introducing myself

Frances1311
5th November 2008, 21:47
Just would like to say Hello to everyone.

Been researching family history and found Great Grandfather went from workhouse as an apprentice on fishing boat. Signed on for eight years aged 13. Poor little chap. He was born in Ipswich but went out on fishing boats from Lowestoft.

I remember when I was in primary school a long time ago being taken on a school trip to see the fishing fleet at Lowestoft.

I am sure I will find a lot of interesting info on this site. (A)

K urgess
5th November 2008, 21:50
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
There are a few of us in the crew with foundling forefathers who were apprenticed to the fishing fleet in various ports on the east coast.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of interest when you explore the ship.
Enjoy the voyage of discovery but beware, it's addictive.

non descript
5th November 2008, 21:50
Frances, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community: enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. (EEK)

gdynia
5th November 2008, 21:57
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Gulpers
5th November 2008, 23:11
Frances,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
5th November 2008, 23:24
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

I think you have come up against what most of us interested in family history do sooner or later - the lives of those whose fate appears cruel and sad to us in these days of comparative luxury. Take heart that your ancestor was rescued from the misery of the workhouse and obviously made good as he has you as a descendant! His life after leaving the workhouse would almost certainly have improved - even if it was hard. And working at the age of 13 was by no means unusual that long ago.

billyboy
6th November 2008, 05:28
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

bert thompson
6th November 2008, 08:27
Welcome Frances to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
6th November 2008, 10:09
Welcome Frances to SN. Bon voyage.

GWB