Hello - I'm a new member!

Margaret1956
24th October 2008, 02:08
Hi everyone. I was just informed of this site, so decided to log in. I am the daughter of Ralph L Way, a lifelong mariner. My Dad spent the majority of his life at sea on large steam ships. I have been researching his life for about three years. I have most of his sea travels documented, but I do have some holes. I also have all of his old black and white photos. He loved to take pictures, but was very bad at writting anything on them. So, I have been trying to discover the names of the various ships he took pictures of and where in the world he was. I also have alot of pictures of his mates. Although I remember some of his friends names, I do not remember what they looked like. My Dad passed away in 1969. So, I am looking for any one who might remember him or his mates. I am happy to download onto this site some of the photos of his mates, if I can figure out how to do that here. A retired seaman who found me on www.shipspotting.com referred me to this site.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Margaret1956
24th October 2008, 02:16
My Dad joined the Masters Mates and Pilots Union in aprox 1936. Some of the ships he served on were Dakotan, Californian, West Camargo, Tongass, Olympic Pioneer, Elko Victory, Wake Forest Victory, Canada Mail, Island Mail, China Mail, Berkeley Victory and locally, Coastal Rambler, Galena and Nadina. If any of these sound familiar to anyone, please contact me. Thanks!

billyboy
24th October 2008, 04:12
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer. You have come to the right place for information as there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. you may even run into some of his shipmates on here.

surfaceblow
24th October 2008, 05:09
The Master Mates and Pilots have a magazine that they send out to members and retires six times a year. If you contact the communications director you may get her to add your request for members that remember your Dad.

http://www.bridgedeck.org/contactus.htm

bert thompson
24th October 2008, 08:23
Welcome Margaret. Sure someone on this wonderful site will be able to assist you in your search.
Best wishes
Bert.

gdynia
24th October 2008, 09:32
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
24th October 2008, 10:32
Greetings Margaret and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

K urgess
24th October 2008, 11:53
Welcome aboard, Margaret.
I'm sure the crew will be able to help with your quest.
If you haven't already tried you might got to http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ to find the histories of your father's ships.
To get the crew to identify the ships upload them into the "Need a ship identified" gallery and the pictures of your father's shipmates into "life onboard" or member's faces.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Gulpers
24th October 2008, 14:34
Margaret,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

rstimaru
24th October 2008, 14:40
Welcolm to the site may you enjoy it as much as we all do Bob

benjidog
24th October 2008, 21:29
Welcome from Lancashire.
Although it has been nearly 40 years since your Dad passed away we do have some "ancient mariners" on the site so there is an outside possibility that there is someone who knew him - depending of course on when he retired from the sea.
Good luck with your research. If you post any unidentified ships photos on the site there are some real experts here that may be able to help you.