Hi all

majoco
15th October 2008, 11:41
Hello - I'm a new kid on the block. Hardly qualify really as it's a long time since I was at sea, so here's a brief resume:
Brought up in Braintree, Essex, and did my Sparks course at South East Essex Tech, Dagenham - the very first MRO course they had run so it was the blind leading those who could not see. Joined MIMCo (Father worked for MWT in Chelmsford) and first ship was "Esso Exeter" with an alcoholic Irish 1R/O. Taken off after 4months to join a Geordie collier "Sir William Walker" as sole op and spent 6 mo going Newcastle area to Shoreham and back. Very exciting! Various others rangeing from "Empress of England" as 3rd to Hedlam's "Glaisdale", a rusting Liberty boat with a great crew and the best food. Quit in 1968 and joined UK Civil Aviation installing ILS, VOR etc all over UK. Did 5 years in the RNVR as Sparks - had our own Minesweeper, HMS "Curzon" - unfortunately sunk off the Dutch coast. Got married and emigrated to NZ in 1974 - joined CAA here, and spent 10 years flying round the South Pacific Islands in our own aircraft inspecting radio aids. Gov't decided too expensive so let contract to Aussies. I went to work for Air NZ at Christchurch as Avionics Engineer then a Calibration Engineer and retired last year. Best wishes to all and hopefully I'll have something useful to contribute soon!

Best regards - Martin

gdynia
15th October 2008, 11:49
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
15th October 2008, 12:00
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer. Theres a few ex RO's aboard here

K urgess
15th October 2008, 12:41
Welcome aboar, Martin.
Sounds like a varied and interesting career that will fit you into the crew nicely.
Plenty of us knocking about the ship and a well stcked radio room.
Beware though it's very addictive but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the trip.

bert thompson
15th October 2008, 13:54
Welcome Martin to this wonderful site
Very interesting first posting. Hope for many more
Best wishes
Bert.

Gulpers
15th October 2008, 14:00
Martin,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

Bruce Carson
15th October 2008, 21:27
Martin, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
I think you'll the time spent on SN.
We'll be looking forward to you future postings.

Bruce

benjidog
15th October 2008, 23:59
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.