Merchant navy, have we still got one?

11th July 2005, 19:14
This looks a good site to keep an eye on.As an ex Marconi sparks sept 1963-jan 1970, I still find shipping news interesting. Ex ships:-Baron Ogilvy, Esso lincoln,Corfen,Queensgarth,Hollybank,gartwood,Tamw orth,River Benue nad Helen miller plus a few coastal relieving jobs on the Corinthic/City of Chicago/Salaverry/silver Hawk. Enjoyed everyday of it. (Thumb)

stevecz
11th July 2005, 21:56
Not what it used to be, but enjoy the site and enjoy how it was!!!!!!
Welcome to SN.

11th July 2005, 23:22
Hiya Ron,

Also a sparks in the same period, but wasn't a radio comnpany man. Was with Brocklebanks and LOF. There's a lot of us ex R/Os on this site, so it's either a great place to be or somewhere to avoid.

See you around,
Dave

Ron B Manderson
11th July 2005, 23:51
welcome and enjoy the site .
The banters is great here.
Ron
batcave

flyer682
12th July 2005, 05:20
Welcome aboard, Ron. Enjoy the site, we look forward to your contributions.
Please take the time to read "Guidelines To Posting" in either Members Notice Board or Say Hello Forums - should answer most of your questions re posting on site.

Snilloc
12th July 2005, 06:55
A 'Newbie' here but look forward to browsing.

Check out my Web Site for M.N Info.

http://snillocnor.tripod.com/vindi.html

Thanks.

Ron.

ex ro
30th October 2005, 20:44
hi I was ro on the helen miller in 73 c/s GZNA as i remember was on charter to Manchester Liners going to Great Lakes we lost bulbous bow after spending days going through pack ice and spent a couple of weeks in St Johns Newfounldand being repaired with a flat panel I never found out if she ever got a replacement bulbous bow., she was a fine tramper with lets say fun loving crowd onboard at that time regards alan

tell
7th December 2005, 01:41
hi I was ro on the helen miller in 73 c/s GZNA as i remember was on charter to Manchester Liners going to Great Lakes we lost bulbous bow after spending days going through pack ice and spent a couple of weeks in St Johns Newfounldand being repaired with a flat panel I never found out if she ever got a replacement bulbous bow., she was a fine tramper with lets say fun loving crowd onboard at that time regards alan
could you tell me who she belonged to please? Tell

paul0510
7th December 2005, 10:28
Mornin' Ron (and fellow ex-Queensgarther),
just a tip that the Moderators have overlooked (!!)....change your handle so that your email address ain't visible!!
Some good Sparky yarns around to tickle your fancy!

ruud
7th December 2005, 10:57
Ahoy Ron,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.

Note:
Ahoy Paul, I did noticed his "Nickname" as member,and there are others users, with their name @ address logged in, but if he wants it this way, he's free to do so.But as you advices, better change it.

gdynia
7th December 2005, 12:17
Ron
welcome Onboard we may not have much of a fleet if any now but we have it in our heart, thoughts and dreams

R58484956
7th December 2005, 15:10
Welcome Ron to SN enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

Dave437
8th September 2006, 17:50
Hi Ron and Paul, fellow "Queensgarthers"! I had the priviledge of sailing on her as 2nd Mate from Nov '66 to Feb '67 under the command of Joe Sharp (Nicknamed Jose Pronto), a real nice guy and a gentleman. He and the C/E (can't remember his name) used to play tabletennis as if their lives depended on it. Enjoy the site, it's a great source of news and history. Dave437.

ex ro
10th September 2011, 02:33
She was owned by the ST Vincent Shipping Company and managed by Munroe Brothers of Liverpool also had previous name Anna Renata and has a sister ship under German Flag named Christina Bolten . She was the last ship to be built at Burntisland .
Regards Alan

beedeesea
10th September 2011, 18:30
Hi Ron and Paul, fellow "Queensgarthers"! I had the priviledge of sailing on her as 2nd Mate from Nov '66 to Feb '67 under the command of Joe Sharp (Nicknamed Jose Pronto), a real nice guy and a gentleman. He and the C/E (can't remember his name) used to play tabletennis as if their lives depended on it. Enjoy the site, it's a great source of news and history. Dave437.

Hi Dave,
Would that be the same Joe Sharp (from South Shields, I think), who I sailed with when he was relief master on the "Corbeach". If so, you're spot on about him being a really nice guy. He used to josh me about "being only there to earn enough for the grass of a goat and a cow".

Brian