken my user name here from a nearby forgotten place of nautical historically important significance that happens to line up well with one focus of my interest in local nautical heritage, ferries. I live in the community of Ladner in the Municipality of Delta, British Columbia, south of Vancouver, and just a couple Km away was Port Guichon ( http://www.vanc.igs.net/~roughley/port_guichon.html ), once a terminus for rail ferries to Vancouver Island.

One of my key ambitions from my interest in nautical heritage is historical documentation in order to preserve past no matter what the fate of the ship is. Some of the fruits of this pursuit can be found on my flickr page ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/bctransit ), though it's still under contstruction and always will be if only for my continual addition of new images. Currently I've been adding a few of my favorite images from the past that my old camera has afforded me as I am now the proud owner of a Nikon D90.

I look forward to contributing to and learning from this forum.

Graham

Steve Woodward
13th October 2008, 10:01
Graham,
A good intro, welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us
Steve

K urgess
13th October 2008, 11:24
Nice introduction, Graham, welcome aboard.
Find your way around the ship, join in with the crew and enjoy the voyage.

billyboy
13th October 2008, 11:49
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Bruce Carson
13th October 2008, 14:14
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Graham.
Good to have you onboard.
We'll be looking forward to your future postings to our site.

Bruce

R58484956
13th October 2008, 15:07
Greetings PG and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

bert thompson
13th October 2008, 16:46
Welcome Graham. Do hope you enjoy this wonderful addictive site
Best wishes
Bert.

Ian6
13th October 2008, 17:04
Graham
Welcome. I have visited your flickr page and enjoyed the excellent pictures, perhaps you will post some directly on SN. Our son lives in North Van and we crossed over to the Island from Horseshoe Bay about a month ago on our way to Tofino. He hoped that we would catch the new BC ferry 'Coastal Renaisance' but failed each way.
The plus is if you ain't aboard her you get to see her crossing midway.

Enjoy this site.

Ian

Gulpers
13th October 2008, 20:42
Graham,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)
We will certainly look forward to your SN contributions.(==D)

benjidog
13th October 2008, 23:18
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

gdynia
14th October 2008, 09:08
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Port Guichon
22nd October 2008, 04:02
Thanks for all of your warm welcomes. Given enough free time, I look forward to becoming wonderfully addicted to this very interesting forum.

Graham
Welcome. I have visited your flickr page and enjoyed the excellent pictures, perhaps you will post some directly on SN. Our son lives in North Van and we crossed over to the Island from Horseshoe Bay about a month ago on our way to Tofino. He hoped that we would catch the new BC ferry 'Coastal Renaisance' but failed each way.
The plus is if you ain't aboard her you get to see her crossing midway.

Enjoy this site.

Ian
I look forward to choosing and posting some fitting images of mine to this forum directly. On a side note, I'm especially excited about using ships as subject matter with new baby, my Nikon D90.

Our ferries are great motivation for sighting and photographing active passenger service, probably the most substantial fleet and network of routes on the entire paficic coast from pole to pole. Our fleet's recent and ongoing retirement in droves, mandated by how quickly it all began in the 1960s, really was the catalyst that thrust me into my interest in photography, beginning as trying to make historical record but developing into a passion, and focussed me on the history and development of my province's coast, all based on coastal navigation.