James S Gillies (Father of Jean Goodwillie)

JEAN GOODWILLIE
12th July 2005, 17:14
My Dad, James S Gillies, of Lower Largo, Fife, served on the following ships during WW2:-

Assuan
Bretwalda
British Chemist
Empire Trent
Fort Chipewyan

When the Bretwalda sank in December 1942 the crew were picked up by the destroyer ORP Krakowiak (ex- HMS Silverton).

If anyone has any information or photos of any of these ships, or even knew my Dad, I would be pleased to hear from you.

My son, Dave, and I are members of the British Titanic Society. I am
interested in liners, cruise ships, and naval vessels as well as Merchant Ships of WW2

stevecz
12th July 2005, 18:12
Welcome to the site Jean,
Here's some information gathered whilst doing my own research. I think someone on the site will be able to expand on this small contribution.

This link will take you to the Bretwalda
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/2525.html (http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/2525.html)

British Chemist, scrapped in 1953.

Empire Trent - Originally called “Rockpool”.
Built 1927 by, William Gray & Co West Hartlepool.
Owned by Sir R.Ropner & Co, West Hartlepool.
She ran aground 1941, salvaged by the MOWT (Ministry of War Transport), renamed “Empire Trent”.
Sold to Union SS Co of South Africa in 1946, renamed “General George Brink”.
Sold to Arcturus SS Co, Panama in 1947, renamed “Africana”.
Scrapped in 1959, Osaka, Japan,.

John Rogers
12th July 2005, 18:24
Welcome to the site Jean , there is a lot of good information in the heads of our members and they are always ready and happy to share it.
John

12th July 2005, 18:50
Hi Jean,

Just a little information to add. As the Rockpool, she ran aground on the 1st February 1941 in fog, on Little Cumbrae Island, in the Firth of Clyde. She was on a voyage from St. John NF to the Clyde carrying pit props and steel. She became tidal in a gale and her stern gear was smashed and bottom extensively damaged. She was declared a constructive total loss but was later raised and repaired, being renamed the Empire Trent.

Fort Chipewyan. Built at West Coast Shipbuilders Ltd. Yard No. 103. Was supplied on lend lease 9th July 1942 and returned in 1947.

She was sold off in 1949 and became the Bharatraja. She was scrapped at Bombay in 1962.

Regards and Welcome,
Dave

Ron B Manderson
12th July 2005, 19:48
enjoy the site
your will surely find your answers soon
ron

flyer682
13th July 2005, 03:18
Welcome aboard, Jean. As you can see, always people here ready to help. Enjoy the Site.