Smiths Dock (North Shields)

sjedgar
13th October 2008, 09:28
Hello all.

I am wondering if you might be able to help me with some research I am currently doing regarding Smiths Docks (North Shields).

I am currently trying to trace the names of all the ships which went into Smiths North Shields dry-dock between 1975 and the mid 1980s for maintenance and repair only. However this is proving more difficult than I had hoped.

If anyone knows of any of these ships I woudl be grateful if you could let me know so that I can compile as complete a list as possible.

Just let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you in advance for your assistence.

Sarah

K urgess
13th October 2008, 11:14
Welcome aboard Sarah.
There's been plenty of discussion on the subject if you search but I'm sure the crew will help with anything you want to know.
Enjoy the voyage.

billyboy
13th October 2008, 11:51
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
13th October 2008, 15:10
Greetings Sarah and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Good luck with your search. Bon voyage.

bert thompson
13th October 2008, 16:42
Welcome Sarah to this great site. Sorry I can't help with your query
Best wishes
Bert.

Gulpers
13th October 2008, 20:39
Sarah,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Pat McCardle
13th October 2008, 21:03
Welcome aboard Sarah. If you contact Tyne Pilots they may have a log of all ships that have used Smiths Dock, if not they may be able to point you in the right direction. (No pun intended)

benjidog
13th October 2008, 23:22
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

gdynia
14th October 2008, 09:07
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Hawkeye
19th October 2008, 22:32
Hi Sarah, the ships from the company I worked for (Townsend Thoresen/P&O European Ferries) sent their ships on a regular basis to North Shields for the yearly inspection. I was there on the Baltic Ferry, round about 1989/90. Is this too late for the time scale you have set?

Vindi Phil
27th October 2008, 13:10
Hello all.

I am wondering if you might be able to help me with some research I am currently doing regarding Smiths Docks (North Shields).

I am currently trying to trace the names of all the ships which went into Smiths North Shields dry-dock between 1975 and the mid 1980s for maintenance and repair only. However this is proving more difficult than I had hoped.

If anyone knows of any of these ships I woudl be grateful if you could let me know so that I can compile as complete a list as possible.

Sarah
Hi!,
I was on the Sealink Ferries out of Dover / Folkestone during those years and I'm positive that we used Smith Dock for our annual refits at times. We used the North East coast ports for years such as Wallsend, Middlesborough, Newcastle. These could have been any or all of the following, Shepperton Ferry/Vortigern/Hengist/Horsa/Dover/Holyhead Ferry. Hope it helps.
Regards,
Vindi Phil.

Derek Roger
27th October 2008, 14:43
Welcome from Canada Sarah . Regards Derek

ALAN TYLER
27th October 2008, 15:29
Hello all.

Sarah
Hi Sarah,
I used to work for Houlder Offshore and we used Smiths on a regular basis around the time you,re interested in. I,ve dry-docked there on diving support vessels, the Oregis ( H.T.S. Coupler 1) and the Uncle John. I put a photo of them both at Smiths together on the Houlder Offshore thread of ships nostalgia. hope this is of some use to you.
Alan T.

kennydee
27th October 2008, 17:10
hi my i worked in the ship yards in the 70 s and a few names i recall are the BAYLEAF/ OLWYN/ OLNA/ BLACK ROVER /FORT AUSTIN /FORT GEORGE hope this is some help to you if i remember anymore i will get back to you ok good luck with your search

ALAN TYLER
28th October 2008, 12:07
Hi Sarah, Just remembered an interesting fact about the Uncle John when in Smiths dry-dock. Having two pontoons she had to straddle two dry-docks, quite a sight! Alan T.

Enri
28th October 2008, 15:09
Hello Sarah,
Had to check my discharge book, but I joined the Rocknes as mate (Jebsens (UK)), in North Shields on the 27/06/82. I'm sure this was at Smiths yard, as I recall it had a hill to climb on the left, as opposed to those further up river at Wallsend, where the gate out of the yard there was on a hill to the right of the three docks.
There was a fish and chip shop at the top of the hill on the main road, the first time I ever had a pie and chips with gravy poured straight over the pie in the paper. (The reason I remember that particular dock). Of course the pie, chips and gravey all fell through the soggy paper.
The master was Trevor Lee, who later became a Medway pilot.

Enri

ALAN TYLER
29th October 2008, 15:48
Hi Enri, Just straight outside the dock gate was the Wolsington pub run by Tom & Peggy if my memory serves me right. By the way I sailed on the Bolnes in the late 60s. Alan T.