20 years since I left

Spanner
7th November 2008, 17:34
Hi everyone.
I came across this site as a result of the advert on the back of Ships Monthly and have enjoyed the odd glance through the forum.
I started as an engineer cadet with T&J Harrison in 1977 attending Riversdale CofT and, when they stopped taking their cadets into the company, joined Bolton Maritime Management in 1981. Then sailed with IOM Steam Packet, reaching the rank of 2nd, in 1985.
I left the sea in 1988 to take up a career in flying.
I'm not a big contributor to forums in general but thoroughly enjoy the diverse experiences and opinions written here.
All the Best.
Jon

Bruce Carson
7th November 2008, 18:00
Jan, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's good to hear you're enjoying our site.
Now that you have posted to the forum, you may hear from old shipmates before long.

Bruce

K urgess
7th November 2008, 18:07
Welcome aboard, Jon.
You may find this a little addictive now you've signed on and joined the crew.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.

Derek Roger
7th November 2008, 19:02
Welcome from Canada ; I notice you joined in April feel free to join the conversations and post some pictures .

Cheers Derek

bert thompson
7th November 2008, 19:45
Welcome Jon to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
7th November 2008, 22:55
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

martyn greenhalgh
7th November 2008, 23:58
Welcome to SN Spanner I joined Harrisons in 66 a cadet eng and left in 72 my last ship being the Defender.I was at Riversdale col 70-71

Steve Woodward
8th November 2008, 01:08
Jon,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us
Steve

J Boyde
8th November 2008, 07:55
Spaner, I did my flying time during my apprenticeship, got my licence, then turned around and went to sea. Probably have made more money flying but I have no regrets going to sea,
Jim B

R58484956
8th November 2008, 09:21
Greetings Jon and a warm welcome to SN. Happy flights and bon voyage.

Spanner
8th November 2008, 09:24
Hi All.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Leaving the sea wasn't about trying to make more money though, of course, we all have to keep bread on the table, it was about finding a more secure career (hmmm..... how that's changed) after the the threat of redundancy for the third time in 10 years. I'd always wanted to fly and had gone someway toward my Private Licence when I got the chance to get a commercial licence and a job with an airline afterwards.
The ships I sailed on were;
Linguist, Astronomer, Adviser, Nosira Lin, Reynolds, Nosira Madelaine, Nosira Sharon, Mona's Queen, Lady of Mann, Peveril, Antrim Princess, Tynwald.
I have to say that I wouldn't change a thing. I regard my time at sea as a real priviledge but glad that I got the chance to change.
On reflection, I think it says alot for my time at sea that I can remember fondly so much of it and still talk about it (too much if you ask my kids).

Gulpers
8th November 2008, 12:18
Jon,

......and a warm welcome to the site from me too!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.
Now that you've broken the ice, I'm sure we will enjoy any contributions you make to the threads. With your impressive background, there must be a tale or two just awaiting to be told! (Thumb)

Fieldsy
8th November 2008, 12:22
Hi All.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Leaving the sea wasn't about trying to make more money though, of course, we all have to keep bread on the table, it was about finding a more secure career (hmmm..... how that's changed) after the the threat of redundancy for the third time in 10 years. I'd always wanted to fly and had gone someway toward my Private Licence when I got the chance to get a commercial licence and a job with an airline afterwards.
The ships I sailed on were;
Linguist, Astronomer, Adviser, Nosira Lin, Reynolds, Nosira Madelaine, Nosira Sharon, Mona's Queen, Lady of Mann, Peveril, Antrim Princess, Tynwald.
I have to say that I wouldn't change a thing. I regard my time at sea as a real priviledge but glad that I got the chance to change.
On reflection, I think it says alot for my time at sea that I can remember fondly so much of it and still talk about it (too much if you ask my kids).

Hi John,
I also sailed on the Linguist (7 trips on the trot around 1974-76) and also on the Astronomer and Adviser - couple of trips on each. Perhaps our paths crossed?
Kevin Fields

benjidog
8th November 2008, 15:54
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Spanner
9th November 2008, 19:17
Hi John,
I also sailed on the Linguist (7 trips on the trot around 1974-76) and also on the Astronomer and Adviser - couple of trips on each. Perhaps our paths crossed?
Kevin Fields

Hi Kevin.
I have to say the name does sound familiar and though I don't think we sailed together, I'm sure we probably know one or two of the same people.
Best Regards
Jon Bregazzi

martyn greenhalgh
9th November 2008, 23:58
hi Spanner.I didn,t sail on the linguist but her sister ship Trader.Did a West Indies then loaded phosphate in Florida.Came back N. Atlantic in Feb, roughest trip i ever had.

Fieldsy
10th November 2008, 08:09
Jon/Martyn,
Pictures of both the Linguist and Trader here:

http://www.rickspage.co.uk/DigiPics/Harrison%20Line%20ships/index.html

Never sailed on the Trader but worked by on her in Liverpool for a couple of weeks after she broke the drive shaft (near the coupling), pretty much as she arrived at the bar. Brought in by tugs.
The shore gang did all the work but they wanted an engineer familiar with the ship, and I'd just come off the Linguist, to help with re-routing cooling water and air lines etc. whilst they lifted the shaft out.
I was then asked to go and join the Benefactor, and was off like a shot as it was a great ship.

Spanner
11th November 2008, 21:41
Hi Kevin.
Always found it hard to find a decent photo of Harrison Line ships, especially the Linguist, they always seemed to be of the Trader. Thanks for the link.
Think I saw the Benefactor once, at Port Said, but might have ben mistaken. People always talked of it in glowing terms.
All the best
Jon

Portreekid
18th December 2008, 14:44
Jon/Martyn,
Pictures of both the Linguist and Trader here:

http://www.rickspage.co.uk/DigiPics/Harrison%20Line%20ships/index.html

Never sailed on the Trader but worked by on her in Liverpool for a couple of weeks after she broke the drive shaft (near the coupling), pretty much as she arrived at the bar. Brought in by tugs.
The shore gang did all the work but they wanted an engineer familiar with the ship, and I'd just come off the Linguist, to help with re-routing cooling water and air lines etc. whilst they lifted the shaft out.
I was then asked to go and join the Benefactor, and was off like a shot as it was a great ship.

Sailed for a couple of years with Harrisons but a bit later on (1989-91) Was on the Author and the Adviser. Initially as eng cadet and subsequently Junior and 4th. Denholms were manning them at this point but still a lot of original Harrison guys there.

Regarding the shore gang you mentioned; I know the Harrison shore side guys we worked with had all been there for years so were possibly around then too? Alan Macdonald, Alan Crowther, Tegwyn Jones and Rodney Pope were on numerous times when I was there.

bert thompson
18th December 2008, 14:56
Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

Portreekid
18th December 2008, 15:05
Thanks for the welcome Bert - in your "home port" Lerwick as we speak

Quiney
18th December 2008, 18:40
Hi Jon

What reletion to Mark Bregazzi are you??

I sail with mark for many years on the Peveril.

John Quine