Bank Line "Lochybank"

Arthur Miller
24th October 2008, 17:32
From Arthur Miller. I am looking for a photograph of th Bank Line "Lochybank". This was my first ship as an Apprentice in 1953. She was the ex Empire Honduras and I think must have been one of the last white crew ships operated by the Bank Line. At the end of our year long trip, I think she was sold to a Dutch company.

Roger Jordan
24th October 2008, 17:43
Hello Arthur

If you go to

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20L/slides/Lochybank-02.html

you will find a good image of LOCHYBANK, and at

www.arendnet.com/emp21.htm

there are two good images of the vessel under her next name of STAD HAARLEM.

Regards
Roger Jordan

K urgess
24th October 2008, 17:46
Welcome aboard, Arthur.
I see you have help from the crew already.
Explore the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

gdynia
24th October 2008, 18:24
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bruce Carson
24th October 2008, 18:45
Arthur, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
I think you'll be impressed with the breadth of our members' shipping knowledge and with our Galleries--join in our friendly discussions at any time.

Bruce

Gulpers
24th October 2008, 18:48
Arthur,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

R58484956
24th October 2008, 19:50
Greetings Arthur and a warm welcome to SN from a member on the south coast on your first posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

David E
25th October 2008, 00:19
From Arthur Miller. I am looking for a photograph of th Bank Line "Lochybank". This was my first ship as an Apprentice in 1953. She was the ex Empire Honduras and I think must have been one of the last white crew ships operated by the Bank Line. At the end of our year long trip, I think she was sold to a Dutch company.

I think she was the last.Was she a coal burner ? I seem to remember calling in Aden for bunkers. I was only in her for six weeks in April/May 1952-Colombo to Hull after eighteen months in the "Inchanga"
Long years gone,Happy days.

Regards
David E

billyboy
25th October 2008, 04:09
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

GWB
25th October 2008, 07:10
Welcome aboard from Brisbane Australia enjoy all the site has to offer.

GWB

bert thompson
25th October 2008, 10:52
Welcome Arthur to this wonderful addictive site
Best wishes
Bert.

Arthur Miller
25th October 2008, 19:06
Hello Roger Many thanks for the information on the Lochybank. She was a coal burner. We had to fill No 3 Tween decks for the voyage from the States to Australia. Bunkered in Jamaica.

benjidog
25th October 2008, 19:28
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Alistair Macnab
6th November 2008, 17:22
Arthur....

Once was secured at the Esplanade Moorings when the "Lochybank" came up the Hooghly, Main thing I remember was the pile of ash bags around the fiddley and smoke leaking from the SIDE of the funnel! She was white crew then and we were worried that the Super would have to round up all the apprentices in Calcutta from the five or six Bank boats in port to move "Lochybank" into Kidderpore Dock as the crew were in some sort of work stoppage. Didn't happen.

Welcome to SN. Its a great site! Nowadays the banana trade is containerized and is centered in Texas at Port Freeport.

Alistair Macnab
Houston TX

John Campbell
6th November 2008, 21:38
Arthur....

Once was secured at the Esplanade Moorings when the "Lochybank" came up the Hooghly, Main thing I remember was the pile of ash bags around the fiddley and smoke leaking from the SIDE of the funnel! She was white crew then and we were worried that the Super would have to round up all the apprentices in Calcutta from the five or six Bank boats in port to move "Lochybank" into Kidderpore Dock as the crew were in some sort of work stoppage. Didn't happen.

Welcome to SN. Its a great site! Nowadays the banana trade is containerized and is centered in Texas at Port Freeport.

Alistair Macnab
Houston TX

I was on the Southbank in Calcutta and a first trip appprentice and I remember the 2nd Mate and 3rd mate winding us apprentices up that we might be transferred to the LOCHYBANK it was supposed to be an absolute hell for appentices of that era.
JC

Lefty
9th November 2008, 02:32
Welcome aboard! Lochybank sounds a bit like the Commiliebank? (spelling atrocious! ) in my days. I heard she was the only vessel to log a negative mileage in one day in the Pacific! Cheers, Howard