I owe someone a hangover

jg grant
25th October 2008, 03:52
Tenakwe! About 1962/3 I was working by on a ship in my home port of Leith while the incumbent second crook and bricklayer went on leave to Hull I think it was. I had full use of his cabin in his absence and on my last day when knocking off I noted that his gear was back and a suit was hanging beside my own in the locker. I don't recall seeing him then. I caught the bus to Musselburgh where I lived and then went to the boozer.I was having a quiet pint when I discovered a sum of money in my suit pocket. About five quid as I recall.This was a pleasant surprise but remember in those days you could get a tailor made suit for about nineteen guineas remember Burtons, Jacksons,John Collier etc.I had maybe three suits and a blazer plus my MN uniform of Wranglers or Levis plus a couple of overcoats.That amounts to a fair few pockets in total. I also had never owned a wallet or a credit card so finding a stash was , as I have said, pleasant but not too surprising. Naturally like the MN lad that I was I proceeded to get rid of it as quickly as I could and got well and truely blootered.Next day I had to report to the ship for my time sheet to take to Salvesens office who were agents and who would pay me.The ship was ready for sea and only a rope ladder was available to get me aboard which I somehow managed.I went to the Chief Stewards cabin for my time sheet and next thing I got hassled a bit by the second asking if I had 'lifted' anything from his cabin. Naturally I denied any knowledge of anything amiss and I think by my reaction he realised I knew nothing and he left. The chief told me that some money had been stolen from the seconds cabin. I left the ship and went to Salvesens and it wasn't until later in the day I deduced what probably happened. I think he came in and hung his suit up next to mine and then stuffed his money in my hankie pocket.Sorry mate, but it wasn't my fault but I do owe you a hangover. Regards Ronnie.

billyboy
25th October 2008, 06:08
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to opffer. Great first story mate

janathull
25th October 2008, 06:18
Welcome to the site. Lovely yarn. Cheers janathull.

bert thompson
25th October 2008, 09:47
Welcome Ronnie and a great introduction. Hope you enjoy all that is offered on this site
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
25th October 2008, 09:53
Greetings Ron and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.